2017 Roster Discussion

Right. That was my point. Could we get him for under $100,000? I'm talking about signing him for depth purposes because, let's face it, our center back options are not very good. We've done great work with the midfielders and forwards, but the defense is still kind of a nightmare.
I could see the logic in this.

My only real problem with it is that it would deprive us that initial period when we get a new player where we get to think, for a while, that he may actually be really good. That's one of my favorite things about MLS (and soccer generally) as compared to other major sports where you pretty much know the player pool. With JH, we'd know we were getting mediocrity from the outset!

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind if it wasn't chewing up cap space and he was content with a limited role.

Crazy, farcical, not-going-to-happen idea.

We are dangerously-thin at center back right now. We have Chanot, Callens, Brillant, Sweat, White, and perhaps Sands. That's not a lot of depth at all.

Jason Hernandez is still a free agent. If he'll agree to sign for cheap, does it make sense to bring him back into the team just in case we need some more depth? Obviously his salary last year was way too high, but would he take a bargain-basement contract just to get back into a squad? Would it be worth it to add a little depth to the back line? Obviously I hope he'd never be needed, but if we have two injuries among our main center back options (or if Callens isn't any good), we're kind of screwed back there.

giphy.gif

I really don't like Ugo's skillset for this team. I hate to say it, but I also don't think his work rate is all that good, either.
He seems to have a split skill set. Around the 18 he shows some skill and promise when he is being fed. At the midfield line, holding up play, dribbling and interchanging with teammates he seemed really poor yesterday. Does that get masked when he plays with better support? Does he get more service allowing his skills in the 18 to shine?

He seems to have a split skill set. Around the 18 he shows some skill and promise when he is being fed. At the midfield line, holding up play, dribbling and interchanging with teammates he seemed really poor yesterday. Does that get masked when he plays with better support? Does he get more service allowing his skills in the 18 to shine?

Here's one: all things considered (salary/sale-profit/age/post-trade performance/etc.) which would you rather have: Okoli or Mullins?

Edit: Also, what do you figure Colorado is paying Alan Gordon? His 2016 salary for LA was listed at $170k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Here's one: all things considered (salary/sale-profit/age/post-trade performance/etc.) which would you rather have: Okoli or Mullins?

It's a little early to judge, but right now Mullins. However, Mullins didn't seem happy with his role and PV wasn't moving to a 2 striker system. So, if you factor in attitude and a player becoming a malcontent, I'd have to then lean towards Uggo.

It's a little early to judge, but right now Mullins. However, Mullins didn't seem happy with his role and PV wasn't moving to a 2 striker system. So, if you factor in attitude and a player becoming a malcontent, I'd have to then lean towards Uggo.

Unfortunately for Patty, Villa didn't start slapping people until after his 35th birthday.

I think this is well said. Mullins is likely the better player, but it may well be a false choice because keeping him if Villa starts 32 matches again and goes 90 in most of them wasn't really tenable.

Reactions: adam
Agreed, this is a good point.

And I know this really wasn't part of the question, but I think I would rather have Okoli + the GAM/TAM we got for Mullins versus Mullins.

ETA: K Kjbert just beat me to it

There was a phone conference today with Vieira, I tried asking about Diskerud but unfortunately they ran out of time before they got to everyone's questions. No one else brought it up.

Anyways, if you're interested in what Vieira had to say I wrote about it here:

http://thenycfcnation.com/2017/02/vieira-on-preseason-progress/
How many media members were on the call? Are questions pre-screened? How the hell were you the only one who asked about this? Any place in the world, I would expect that to be question 1. He's the single biggest salary budget impact on the whole team, based on the rules as we understand them. To think anyone would ask about anything else before that boggles my mind.

So...James Sands summer signing? With the U17 World Cup next summer, you have to think he's going to be a main player for the US and will get a lot of looks from top European clubs. We have to sign him this year to 1) Have the possibility of him playing here 2) Get anything out of a transfer if it comes to it

“Maybe in the summer he will need to have a break because from Monday he’ll go to the National Team – it will be a lot of football for him and he will get to a time when we need to look after the boy as well. We’re going to have a good plan for him.”

Last edited:
How many media members were on the call? Are questions pre-screened? How the hell were you the only one who asked about this? Any place in the world, I would expect that to be question 1. He's the single biggest salary budget impact on the whole team, based on the rules as we understand them. To think anyone would ask about anything else before that boggles my mind.
I have no idea how many people were on the call total.

Questions are not pre-screened at all. To clarify, you just press a number that notes you as wanting to ask an question, then you ask your question directly. No foul play there.

I'm with you, but either we'll get an answer by March 2nd or we won't get (a real) one until the summer.

I have no idea how many people were on the call total.

Questions are not pre-screened at all. To clarify, you just press a number that notes you as wanting to ask an question, then you ask your question directly. No foul play there.

I'm with you, but either we'll get an answer by March 2nd or we won't get (a real) one until the summer.
I'd almost feel better if they were pre-screened, then.

I just can't imagine claiming to cover this team, to the extent I'm dialing into a call and not freaking asking. It's inconceivable to me.