2017 Roster Discussion

I predict Mix starts scores a hat trick and gets traded by midnight.... also I wonder what number he'll be wearing tonight...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Anyone know if any of the newer guys are with the team yet? Herrera / Wallace / maxi / ring / etc? Would be great to see at least one of them tonight. I assume Camargo has been there all along no?

Reactions: Kjbert
Anyone know if any of the newer guys are with the team yet? Herrera / Wallace / maxi / ring / etc? Would be great to see at least one of them tonight. I assume Camargo has been there all along no?
I believe Ring shows up today the others I believe are still waiting on visas but I'm not

Wallace is with the team.

Ring joins this weekend.

Herrera joins next week (unless there are visa delays)

Moralez I'm not sure of tbh, I assume he's also waiting for a visa.

Two cents having never seen Maxi play outside of his highlights....

If he has the technical ability that Villa has, and there's no reason to think otherwise, then the combination of those two are going to hurt the defenses' ability to double team them. Villa has shown that 1v1, no defender can mark him close enough to shut down a pass or shot when around the box, he's just too quick with his first step and dribble; the only way he is shut down is with a double/triple team. And the only reason defense's can collapse on him is because they aren't fearing the other players - i.e. There's always at least one NYCFC player that can be left unmarked (Shelton is a prime example). But if Maxi is added to the equation, that would require two double-teams which is defensive suicide on the chance that villa/Maxi do pick out the free player(s) in the box. Now what will really make this dangerous is if Lewis is just as nimble, and his highlights do hark a Silva-esque quality to them with his passing in the box.

It may not be that Maxi on his own is inherently dangerous/exciting, but how he makes others (and vice versa) more dangerous as a collective.

On vacation with spotty wifi, but my issue will be whether he can help get the ball to the forwards from midfield. The issue with Frank is that he didn't help move the ball. He sat in the box and waited for others to do the work. We didn't need another scorer we needed a midfielder.

Not saying he's not that, we don't know. But I was more excited to have ring in that spot as a true CM. I hope they play this guy on the wing

Two cents having never seen Maxi play outside of his highlights....

If he has the technical ability that Villa has, and there's no reason to think otherwise, then the combination of those two are going to hurt the defenses' ability to double team them. Villa has shown that 1v1, no defender can mark him close enough to shut down a pass or shot when around the box, he's just too quick with his first step and dribble; the only way he is shut down is with a double/triple team. And the only reason defense's can collapse on him is because they aren't fearing the other players - i.e. There's always at least one NYCFC player that can be left unmarked (Shelton is a prime example). But if Maxi is added to the equation, that would require two double-teams which is defensive suicide on the chance that villa/Maxi do pick out the free player(s) in the box. Now what will really make this dangerous is if Lewis is just as nimble, and his highlights do hark a Silva-esque quality to them with his passing in the box.

It may not be that Maxi on his own is inherently dangerous/exciting, but how he makes others (and vice versa) more dangerous as a collective.
This is such a great point. Lampard carried the load behind Villa through his ability of being in the right place at the right time. If Harrison, Shelton, etc. step up Maxi's ability to create space for others will take our offense to the next level.

This is such a great point. Lampard carried the load behind Villa through his ability of being in the right place at the right time. If Harrison, Shelton, etc. step up Maxi's ability to create space for others will take our offense to the next level.
You mean like we'll actually have a semi-consistent attack? I know the MLSperts talk about our goal scoring and conceding a lot, but I don't remember us actually breaking anyone down too often. We were most likely to score on a counter, some sloppy mess bouncing off of Frank or the occasional thunderbolt. Now, I now that's how most goals are scored by any team, but I would like to see us play prettier in the final third.

Additionally, I have the same concerns that T Tom in Fairfield CT has voiced, but I differ in that I'll specify that I don't want an 8 carrying the attack once we are through the midfield so I'm fine with Moralez having 10 responsibilities even if he starts wide (a la Lodeiro). Those concerns are why I stand by my 3-3-3-1/3-3-4 deployment plan. That setup more than any other would get more of the best talent on the pitch in their most effective areas.

Interesting write up, not sure I'm buying RJ at right back. My money is on a more CB like player there just knowing PVs preferred style. Chanot seems the most likely as he has played RB with other clubs, long shot prediction is Herrera sees time at RB. He has CB size but enough passing ability to play CDM. If PV goes back to the RB pinching into the center of the field on offense that he toyed with at the end of last year Chanot and Herrera might be the best options. I like RJ but to me he's always looked most comfortable hugging the right sideline on both defense and offense. Maybe he learns to play in space but when he tucked into the center of the field last year it didn't go well.

I think his size is overblown. The MLS shit defenses will provide plenty of space off the ball for him to move. He won't be holding anyone up. Also the comparisons to Gio are pretty dumb besides being short they're different athletes. Gio is a strong guy he's just a midget. Maxi is a lot more physically like Acosta then anything. He doesn't need to hold anyone up. Villa will command attention that should open up space for Maxi. His presence in the middle should open up a lot of runs for our wingers. Question is if they can learn to make runs or not. Right now no one really has shown the ability to make runs without the ball. That includes Jack...

How is comparing him to an undersized player, that played the same position, in the same league, at the same time, "dumb"?

On vacation with spotty wifi, but my issue will be whether he can help get the ball to the forwards from midfield. The issue with Frank is that he didn't help move the ball. He sat in the box and waited for others to do the work. We didn't need another scorer we needed a midfielder.

Not saying he's not that, we don't know. But I was more excited to have ring in that spot as a true CM. I hope they play this guy on the wing

That's a really good post regarding Lampard. There was no link up play through him.

The downside is the 12 goals. Need to recoup those between defense and our offense. Puts a lot of pressure on guys like Harrison

So that's everyone, right? We're not waiting on anyone else to get here?

We'll if dreams come true we are waiting on Maxi to be bought down below DP level with TAM followed by an international level superstar joining during the summer transfer window but if we are only talking about preseason I'd say, yes it sounds like everyone has arrived.

I'd like to see this lineup, call it a 3-4-3...

-----Lewis/McNamara------Vila------Harrison------
------------Matarrita---------Pirlo------Moralez------
----------------------------Ring/Sands------------------
-------------Brillant--------Callens-----Chanot-------
-----------------------------Johnson--------------------

Reactions: Gavin23
I'd like to see this lineup, call it a 3-4-3...

-----Lewis/McNamara------Vila------Harrison------
------------Matarrita---------Pirlo------Moralez------
----------------------------Ring/Sands------------------
-------------Brillant--------Callens-----Chanot-------
-----------------------------Johnson--------------------
I can't stomach Tommy as a regular starter for us, and I'm not sure Lewis can make the leap.

We have Wallace and Camargo, at least one of whom I'd expect to claim a spot in our "best 11".

As for shape, that would certainly be entertaining for some fans. Not sure it would be NYC fans, though.

I can't stomach Tommy as a regular starter for us, and I'm not sure Lewis can make the leap.

We have Wallace and Camargo, at least one of whom I'd expect to claim a spot in our "best 11".

As for shape, that would certainly be entertaining for some fans. Not sure it would be NYC fans, though.
Agreed Tommy can't play. I know the third rail will cry but he's not a starter or even a first option off the bench type of player. He's certainly a roster player and someone you keep around but not a regular minutes option.