2017 Roster Discussion

Physicality is difference in MLS. It's not like great defense or holding opponents off the ball with strength. It's more like amateurs compensating for lack of skill. A lot of knocks and hacks. He's gonna need to be able to push through people physically and I don't think he has the motor to do that. He doesn't have the frame Acosta or Gio has. Maxi's damage will mainly be off the ball and on the wings, look for a 1v1...cut or cross. Everyone will be disappointed if they think we have Gio 2.0. Maxi is a much better version of Mendoza. That's his role now, or should be.
While I am inclined to agree with you. One could have said the same, almost , if we got Messi playing here

Probably last game for anyone to impress before cuts are made. Sands, Sweat, Wingate, Brown are all the options left right?

I doubt any are signed. Sands is behind Ring and Hererra for CDM, and Awuah could play there in a pinch. Wingate is even farther back.

Reactions: Kjbert
Probably last game for anyone to impress before cuts are made. Sands, Sweat, Wingate, Brown are all the options left right?

I doubt any are signed. Sands is behind Ring and Hererra for CDM, and Awuah could play there in a pinch. Wingate is even farther back.
Sands has essentially been offered per CR saying they need to speak with his parents. If he wants on, he's part of the team.

Sands is the #4 CM. We need to be at least four deep there, and I'll say again that anyone expecting him to make more than ~12 appearances this year anyway is just hype-bitten.

He's here to train, serve as an emergency/Open Cup starter, and get some minutes as a sub.

Sands is the #4 CM. We need to be at least four deep there, and I'll say again that anyone expecting him to make more than ~12 appearances this year anyway is just hype-bitten.

He's here to train, serve as an emergency/Open Cup starter, and get some minutes as a sub.
Pirlo, Ring, Herrera 1,2 and 3. I'd say Stertzer would play over sands, and possibly Lopez gak. I just dont see a spot for him on the team this year.

Reactions: Kjbert

I think you're going to be surprised. Between MLS/cups/starts/subs he will get more than 12 appearances.

Pirlo, Ring, Herrera 1,2 and 3. I'd say Stertzer would play over sands, and possibly Lopez gak. I just dont see a spot for him on the team this year.

Stertzer is more of an attacking midfielder. I don't think he directly competes for time with Sands. I also don't think he's anything more than deep depth a la Ballouchi.

Lopez maybe, but only if Sands really struggles.

Regardless, last year we played *9* different midfielders. It's very easy to underestimate depth needs during preseason when everyone is healthy and nobody has played four games in the last three weeks.

Moralez, Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, Sands, Sterzer, Lopez (injured) and then add McNamara and Camargo if you think they are likely to play in the center.

That's 7-9 players. Appropriate.

U17 WC is this year. We'll sign him, so long as someone hasn't already gotten in his agent/parent's ear about a move post-WC.

I think he'll get a few minutes, too.

And so what if he doesn't? He's still got YNT games. The big thing, though, is if you're 16, I don't think playing some shitty academy games better than training with professionals such as Pirlo and being coached by Vieira. I mean, what do you think folks would pay to have those two guys coaching a holding midfielder? It's a no-brainer.

They're probably just negotiating the terms at this point and ensuring he's hg eligible. I'm sure he wants 2 years and the club wants at least one more year optioned to them, if not three and an option. He'll be on $70k if it's 2. If it's anything more, he'll get $100+.

U17 WC is this year. We'll sign him, so long as someone hasn't already gotten in his agent/parent's ear about a move post-WC.

I think he'll get a few minutes, too.

And so what if he doesn't? He's still got YNT games. The big thing, though, is if you're 16, I don't think playing some shitty academy games better than training with professionals such as Pirlo and being coached by Vieira. I mean, what do you think folks would pay to have those two guys coaching a holding midfielder? It's a no-brainer.

They're probably just negotiating the terms at this point and ensuring he's hg eligible. I'm sure he wants 2 years and the club wants at least one more year optioned to them, if not three and an option. He'll be on $70k if it's 2. If it's anything more, he'll get $100+.
If your numbers are right, it would be damn near impossible for a 16yo kid to turn down $100k/year for 3 years. $300k before taxes and living at home is a great nest egg to start life with. At 19 jump to either Europe or a massive domestic contract and bank $$.

Did I miss the part where Sands was offered a contract, or are we just running wild on the quote from a couple weeks?

The quote from a couple weeks ago was this one.

"He's proven he can play with the first team," said director of football operations Claudio Reyna before Wednesday's match. "But we haven't yet discussed that with him or his parents. It's one of the first discussions we'll have when we get back from Tucson."

To me that sounds like Sands has a contract if he wants it, barring discussion with his parents.

The quote from a couple weeks ago was this one.

"He's proven he can play with the first team," said director of football operations Claudio Reyna before Wednesday's match. "But we haven't yet discussed that with him or his parents. It's one of the first discussions we'll have when we get back from Tucson."

To me that sounds like Sands has a contract if he wants it, barring discussion with his parents.
This is the whole quote:

"“He’s proven he can play with the first team,” said Reyna, whose son Gio plays with Sands on the NYCFC U-16s. “But we haven’t yet discussed that with him or his parents. It’s one of the first discussions we’ll have when we get back from Tucson. We have to speak to his parents about the possibility of signing but we are not even there yet. We’ll take it slow with him and see how he does the rest of pre-season.”

This is the whole quote:

"“He’s proven he can play with the first team,” said Reyna, whose son Gio plays with Sands on the NYCFC U-16s. “But we haven’t yet discussed that with him or his parents. It’s one of the first discussions we’ll have when we get back from Tucson. We have to speak to his parents about the possibility of signing but we are not even there yet. We’ll take it slow with him and see how he does the rest of pre-season.”
There's no point discussing with his parents if a contract isn't already roughed-out. The conversation will go something like this:

CR: Your son is good enough to play with our starting 18. We think he'll develop faster/better with PV, Pirlo, and Villa. Are you comfortable with him turning pro?

Parents: we'll need to talk to our son.

Sands: I want to be on the team.

[all parties discuss school/GED, development program/trajectory, long term goals, etc]

Parents: we're comfortable with this. What sort of terms are we talking about?

CR: I just so happen to have a rough contract in my back pocket. We think this is very beneficial for all parties.

As it is, Sands has already missed a lot of school this semester. I'd be surprised if a lot of conversations haven't already taken place to make arrangements for the preseason and beyond (i.e. Tutor, GED, broaching subject to parents).

You are still reading too much into Reyna's quote. He performed poorly against the Dynamo. If he delivers a similar performance the next two games, that probably changes things.

He already goes to "high school" at IMG Academy.

You are still reading too much into Reyna's quote. He performed poorly against the Dynamo. If he delivers a similar performance the next two games, that probably changes things.

He already goes to "high school" at IMG Academy.
Did he perform poorly? On the shoutbox, a lot of people were complimenting his passing and positioning against Houston; he tired the second half and began to falter, but that's different than playing poorly. He also looked fine before Villa was carded and obviously was double teamed once they had a man advantage. I would doubt the coaches hold his 11v10 performance against him.

Going to school at IMG is a regular school/curriculum and it's very different than going for a GED which is what he'd need as a pro. So I'm not sure what your point is with quotation marks?

Whether he signs or not is now up to him. There are plans in place for him to still go to school and become a professional. Not the first time at the rodeo, even if it is for us fans.

I'm very excited by all of this.