2017 Roster Discussion

I recommend everyone at least skim through the entire article. Some great information. I think Sands is a lock for a contract, "we talk about it everyday."
Very worrying comment - “It may take a few more games before I know my starting XI.”
That's bullshit. YOU guys made late signings. Take responsibility. Not wanting to over react here but we were talking about this all off season. Lack of moves, late moves, etc. Here we are now a week and a half out from season start and he's saying he needs a few more games to make a decision. WE DONT HAVE THAT.
So our first couple regular season games we're going to be experiementing and working on cohesion. Get the fuck out of here. Sorry but this is inexcusable. If we have a slow start to the season it's entirely on PV/FO

Last edited:
I recommend every at least skim through the entire article. Some great information. I think Sands is a lock for a contract, "we talk about it everyday."
Very worrying comment - “It may take a few more games before I know my starting XI.”
That's bullshit. YOU guys made late signings. Take responsibility. Not wanting to over react here but we were talking about this all off season. Lack of moves, late moves, etc. Here we are now a week and a half out from season start and he's saying he needs a few more games to make a decision. WE DONT HAVE THAT.
So our first couple regular season games we're going to be experiementing and working on cohesion. Get the fuck out of here. Sorry but this is inexcusable. If we have a slow start to the season it's entirely on PV/FO
I for one am super-excited about another month of preseason.
- FootyLovin (and no one else)

I'd almost feel better if they were pre-screened, then.

I just can't imagine claiming to cover this team, to the extent I'm dialing into a call and not freaking asking. It's inconceivable to me.

To be fair, you only get one question on a conference call, and there are other topics that are also of interest, like the newcomers, new DP, Sands, whether defense has improved, etc. It's bad that no one asked that question, but when you're getting to talk to the coach for one of the first times all season, there are too many topics to talk about.

Also, the heavy odds are that Vieira is going to stonewall on any Mix question. So if you only get one question, are you sure you want to use it on something that gets a non-answer, or do you want to use it on a topic that will give you something usable? If I were there, I'd choose something usable.

I agree that it should have been asked by someone, but I also understand how it can get overlooked. It's also a situation where the team needs to budget enough time for a season-opening conference call like that. I'd guess next week there will be a media day with Vieira and Reyna to officially kick off the season, so hopefully the question gets asked then.

Last edited:
To be fair, you only get one question on a conference call, and there are other topics that are also of interest, like the newcomers, new DP, Sands, whether defense has improved, etc. It's bad that no one asked that question, but when you're getting to talk to the new coach for one of the first times all season, there are too many topics to talk about.

Also, the heavy odds are that Vieira is going to stonewall on any Mix question. So if you only get one question, are you sure you want to use it on something that gets a non-answer, or do you want to use it on a topic that will give you something usable? If I were there, I'd choose something usable.

I agree that it should have been asked by someone, but I also understand how it can get overlooked. It's also a situation where the team needs to budget enough time for a season-opening conference call like that. I'd guess next week there will be a media day with Vieira and Reyna to officially kick off the season, so hopefully the question gets asked then.

I guess those are acceptable excuses if you're straining to defend it. NYCFCfan NYCFCfan says they don't screen the questions. But he didn't get to ask one. Maybe they do screen the ones that are asked. Or maybe people are that incompetent.

Given past behavior, I'd have assumed everyone was going to lob softballs, not vice versa. He's obviously going to talk about the new players. Would be stonewall if? Probably. Even likely. But someone bring some heat. Geez.

We should start a twitter campaign to tag the club everyday with a #mixcountdown to March 2nd.

I have no idea how many people were on the call total.

Questions are not pre-screened at all. To clarify, you just press a number that notes you as wanting to ask an question, then you ask your question directly. No foul play there.

When they asked their questions, did they introduce themselves at all? Like "this is Christian Araos from fuckoffland.com, I'm not a legitimate reporter but can you tell us about..." ?

When they asked their questions, did they introduce themselves at all? Like "this is Christian Araos from fuckoffland.com, I'm not a legitimate reporter but can you tell us about..." ?

Hi, I'm Christian. My question is can someone give me the URL for nycfcforums.com? I'm not paying attention and I'll need info for a story tomorrow. I'll mute and not listen. Thanks.

Wait, no one let Dan on the call, did they? Great. Just making sure.

NYCFC is one of the worst organizations in all of sports when it comes to media relations. They don't allow nearly enough access that other clubs and teams across the major sports allow. They barely make guys available to the media. This is coming from the lips of someone that has covered multiple pro soccer teams, hockey teams, baseball, etc and works for a legitimate news source too.

I went to a practice one day with the media and was amazed at the amount of kinda fanboy-ish types that were there. Never asking tough questions. The guy I'm referencing above and NYCFCfan NYCFCfan are legitimately the only ones I trust with anything. Seriously.

