Salary Cap Available For Another Big Signing

I'm guessing No on Drogba, as well. But that's just a guess.

I will say this, don't forget that we are only on the hook for 1/2 year of salary. You never know with allocation money, but let's say he takes a salary from Aug 1 to November of 800k. Not a bad pay day. 425k of allocation money buys him to below the cap figure.

It's doable. Then he is free in December to latch on elsewhere.

Cut Williams, Grabavoy, Wingert and Velasquez. Bring in 3 squad players on minimum salary. That leaves us with around $220k + $300k cap space for a really decent player.

BTW George John is on $300,000.

Last edited:
82710-are-you-kidding-me-gif-Jersey-F5zf.gif

Reactions: Paul and Gavin23
Well, to be fair. IF george john can get healthy , and IF he can get to his prior form. That 300 k is worth it imo.

Reactions: Kjbert
Cut Williams, Grabavoy, Wingert and Velasquez. Bring in 3 squad players on minimum salary. That leaves us with around $220k + $300k cap space for a really decent player.

Regardless of anything else, first part is canonical.

any word on who the "other euro player" is?

It's been surprisingly quiet this week despite the multiple sources reporting we are tying to add 3-5 more players. Just the blip about Mashamaite that may not be true, and the dragging Pirlo negotiations.

If CFG is trying to get these guys on the field ASAP (July 12), they should have got these guys in time to start training by Monday. I was also expecting one more loanee, but I have no idea what the holdup would be on that.

Unless they really are doing a big Sunday event to announce a couple new players. But my hopes for that are pretty low.

Reactions: Kjbert
Unless they really are doing a big Sunday event to announce a couple new players. But my hopes for that are pretty low.
I'm torn on this. I was convinced we'd get an announcement today, but that seems less and less likely. The extra ESPN attention might make a Sunday pre-game or in-game announcement pretty appealing from a marketing perspective.

Agreed about getting people into training ASAP though. I don't think we'll have chemistry issues near as bad as at the start of the season, but you'd think they'd know better than to just throw a bunch of new guys on the field.

It's been surprisingly quiet this week despite the multiple sources reporting we are tying to add 3-5 more players. Just the blip about Mashamaite that may not be true, and the dragging Pirlo negotiations.

If CFG is trying to get these guys on the field ASAP (July 12), they should have got these guys in time to start training by Monday. I was also expecting one more loanee, but I have no idea what the holdup would be on that.

I do find it interesting that they post practice photos almost every week but nothing this week. Makes me wonder if some of the new guys are already with the team.

I do find it interesting that they post practice photos almost every week but nothing this week. Makes me wonder if some of the new guys are already with the team.
I definitely thought of this too. Made me think they'd announce his signing when the PA announcer introduced the starting lineups.

Well, in my dream that's exactly how it happened!

Reactions: SayWhat44
You know I thought I had seen a picture of Angelina with his mom in central park but I don't see it now. It's possible I am making this up though.

John's salary I think is except from cap. At least this year while on the DL. So is Taylor.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
I was curious and decided to read the MLS rules about the salary cap. NYCFC allocation money can be used to sign players new to MLS and that allocation money spent on salary does not count toward the salary cap. MLS policy is to not make public the amount of allocation money each team has. I seem to remember we were making trades for extra allocation money before the season started. Taylor is on the season-ending DL list and his salary does not count toward the cap. At this point it seems like the Club can put Josh Williams and/or George John on season ending DL and clear salary cap and roster space that way.