2017 Roster Discussion

A sustained difference over what we've seen the last two years would be an improvement. That's my concern.

And sharing the pitch with NYCFC reserves should have given him the opportunity to stand out - like Harrison did

I get it if you just don't rate McNamara or RJ. But seems to me like there's a fair few people who are basing their opinions on whatever preseason game they saw last.

I get it, it's winter. We're jonesing for some proper football. But just because last night's game is the first that most of us got to watch in months doesn't mean our preseason hot takes should dictate what we actually make of a player. That goes for Harrison, Allen, Tommy Mac or anyone.

I get it if you just don't rate McNamara or RJ. But seems to me like there's a fair few people who are basing their opinions on whatever preseason game they saw last.

I get it, it's winter. We're jonesing for some proper football. But just because last night's game is the first that most of us got to watch in months doesn't mean our preseason hot takes should dictate what we actually make of a player. That goes for Harrison, Allen, Tommy Mac or anyone.

I've long held Tommy is an extremely limited player.

And I think RJ is pretty terrible, although he's less terrible than he was initially and less terrible than Jason or Norris.

But I made my thoughts on them known, so I don't bang the drum with them constantly because they do occasionally contribute something, and they're likable. Also, they were and hopefully are really cap-friendly. So long as we don't have to start them with anything close to regularity, it's whatever. Local guys and stuff so let them hang around. But to think they are accomplished enough to have latitude to play their way into match fitness isnt something either should ever entertain. They don't have the talent or skill for that.

I've long held Tommy is an extremely limited player.

And I think RJ is pretty terrible, although he's less terrible than he was initially and less terrible than Jason or Norris.

But I made my thoughts on them known, so I don't bang the drum with them constantly because they do occasionally contribute something, and they're likable. Also, they were and hopefully are really cap-friendly. So long as we don't have to start them with anything close to regularity, it's whatever. Local guys and stuff so let them hang around. But to think they are accomplished enough to have latitude to play their way into match fitness isnt something either should ever entertain. They don't have the talent or skill for that.
I rate them a little higher but they have to realize that this isnt the same team from two years ago. I was a little disappointed that gomez was basically the only competition brought in for allen at RB. T-Mac is in a more precarious situation. We just drafted two guys that can play the cut inside left wing plus carmago plus Maxi plus all those guys at CM. It seems alot of people rate him highly throughout the league so if he loses his spot in the rotation it might be good move to trade him while his value his high.

I rate them a little higher but they have to realize that this isnt the same team from two years ago. I was a little disappointed that gomez was basically the only competition brought in for allen at RB. T-Mac is in a more precarious situation. We just drafted two guys that can play the cut inside left wing plus carmago plus Maxi plus all those guys at CM. It seems alot of people rate him highly throughout the league so if he loses his spot in the rotation it might be good move to trade him while his value his high.
That's all fair. If there were a good offer, I'd definitely agree we should snap it up.

It says a lot about the MLS media that there are people who legitimately think he's been a national team snub. If you want proof that they only watch highlights, look no further. He's not really even close to NT caliber.

This is more of it for me.

This season we have brought in some talent. So while TMacs competition for minutes last year included Mendoza, Shelton, and Tony Taylor, this year it is Maxi, Ring, Okoli, Lewis, etc.

TMac and RJ are who they are. And I love having them on our team. But based on our roster right now (and obviously injuries and current form will come into play), they shouldn't be seeing much of the field. RJ maybe because we don't have a ton of options there.

But this board, and fans in general are quite reactionary and hyperbolic. Remember that there were times last year where people were calling for TMac and RJ for the USMNT.

Don't look at James' Instagram bio, look at the official NYCFC account. Specifically the latest person they followed, that's a bigger clue imo

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
TFC literally just signed a guy who is better than moralez as a tam player o_O
I'm not going to bother comparing the on-field ability of Maxi and Vazquez, but your stance that Toronto's use of the TAM label is fundamentally more appropriate than our use of a DP is wrong. Without knowing what each player makes until salaries are released, it is safe to say Vazquez is between $465k-1M and Maxi is probably in that realm too, although he may be north of $1M (doubtful though). That said, Tor had to use TAM to fit their player in because they already have 3 DP players, thus they are using more resources to keep him on the roster. Maxi may eventually become a TAM player, but for now his salary is effectively only $465k for cap purposes and we haven't needed to use any Garber money to get him Cap friendly. Come summer, when there are many more players out of contract, NYCFC may look to pick one up as a DP and work Maxi's salary as a TAM, but when that happens he will be monopolizing more resources, albeit only half of what he'd take up now.

In fairness, the guy they signed was footballer of the year in Belgium two seasons ago and was playing in the same league as Maxi Moralez.

That being said, we don't know the salaries being commanded, but Maxi has to perform at a level much higher than Victor Vazquez in order for the Moralez signing not to look like a major dissapointment.

Reactions: Tyler Connley
Not sure where this would fit best, so I'll link it to the roster discussion by noting that this is how (I'm assuming) PV wants our roster to play ;). Couldn't get the video to link for some reason, but if you click the link in the tweet, it will pull up the vid.

(Edit: nvm, it works on my phone, just not on my work laptop for some reason)

Obviously they are playing Miami, but holy hell it would be nice to see us play like that... confidence, triangles, short pinpoint passing... from goalkeeper to back of net. And Chicago isn't the one team in the league who has made it very publicly clear that they intend to always play out of the back no matter what. That would be us.

Last edited:
Not sure where this would fit best, so I'll link it to the roster discussion by noting that this is how (I'm assuming) PV wants our roster to play ;). Couldn't get the video to link for some reason, but if you click the link in the tweet, it will pull up the vid.

(Edit: nvm, it works on my phone, just not on my work laptop for some reason)

Obviously they are playing Miami, but holy hell it would be nice to see us play like that... confidence, triangles, short, pinpoint passing... from goalkeeper to back of net. And Chicago isn't the one team in the league who has made it very publicly clear that they intend to always play out of the back no matter what. That would be us.
That's fantastic movement and passing! It worked because the right back moved forward with every pass creating an extra outlet for the (moving) triangles - the forward never tracked him leaving him open for every pass. Mata is capable of that, but he does like to dribble/attack more than the 1-touch pass. The right side of our defense has never shown movement like that before, typically wanting to hug the endline (predictable) or dribble into the center (holding too long). It will help that Lampard is gone and whomever replaces him will be more mobile.

Last edited: