2017 Roster Discussion

Agreed Tommy can't play. I know the third rail will cry but he's not a starter or even a first option off the bench type of player. He's certainly a roster player and someone you keep around but not a regular minutes option.

Disagree. He was solid for us last year. We may have better options this year, but he's a guy every MLS team would be glad to have.

So basically, from my understand of the RJ and Tommy dread some people have, the two guys that we gave raises and extensions to are now players not good enough for the starting 11.

Did the front office just pull another Saunders?

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
So basically, from my understand of the RJ and Tommy dread some people have, the two guys that we gave raises and extensions to are now players not good enough for the starting 11.

Or are people taking far too much out of a preseason game?

These guys know they have a spot on the squad, and I really don't think we should take much out of it for the team veterans who know they already have a spot and are just getting a workout in. These are glorified scrimmages, and it's a little silly to take this much out of a preseason game.

The only goal RJ and Tommy have is to get ready for the season. That's it. Everything else, for them, is gravy. This is about getting a workout in and knocking off the rust.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. These guys likely make an extra $10k this season each. Tommy on $80k and RJ ON $75k is still good value in my mind.

http://www.football-italia.net/98577/pirlo-be-juventus-ambassador

So we'll have a DP spot in 2018 (likely as that's when Pirlo's contract ends). So bring in Khedira (or Torres) in the summer on a TAM contract this year and bump him up to a DP in 2018. Villa, Khedira (or Torres), and Maxi.
I dont think Maxi is going to be a DP next year. We will have to see what his salary is like when the union releases that info, but my guess is that we will be able to buy him down with TAM.

These guys know they have a spot on the squad, and I really don't think we should take much out of it for the team veterans who know they already have a spot and are just getting a workout in. These are glorified scrimmages, and it's a little silly to take this much out of a preseason game.

The only goal RJ and Tommy have is to get ready for the season. That's it. Everything else, for them, is gravy. This is about getting a workout in and knocking off the rust.
Sounds like you confused them for Pirlo and Villa.

I mean, mid-20s and middle to bottom of the roster guys in MLS damn sure better not have that attitude. That's a quick ticket on the express track to USL.

Last edited:
Sounds like you confused them for Pirlo and Villa.

I mean, mid-20s and middle to bottom of the roster guys in MLS damn sure better not have that attitude. That's a quick ticket on the express track to USL.

I think if you were talking about a Mikey Lopez you'd be right. But Tommy McNamara and RJ Allen have their spots on the squad.

Reactions: CCMore

Agree completely, thanks for saving me the time to write that. If Game 3 is as bad as this one was then we can talk, but unless that happens this is just the team getting in shape, and also trying to slot the new guys in (some of whom aren't even here yet). Feels too early to be too worried about it, at least for me.

3 games. No impact.

There is always an argument in this game that you should throw the names and numbers out and just watch.

One of those games was NYCFC reserves versus a full-strength NJ team, the other a glorified kickabout with some college kids from Jacksonville. I understand why people get over excited and decide to jump to conclusions based on the latest Saturday night prime time game they got to watch, but I'll wait to make any judgments until I see a sustained difference from what I've seen over the past two years.

Reactions: thesauerchise
Hmmm I don't remember if it always said that or not. He is with the academy so it's not like he can't put that in there. Looked for his brothers but couldn't find it.
On a quick search Gio also has NYCFC

It's been like that, not a recent addition. It's moreso about his academy affiliation than any hidden clue.

Reactions: Kjbert
One of those games was NYCFC reserves versus a full-strength NJ team, the other a glorified kickabout with some college kids from Jacksonville. I understand why people get over excited and decide to jump to conclusions based on the latest Saturday night prime time game they got to watch, but I'll wait to make any judgments until I see a sustained difference from what I've seen over the past two years.

A sustained difference over what we've seen the last two years would be an improvement. That's my concern.

And sharing the pitch with NYCFC reserves should have given him the opportunity to stand out - like Harrison did