2017 Roster Discussion

I swear if our 3rd dp is a loanee with barely any first team experience we will be officially a farm club. I'm sorry but it's true we don't invest in any young players we plan to keep for the long haul only sign cheap players and old dps. Sad truth

Reactions: NickA and Kjbert
The outside-the-box approach would be for a non-NYCFC journalist to write it... meaning somebody from a different city/team - there are other writers out there that are paid to cover soccer. For them, it may not be about their particular beat, but writing it would draw a ton of traffic to their paper, so they can sell the idea to their editor. And really, it is the one big player mystery in MLS, so non-NYCFC readers would be very interested to get the answers too. Kinda surprised that Steven Goff (Washington Post) doesn't take Mullins out for drinks with his notebook; that's the easiest interview for him, but a phone call to any of the others on the list would be easy too.
I would love nothing more than someone like Goff or Wahl to cover this and finally get the truth out, but I'm pretty sure it's not for lack of trying. The team is great at keeping this type of information in house.

Even if one of those guys asks the question there's no chance anyone will come out and say what happened. Both sides understand that they have to keep it professional. NYCFC knows if they trash Mix players will hesitate to come here, and if Mix trashes the club other teams may not want to pick up a player with that reputation.

It's not like no one has asked what happened. Vieira's been asked on ESPN, by local and national guys at events like Villa's MVP ceremony and it's the same recycled answers. So I'm not too hopeful we'll find out the truth anytime soon.

Reactions: danger and Kjbert
Are we looking at a situation of Maxi or Herrera?

Or are they both coming and no one knows which one is the DP and which isn't?

Reactions: Kjbert
I would love nothing more than someone like Goff or Wahl to cover this and finally get the truth out, but I'm pretty sure it's not for lack of trying. The team is great at keeping this type of information in house.

Even if one of those guys asks the question there's no chance anyone will come out and say what happened. Both sides understand that they have to keep it professional. NYCFC knows if they trash Mix players will hesitate to come here, and if Mix trashes the club other teams may not want to pick up a player with that reputation.

It's not like no one has asked what happened. Vieira's been asked on ESPN, by local and national guys at events like Villa's MVP ceremony and it's the same recycled answers. So I'm not too hopeful we'll find out the truth anytime soon.

The only leaks this season have been with the first team jersey and that's probably the fault of Adidas. There's nothing CFG hates more than rats, or grounded pigeons.

Reactions: Kjbert and NYCFCfan
So apparently Herrera will be our 3rd dp and won't be a loanee

He can be both.

My guess is that his comp and acquisition costs are too high to let us just use TAM.

Other possibility is that we are going to make him a DP to gain salary cap benefits until we sign our real 3rd DP this summer.

I can't remember, but there IS some sort of rule for loanees costing the same amount towards the cap as they would at their "home club", correct?

That rule only applies to loans from affiliate clubs - i.e. us from Man City and New Jersey from Leipzig. For all other loans it is just by the terms of the loan itself.

All true, but Goff can talk to former players and keep them anonymous. The team-league will know there's a leak, but at a certain point who cares since it's impossible to hide a white elephant?

Reactions: adam

Well, there are two questions.

1. WTF Happened with Mix? He's a good enough player to see the field, so why isn't he playing?
2. What will you do with Mix? Why not use the one time buyout?

People have chased the first question, although I do suspect there are enough people outside of NYCFC with knowledge for a good reporter to get the answer.

Nobody is asking the second question, which is what NYCFC fans really care about now.

You guys are putting way to much stock into a throwaway headline. That article is written on 24-hour old, public information. We have an open DP spot, so any foreign signing is a potential DP and "journalists" will run with it to grab views. Badji was reported as a potential DP as well.

Nothing to see here.

Except to be optimistic about us netting a young, high-potential CDM who was captain of the Venezuelan U-20 team. According to Transfermarkt, he's also played some CB.

All true, but Goff can talk to former players and keep them anonymous. The team-league will know there's a leak, but at a certain point who cares since it's impossible to hide a white elephant?
Even then it's not like it'll be a secret as to who talked. Besides what would a former player gain from talking anonymously?
Well, there are two questions.

1. WTF Happened with Mix? He's a good enough player to see the field, so why isn't he playing?
2. What will you do with Mix? Why not use the one time buyout?

People have chased the first question, although I do suspect there are enough people outside of NYCFC with knowledge for a good reporter to get the answer.

Nobody is asking the second question, which is what NYCFC fans really care about now.
1. That's what no one is saying.
2. They've asked that before and it's "we'll give him time to find a team", but I promise you if I get a chance I'll ask about the buyout option. Though I think they won't tip their hand either way, why let him know you'll buy him out unless you have no other option?

Even then it's not like it'll be a secret as to who talked. Besides what would a former player gain from talking anonymously?

1. That's what no one is saying.
2. They've asked that before and it's "we'll give him time to find a team", but I promise you if I get a chance I'll ask about the buyout option. Though I think they won't tip their hand either way, why let him know you'll buy him out unless you have no other option?
If it's anonymous, then who's to say it's a former player? Could be a current one or somebody in the organization. The team would have too many suspects to pursue and wouldn't bother with any.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
If it's anonymous, then who's to say it's a former player? Could be a current one or somebody in the organization. The team would have too many suspects to pursue and wouldn't bother with any.
But again, look at it from the players point of view.

What do you gain?
Now compare that with possible backlash if teams find out it was you.

What do you gain?
Offer them vast amounts of (discount) chocolate/candy (in stores tomorrow, post Valentines Day). Maybe a deli sandwich to Wingert since he's far from the NY area, probably misses that a lot.

What do you gain?
Many people have an irrational willingness to share confidential information because it makes them feel smart, or clued-in, or important. And yes it can be self destructive, but people still do it. As far as I can tell it's how most reporting gets done, outside of the part that is retyping press releases.