2017 Roster Discussion

For Maxi you forgot, a guy of his size is going to struggle with the physicality of the MLS.

I don't equate "physicality" with just strength. Physical skill is definitely required in MLS, partially because the technical skill level is low, so the players have to differentiate themselves somehow. But physical skill can be size, strength, speed, or quickness. There are plenty of fast players in this league that do very well despite not being physically strong.

I'm not that worried about Maxi - there's no league in the world where he isn't the smallest player on the pitch, so this is nothing new. His quickness, positioning, and skill should disorient MLS defenders.

Sorry, I was just having fun with the teaser chatter. Edited to add a smiley face and warning.

giphy.gif

Ultimate troll job if he starts, plays well, and the other team surprisingly says, "thanks but no thanks, I just wanted to get your hopes up."

[ducks as beer bottles are thrown]

Edit: as much as I throughly despise RB, if they trolled us in the manner I wrote above, I'd give them massive props because that would take the trolling from social media to actual FO and we'd deserve it for being gullible.
"We're considering him at CDM, could you play him against us" would be a hell of a handshake deal even if they went through with it.

Or even better, like with Weight and Tikkanen, Mix is traded just before the game to Houston. He swaps his number 404 (< all Chris P.) for a Houston kit. Even though he's playing CDM, apparently his preferred position, he incredibly scores a hat trick against his just newly former squad. After the game he tweets ambiguous prose. It turns out the prose actually cross-references the lyrics to Katy Perry's Roar, with lyrics so apropos. One of his twitter followers, a huge Katy Perry fan, curiously asks Mix to explain the reference. Mix's only response, "ask my old friend LionNYC LionNYC".

My reply to that Tweet...

Doyle wasn't even on ETR yesterday, and yet you still managed to guess almost exactly the consensus take. That's how predictable those guys are. And yet, I keep on listening.

Hell, SITC is getting just as bad on the Pete and Re-pete act. Crooks alternates between parroting club talking points and stating blatantly idiotic stuff that's just factually incorrect. Abramowitz giving Crooks shit, but at least he brings an analysis that would put him in the top half of forum posters. The host seemingly exasperated with the lot of them, and the Latino guy providing the most intelligent insights but having trouble with the basics of broadcast (bungling names, struggling to communicate ideas).

And don't even get me started on Januzj Michalik saying there were "100s of Pulisics around the world". I tweeted and asked him to name me 5 of them. Crickets.
To be fair, I think Januzj has a solid understanding of the game - very granular. But it's paired with a penchant for the gratuitously controversial. Not surprised you were so quick to recognize it ;)

Well March 2 is the end of #MixWatch. We'll be seeing an article on NYCFC.com around then regarding his fate. Or not, if they keep his salary on the books for the year to become the highest paid practice team player in the world.
Feb 27, 2017, mlssoccer.com: Rumors Swirl Around Diskerud's Future

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
For Maxi you forgot, a guy of his size is going to struggle with the physicality of the MLS.

Physicality is difference in MLS. It's not like great defense or holding opponents off the ball with strength. It's more like amateurs compensating for lack of skill. A lot of knocks and hacks. He's gonna need to be able to push through people physically and I don't think he has the motor to do that. He doesn't have the frame Acosta or Gio has. Maxi's damage will mainly be off the ball and on the wings, look for a 1v1...cut or cross. Everyone will be disappointed if they think we have Gio 2.0. Maxi is a much better version of Mendoza. That's his role now, or should be.

Physicality is difference in MLS. It's not like great defense or holding opponents off the ball with strength. It's more like amateurs compensating for lack of skill. A lot of knocks and hacks. He's gonna need to be able to push through people physically and I don't think he has the motor to do that. He doesn't have the frame Acosta or Gio has. Maxi's damage will mainly be off the ball and on the wings, look for a 1v1...cut or cross. Everyone will be disappointed if they think we have Gio 2.0. Maxi is a much better version of Mendoza. That's his role now, or should be.
I think his size is overblown. The MLS shit defenses will provide plenty of space off the ball for him to move. He won't be holding anyone up. Also the comparisons to Gio are pretty dumb besides being short they're different athletes. Gio is a strong guy he's just a midget. Maxi is a lot more physically like Acosta then anything. He doesn't need to hold anyone up. Villa will command attention that should open up space for Maxi. His presence in the middle should open up a lot of runs for our wingers. Question is if they can learn to make runs or not. Right now no one really has shown the ability to make runs without the ball. That includes Jack...