2017 Roster Discussion

With the above depth chart, I think we are good on the attacking end, with depth at striker, wing and central attacking mid. We maybe could use a backup central defensive mid, but can probably get by with what we have.

What we need is another left back - particularly given Matarrita's national team obligations, another center back and maybe a utility defender.

Some of what we need may be filled by trialists. I think anyone else we get will be for depth and not a regular in the 189 (assuming Herrera and Minimax are coming).

NYCFC Depth Chart

Depth Chart
Forward/Winger: Villa, Shelton, Okoli
Winger/Attacking Mid: Moralez, Harrison, McNamara, Camargo, Lewis
Central Mid: Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, Lopez, Mix
Left Back: Matarrita
Center Back: Chanot, Brillant, Callens, White
Right Back: Allen, Gomez
Goalkeeper: Johnson, Johansen, Rawls

Unsigned Draft Picks: K. Awuah (D), J. Brown (M), C. Wingate (M)
Trialists: J. Sands (D), B. Sweat (D), J. Stertzer (M)

======

We have 23 players, including Herrera, MiniMax and Mix, but excluding the unsigned draft picks and trialists.

I think we sign Awuah, even if for no reason other than he can play left back. Looking a little short in that department. I also have a gut feeling they let Sands finish high school, but I hope they prove me wrong.

True, and unfortunately it seems like that 1.5 will be flushed either way. Really hope we find out one day what he did that makes flushing said 1.5 a worthwhile alternative for the club. Hell, maybe they will just factor it into next year's ticket prices (sharpens pitchfork).

Still curious if it had something to do with his Abby Wambach comments. We already know PV takes social media seriously, after the Mikey/Khiry incident and ban. Maybe he was asked to walk back his statements and refused. And then you have the whole Poku situation (also a fan favorite and decent player, frozen out). Granted, we made out alright with that one, but there's still an unsettling amount of underhanded ruthlessness to this FO that me no likey.
I don't think it's underhanded ruthlessness, I think it's as simple as they decided the player didn't fit into their plans anymore and they waste no time moving on. I actually prefer it

I don't think it's underhanded ruthlessness, I think it's as simple as they decided the player didn't fit into their plans anymore and they waste no time moving on. I actually prefer it

IMO wasting time is exactly what they are doing, by (seemingly) not actively trying to move Mix (they let him go off on his own to try and find another club), and by not cutting him the first moment they realized they were unsuccessful in finding a buyer. That's a lot of roster space that could be used for this season. Instead we elect to go in with a handicap.

IMO wasting time is exactly what they are doing, by (seemingly) not actively trying to move Mix (they let him go off on his own to try and find another club) QUOTE]
I bet that they tried to move him, and (obviously and not surprisingly) failed. Even the EOS article FWTIW suggested that the team tried to move him domestically and a deal fell through because Mix apparently has graduated from hats to real estate. My guess is that they tried to move him internationally as well but for all the reasons we discussed (many the fault of the team), he's a tough sell abroad and that was a dead end. So there was no point wasting any additional time or resources over the past few weeks chasing fantasies. That still leaves us in the same place - he's either putting us at a massive disadvantage rostered, or he's a $1.5 million (plus) loss for a lesson learned. We will see shortly if they brain fuck a no-brainer.

Again it's crazy to me that we who aren't journalists seem to be the only people who figured out that maybe by speaking to former NYCFC players, some light on the Mix situation could be acquired. We should get paid to cover the team.
I may be wrong, but I was just thinking about it and there is Glenn Crooks, who is on the payroll, and the rest of the coverage is all essentially unpaid bloggers right? The infrequent coverage in the post or whatever is based off press releases and conference calls.

In reality, a team in a salary capped league should not be able to get by with vague statements about a 750000 asset it is shutting out. The question should be #1 at every interview until its answered sufficiently. But who will ask that 50 times, after every game, every appearance? The bloggers I'm sure have tenuous access to the team anyway, and Crooks can't be expected to ask it.

Even the EOS article FWTIW suggested that the team tried to move him domestically and a deal fell through because Mix apparently has graduated from hats to real estate.

Maybe that was his play all along, and we just funded his startup. It all makes so much sense. He's exactly the type of guy to end up on that NYC real estate show with the overly-manicured guys that my wife watches all the time!

I may be wrong, but I was just thinking about it and there is Glenn Crooks, who is on the payroll, and the rest of the coverage is all essentially unpaid bloggers right? The infrequent coverage in the post or whatever is based off press releases and conference calls.

In reality, a team in a salary capped league should not be able to get by with vague statements about a 750000 asset it is shutting out. The question should be #1 at every interview until its answered sufficiently. But who will ask that 50 times, after every game, every appearance? The bloggers I'm sure have tenuous access to the team anyway, and Crooks can't be expected to ask it.
The outside-the-box approach would be for a non-NYCFC journalist to write it... meaning somebody from a different city/team - there are other writers out there that are paid to cover soccer. For them, it may not be about their particular beat, but writing it would draw a ton of traffic to their paper, so they can sell the idea to their editor. And really, it is the one big player mystery in MLS, so non-NYCFC readers would be very interested to get the answers too. Kinda surprised that Steven Goff (Washington Post) doesn't take Mullins out for drinks with his notebook; that's the easiest interview for him, but a phone call to any of the others on the list would be easy too.

I think we sign Awuah, even if for no reason other than he can play left back. Looking a little short in that department. I also have a gut feeling they let Sands finish high school, but I hope they prove me wrong.
We already spent 75k in allocation for him. He better make the team. Draft profiles have said that he projects out to holding midfield or LB, but I think RJ Allen ultimately gets the nod as our second string LB. He had a nice assist against Emelec (and off his left foot I believe). We have Gomez, Mata, Chanot, Allen, Awuah, & White who all can play fullback. IDK if it is really needed to have a 7th guy.