2015 Salary/cap Space

When is the new CBA going to be worked out? I'm assuming after the season, but is there a certain date that they've decided to start discussions?

IDK if a 3rd DP is a good idea, at least right now. There may be some very good players left unprotected in the expansion draft (including DPs) solely due to their age and/or contract situation. Maybe we should start thinking of what players on other teams might not be protected and who we'd want to take. That could give us a better picture of how much salary space would be needed. I'm sure that's what our FO is doing right now.

I believe DPs are protected from the expansion draft by default.

Reactions: adam
When is the new CBA going to be worked out? I'm assuming after the season, but is there a certain date that they've decided to start discussions?
We don't know. I assume there is nothing stopping them from negotiating right now, but I would assume it will start after the season. Hopefully they get it done in December so we can move forward with all the drafts and player signings.

Last CBA wasn't finalized until right before the season started in March, so expect a troublesome preseason.

Also I agree it might be best to wait for 3rd DP signing until after the expansion draft when the core comes together. Kreis & Reyna might not know yet what they really need until then.

Reactions: John Visconi
Once again, yes they do just not the whole cost. Any player who costs more than $387,500 for either wage/ transfer or both must be a DP, however only only $387,500 hits against the salary cap. The rest is up to the club ownership to pay on their own without assistance or burden on the league.

Make sense?

Read the official rules here:
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

Just a quick little clarification, any players over the max salary are a DP. The max salary last I knew was 400k but I know it has gone up since then, perhaps 450k? Any DP counts at $387.5k. So technically a non-dp can hit the cap harder than a dp.
At least that's how I remember it. I try not to follow the specifics of the salary structure too closely in this league because they are so complicated and frequently changing.

Well there are a few players in MLS making over $387,500 who are not DPs, they seem to be exceptions not the rule. Almost all players making over $387,500 are DPs. I could only find 2 exceptions.

*Exceptions include (it seems)
-Jose Goncalves who makes $450,000 for NE Revs but isn't a DP.
-Nigel Reo-Coker makes $400,000 at Whitecaps, but isn't a DP.

Seems odd, at $450k/$400k they are a bigger hit against the cap. Why not use the DP slot and only hit $387,500 against the cap? Whitecaps were using all 3, but NE aren't using any (since loaning Jerry Bengtson). Weird. It could be these teams are buying down the salaries to less than DP with Allocation Funds. Thats hard to track.

Here is the list of 2014 Salaries in MLS
http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April 1, 2014 Salary Information - Alphabetical.pdf

Here is a official list of Designated Players in MLS
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/designated-players

If anything, it looks like if the DP slots become tradable, NE Revs might by NYCFC's new best friend. ;)

IDK if a 3rd DP is a good idea, at least right now. There may be some very good players left unprotected in the expansion draft (including DPs) solely due to their age and/or contract situation. Maybe we should start thinking of what players on other teams might not be protected and who we'd want to take. That could give us a better picture of how much salary space would be needed. I'm sure that's what our FO is doing right now.
I agree with this, if NYCFC and OCSC both have 3 DP's by the time the expansion draft rolls around then it will make things a lot easier for teams to protect players. They wouldnt have to protect any of their DP's. Not having a 3rd DP before the draft makes a lot of sense and would force teams to protect their DP's and leave some other good players available. I would think signing the final DP in January would be the smartest move

Reactions: adam
Last CBA wasn't finalized until right before the season started in March, so expect a troublesome preseason.

Also I agree it might be best to wait for 3rd DP signing until after the expansion draft when the core comes together. Kreis & Reyna might not know yet what they really need until then.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's going to be difficult. This is going to be a big deal for both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a few games, but hopefully that doesn't happen. Pressure on MLS to make sure that doesn't happen with NYCFC starting.

Won't know the answer to this for a while.

Cleaned up a touch and updated w/ new player.

Description: Amount ($ 000s) % of
MLS Salary Cap 3,100.00 Total

LESS
Attack
Villa 387.50 12.5%

MF
Frank 387.50 12.5%
DP3 387.50 12.5%
Jacobson 200.00 6.5%

Defense
Brovsky 115.00 3.7%

Keeper
Saunders 95.00 3.1%

Penalty
3 DPs 150.00 4.8%

Total 1,722.50 55.6%

CAP RMNDR 1,377.50 44.4%

Player Ct. 6 26.1%
Players Req. 23 -

Reactions: MagnusPax
I'm not sure we continue to add in Fantasy DP #3 every time. It's adding $500k that really hasn't been spoken for.

Cleaned up a touch and updated w/ new player.

Description: Amount ($ 000s) % of
MLS Salary Cap 3,100.00 Total

LESS
Attack
Villa 387.50 12.5%

MF
Frank 387.50 12.5%
DP3 387.50 12.5%
Jacobson 200.00 6.5%

Defense
Brovsky 115.00 3.7%

Keeper
Saunders 95.00 3.1%

Penalty
3 DPs 150.00 4.8%

Total 1,722.50 55.6%

CAP RMNDR 1,377.50 44.4%

Player Ct. 6 26.1%
Players Req. 23 -

I am pretty sure that only the first 20 count against the cap and if you choose to have only 18 first team players then only 18 will count.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Description: Amount ($ 000s) as %
MLS Salary Cap 3,100.00
LESS
Attack
Villa 387.50 12.5%
MF
Frank 387.50 12.5%
DP3 387.50 12.5%
Jacobson 200.00 6.5%
Defense
Brovsky 115.00 3.7%
Keeper
Saunders 95.00 3.1%
Penalty
3 DPs 150.00 4.8%
Total 1,722.50 55.6%
CAP RMNDR 1,377.50 44.4%
Player Ct. 6 33.3%
Players Req. 18 -

NYRB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PASTING TABLES INTO THIS DAMN THING.

I am pretty sure that only the first 20 count against the cap and if you choose to have only 18 first team players then only 18 will count.

I seem to think there were more constraints on this. Interesting loophole; see below.

However any GA or Homegrown players must be one if these 10, could get filled up. It's also interesting that the rules seemed tailored to forcing clubs to pay a minimum salary. NYCFC in most situations will need to a rule to maximize expenses.
  • Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).
    • All Generation adidas players are Off-Budget players.
    • Players occupying roster spots 1-24 will earn at least $48,500 in 2014.
    • Players occupying roster spots 25-30 will earn at least $36,500 in 2014.
    • Clubs may sign up to two Homegrown Players contracts above the minimum salary and similar to Generation adidas player contract amounts.

I seem to think there were more constraints on this. Interesting loophole; see below.

However any GA or Homegrown players must be one if these 10, could get filled up. It's also interesting that the rules seemed tailored to forcing clubs to pay a minimum salary. NYCFC in most situations will need to a rule to maximize expenses.
  • Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).
    • All Generation adidas players are Off-Budget players.
    • Players occupying roster spots 1-24 will earn at least $48,500 in 2014.
    • Players occupying roster spots 25-30 will earn at least $36,500 in 2014.
    • Clubs may sign up to two Homegrown Players contracts above the minimum salary and similar to Generation adidas player contract amounts.

This whole off budget thing confusing me, if they are off budget and occupy spots 21-30 can they play in games? If so is there a wage cap on those players? seems as though teams can hide players in the 21-30 and get around the cap, MLS rules are crazy.