NYCFC is one of the worst organizations in all of sports when it comes to media relations. They don't allow nearly enough access that other clubs and teams across the major sports allow. They barely make guys available to the media. This is coming from the lips of someone that has covered multiple pro soccer teams, hockey teams, baseball, etc and works for a legitimate news source too.

I went to a practice one day with the media and was amazed at the amount of kinda fanboy-ish types that were there. Never asking tough questions. The guy I'm referencing above and NYCFCfan NYCFCfan are legitimately the only ones I trust with anything. Seriously.
I agree, the team could do A LOT better with transparency and I was one of the people loudly calling them out on it in the first year and half.

But I also want to give credit where it's due, the team realized the fans wanted more direct answers and brought in Mark Booth who's done an amazing job at doing just that. Clear, concise statements directly from the club are what we all wanted.

Personally, I didn't like the way the team was being covered so I started doing it myself. I fully encourage anyone to tell writers or outlets what it is you want to hear. I'm on here most of the time because I'm a fan with a relatively easygoing job so I have a good pulse on what's happening but every single person that covers NYCFC (including me) has a "real job" meaning they have other stuff to worry about besides constantly being on twitter or the forums.

I can't tell you why they're doing it, but I don't believe the people covering the team don't want to ask the questions, they just don't think anyone cares about them or their editors have other things they want them to cover. I have the luxury of not caring about clicks or ads so I can write the 50th article about Diskerud this year, but other have editors they report to.

TL;DR - the guys that cover the team have to work within the constraints placed upon them so I'm not going to fault them for not thinking like us. I don't have any constraints so I can ask whatever I want to ask and not worry about page views or retweets.

How much if that is a "European" thing? I ask that because the NBA mandates that coaches talk to reporters in the middle of games. That has to sound preposterous to Europeans

NYCFCfan NYCFCfan is basically my only news source.

How much if that is a "European" thing? I ask that because the NBA mandates that coaches talk to reporters in the middle of games. That has to sound preposterous to Europeans

It sounds preposterous to me, and I'm from northern Wisconsin.

But to be fair, nobody here is asking that. I would love a hard hitting press conference the day before each game, and one immediately after each game. And accurate twitter updates throughout the week.

But to be fair, nobody here is asking that. I would love a hard hitting press conference the day before each game, and one immediately after each game. And accurate twitter updates throughout the week.

You mean things that CFG/Yankees live in perpetual fear of.

Reactions: Kjbert and NYCFCfan

The beautiful land of Spotted Cow and cheese curds, I miss Wisconsin (I went to school in Milwaukee).

Reactions: sbrylski

I also think the biggest issue surrounding media coverage is that we're one of the few teams that does not have an independent media beat writer covering us.

For a team that draws 25,000 fans a game, the newspapers in town should have a dedicated beat writer like what they have in DC, Seattle, Portland, and almost every other city in MLS. Mark Booth does a great job, but he's not independent, he can't write whatever he wants. The Post writes the occasional story, but there's no beat writer. And that substantially impacts the kind of coverage the paper can do.

Thoughts on Carvers????

The Armchair Analyst weighs in...

FEBRUARY 24 UPDATE: Well, I was stupid to be dubious about the prospects of their signing Morales, wasn't I? He'll come in and be this team's No. 10, tasked with creating chances and (more importantly IMO) scoring goals with the type of late runs into the box that Lampard excelled at.

Herrera, meanwhile, is probably more likely to start at d-mid than Ring.

They also added MLS veteran winger Rodney Wallace, and journeymen John Stertzer and Ben Sweat. The team is now younger than last year's group, and deeper and more flexible – I don't see any glaring weaknesses. I'm not convinced, however, that they'll be better.

So he's saying we have all the pieces but doesn't know if we can complete the puzzle...

The Armchair Analyst weighs in...

FEBRUARY 24 UPDATE: Well, I was stupid to be dubious about the prospects of their signing Morales, wasn't I? He'll come in and be this team's No. 10, tasked with creating chances and (more importantly IMO) scoring goals with the type of late runs into the box that Lampard excelled at.

Herrera, meanwhile, is probably more likely to start at d-mid than Ring.

They also added MLS veteran winger Rodney Wallace, and journeymen John Stertzer and Ben Sweat. The team is now younger than last year's group, and deeper and more flexible – I don't see any glaring weaknesses. I'm not convinced, however, that they'll be better.

So he's saying we have all the pieces but doesn't know if we can complete the puzzle...

I like that he mentioned flexible. I think that's being overlooked. And PV mentioned it too in his conference call the other day. In a capped league, having players that can play multiple positions can save a ton of money under the cap and allow the most talent on the field as we can get.

As for this season, I think he's also not accounting for what depth, youth and speed will do over a 34 match season and playoffs. We were run off the field by Toronto in the playoffs and a couple times vs NJ. I don't think that can happen to the same extent this season with the players we have in place.