2017 Roster Discussion

I suspect that they are still just doing a dance, and ultimately he'll be cut at the last possible moment if necessary. It's a silly dance.

This would be ideal. We need that cap space back rather badly.

It goes to show how good our management is that we can put together a playoff team with a 10% cap handicap.

He owns several NYC apartments?

Also, I wonder if the Red Bulls would pounce if we cut him. Mix could stay in NYC, stick it to his old team, while earning two paychecks.
I mean, I'd hate to play them with him in their MF, but it would be extremely interesting & entertaining and borderline tragic.

Reactions: adam
I guess that's why he needs the $750k x 2 to cover his mortgages and maintenance costs.
Probably. I bet he bought the additional properties after he was frozen out. Great investment for long term nest egg. Get the majority of them paid off with the $1.5M, hold them a few years, and their value will likely go up enough that selling them pads his retirement.

Reactions: adam and joe
Let's try and parse out the only 3 sentences on Mix we've gotten from the club in well, ever:

I
[PV made the call to let him "shop himself?" - is the club even actively trying to move him on?] just gave him a few days for him to try and find a way that he can play a little bit more often with a team,” Vieira said. “Then we have to speak with Claudio and find out because if he doesn’t find a team, he’s still under contract with us and that means he will have to come back. [come back, as in we wouldn't use the cut? why even bring him back physically if we're planning to cut him?] We gave him a few days to challenge himself and try to find a way to find a team where he will be able to play a little bit more often.” [a little bit more often seems like a strange way of putting it - hes not playing at all, and it's not like he's some bench depth player, according to his salary hit on our books]

Yea I tried, but can't really read anything into it. Maybe PV sounds a little more on the outside of this, trying to "help" Mix while Reyna keeps him locked up? NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE!

Reactions: adam
That's demonstrably false and I don't even need to look at the CBA to disprove it. Case in point, Josh Saunders salary in 2015 vs 2016.

Uh, you sure about that? Check the different rules on free agents vs. tendered out of contract players.

I'm mostly being facetious with the lead in quote, but:

Christian Araos ‏@Christian_Araos 14m14 minutes ago

Since no one else is attributing, #NYCFC are saying Mix Diskerud is still not a part of their plans. Story on the way on EoS.
Hey he said that I was spreading fake news when I tweeted mix was coming back and suddenly he has a scoop on Mix staying?

Just for clarification, that Vieira quote is not new/in the context of current info w/r/t Arizona pre-season. In fact, Araos already used the quote in an article a few weeks ago:
http://www.empireofsoccer.com/vieir...rs-searching-for-playing-opportunities-57358/

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert and ktdNYCFC
Hey he said that I was spreading fake news when I tweeted mix was coming back and suddenly he has a scoop on Mix staying?
If he does some basic reporting and gets the anonymous background info about what the hell happened like we discussed overnight all will be forgiven.

Let's try and parse out the only 3 sentences on Mix we've gotten from the club in well, ever:

I
[PV made the call to let him "shop himself?" - is the club even actively trying to move him on?] just gave him a few days for him to try and find a way that he can play a little bit more often with a team,” Vieira said. “Then we have to speak with Claudio and find out because if he doesn’t find a team, he’s still under contract with us and that means he will have to come back. [come back, as in we wouldn't use the cut? why even bring him back physically if we're planning to cut him?] We gave him a few days to challenge himself and try to find a way to find a team where he will be able to play a little bit more often.” [a little bit more often seems like a strange way of putting it - hes not playing at all, and it's not like he's some bench depth player, according to his salary hit on our books]

Yea I tried, but can't really read anything into it. Maybe PV sounds a little more on the outside of this, trying to "help" Mix while Reyna keeps him locked up? NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE!
Good point, they are not trying to get him off the books according to these quotes. They are happy to let him rot and pay him. its up to him to find a club if he wants to play.

Good point, they are not trying to get him off the books according to these quotes. They are happy to let him rot and pay him. its up to him to find a club if he wants to play.
But he also punted to Claudio as to what happens, meaning CR/CFG still will have the call as to whether to cut, because otherwise he would have to come back. It's not entirely clear what this all means.

But he also punted to Claudio as to what happens, meaning CR/CFG still will have the call as to whether to cut, because otherwise he would have to come back. It's not entirely clear what this all means.
I know this is going to disappoint many here who are hoping we cut him, but they would be working double time to find a taker if they were planning on flushing his 1.5 million down the toilet. If they are leaving it to him to find another club or not, they are keeping him on the team.

Just like with the DP to TAM to GAM fantasies about the summer signings, the club has never shown itself to be savvy with our spending. Thats pure projection.

they would be working double time to find a taker if they were planning on flushing his 1.5 million down the toilet.

True, and unfortunately it seems like that 1.5 will be flushed either way. Really hope we find out one day what he did that makes flushing said 1.5 a worthwhile alternative for the club. Hell, maybe they will just factor it into next year's ticket prices (sharpens pitchfork).

Still curious if it had something to do with his Abby Wambach comments. We already know PV takes social media seriously, after the Mikey/Khiry incident and ban. Maybe he was asked to walk back his statements and refused. And then you have the whole Poku situation (also a fan favorite and decent player, frozen out). Granted, we made out alright with that one, but there's still an unsettling amount of underhanded ruthlessness to this FO that me no likey.

I know this is going to disappoint many here who are hoping we cut him, but they would be working double time to find a taker if they were planning on flushing his 1.5 million down the toilet. If they are leaving it to him to find another club or not, they are keeping him on the team.

Just like with the DP to TAM to GAM fantasies about the summer signings, the club has never shown itself to be savvy with our spending. Thats pure projection.
I think that it would disappoint more than many here if we decided to carry a dead spot for another season. Fortunately, we won't have to debate interpretations of Christian Araos quotes for much longer before we find out.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
NYCFC Depth Chart

Depth Chart
Forward/Winger: Villa, Shelton, Okoli
Winger/Attacking Mid: Moralez, Harrison, McNamara, Camargo, Lewis
Central Mid: Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, Lopez, Mix
Left Back: Matarrita
Center Back: Chanot, Brillant, Callens, White
Right Back: Allen, Gomez
Goalkeeper: Johnson, Johansen, Rawls

Unsigned Draft Picks: K. Awuah (D), J. Brown (M), C. Wingate (M)
Trialists: J. Sands (D), B. Sweat (D), J. Stertzer (M)

======

We have 23 players, including Herrera, MiniMax and Mix, but excluding the unsigned draft picks and trialists.

EDIT: The positions for the unsigned players are from the team's press release for the Arizona roster.