2017 Roster Discussion

This always seems like the assumption by MLS and it's fans but I'm not sure it's proven true, can't find the article I read with the stats supporting this but I'll keep searching. Many of the Mexican fans people assume would be drawn by a player like Herenadez already have life long connections to Liga MX teams, same goes for Hispanic fans from other countries. You will likely get a ticket sales boost from people coming to single games to see him but I'm skeptical how many fans he will add to the core fan base.

I can't remember where I heard it, but I remember reading that the real league in Mexico is la liga. Which is probably why we've done so well with David Villa wrt hispanic marketing.

I really think MLS needs to stop trying to go after Mexicans living in the US and Mexican-Americans as a marketing priority. The connections to Liga MX teams is too close and too strong. I suspect we won't see a change in consumer preferences in those two demographics until MLS is significantly better than liga MX; when MLS is actually a top 5 league, not just in Garber's fever dreams.

I believe the primary minority marketing focus should be to non Mexican heritage south and central Americans. The physical distance and difficulty in watching home leagues makes those demographics more susceptible to supporting a MLS team. Whereas basically every liga MX game is broadcast on Univision, it's virtually impossible to watch any other south/Central American League.

Honestly I'd focus my efforts on people who have played fifa. Get the purchase list from EA sports and go after it with a vengeance. That and people, like me, that are utterly fed up with the 8.9 million commercials per NFL game.

Edit: For example if a person has ever typed the words, the NFL has too many commercials, they need to be receiving targeted MLS ads.

Last edited:
This always seems like the assumption by MLS and it's fans but I'm not sure it's proven true, can't find the article I read with the stats supporting this but I'll keep searching. Many of the Mexican fans people assume would be drawn by a player like Herenadez already have life long connections to Liga MX teams, same goes for Hispanic fans from other countries. You will likely get a ticket sales boost from people coming to single games to see him but I'm skeptical how many fans he will add to the core fan base.
There was an article we discussed on here a while ago regarding US supporters, various incidents, puto, etc which I recall having some stats regarding this, although I recall the article being sensational and otherwise silly (not sure if this is what you were remembering).

Reactions: gbservis
Moving this discussion over from the post game thread. Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is super high on Herrera. I have to rewatch the game.

Personally, I liked what Ring brought. Great link up play. Physical in the midfield. Surprising athlete. I'm an EPL guy. He reminds me of guys like James McCarthy and Matic. Can physically control the midfield.

RJ Allen is a weak link. Squad player. But a weak link offensively.

Now, you have 4 midfielders (Pirlo, Maxi, Herrera and Ring) who are much better players than Allen. You have 4 good defenders in Callens, Brillant, Chanot and Matarrita.

So the question becomes, does the 4-3-3 work? Can Ring play the right side of the midfield in a 3-5-2? Do they go 4-3-1-2?

Playing RJ Allen keeps someone off the field. Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, Maxi or maybe one of Jack or Wallace

Moving this discussion over from the post game thread. Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan is super high on Herrera. I have to rewatch the game.

Personally, I liked what Ring brought. Great link up play. Physical in the midfield. Surprising athlete. I'm an EPL guy. He reminds me of guys like James McCarthy and Matic. Can physically control the midfield.

Now, you have 4 midfielders (Pirlo, Maxi, Herrera and Ring) who are much better players than Allen. You have 4 good defenders in Callens, Brillant, Chanot and Matarrita.

So the question becomes, does the 4-3-3 work? Can Ring play the right side of the midfield in a 3-5-2? Do they go 4-3-1-2?

Playing RJ Allen keeps someone off the field. Pirlo, Ring, Herrera, Maxi or maybe one of Jack or Wallace

Y'all keep laughing. My 3-3-3-1 with Matarrita as LCB keeps looking more and more better.

-----Wallace/Lewis------Villa------Harrison-------
---------------------Maxi-----Pirlo--------------------
--------------------------Ring--------------------------
--Mataritta------Callens---Chanot-----Herrera----
-----------------------Johnson-------------------------

- I think that Transfermarket listed that Herrera could play RB
- Camargo first off the bench for Pirlo

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert
Finally I got unbanned and can say what I need to say.
1. That was dumb as hell I got banned for critiquing moves and sharing a different point of view
2. The fact that the reason I got banned for being label as a "troll" is ridiculous. Whoever banned me needs to look up the definition of troll
3. I love nycfc and it is no doubt my favorite club in an league and that shouldn't be questioned
4. After learning that there is an abundance of sensitive members on here I don't think this is cut out for me. So I will be leaving. Hope our teams can win it all this year

Sincerely nycfcs biggest fan from tennesseee!

1. That was dumb as hell I got banned for critiquing moves and sharing a different point of view
2. The fact that the reason I got banned for being label as a "troll" is ridiculous. Whoever banned me needs to look up the definition of troll
3. I love nycfc and it is no doubt my favorite club in an league and that shouldn't be questioned
4. After learning that there is an abundance of sensitive members on here I don't think this is cut out for me. So I will be leaving. Hope our teams can win it all this year

Rule #1 of internet foruming: Don't complain about being banned in public, take it to PM and try to figure out why you were banned.

The whole being edgy for edginess sake is a tired trope. If you want to stay, just end the immature bs.

Eh. I think he's a shitty defender. Tracks back better than be drfends. Wouldn't put it past PV though.
Damn. That's some harsh criticism because I seem to hardly ever catch him just tearing ass back.

The idea would be that you have him go forward when a good opportunity presents itself and Herrera/Ring drop in. Always 3 back, but always a man wide on either side with has a partner to provide an over/under lap threat.

It's probably too fanciful for us, but it's really not far from what some big teams in the world are trying to do regularly.

I feel as though, at Yankee Stadium at least, PV moves one of the 3 CBs to RB like he did with Hernandez last season. Matarrita pushes up the left side to create more of a 3-4-3 at home.

Since people feel right back is the weak link. I wonder if Tijuana would bite for a mix and orozco swap.
As much as I hate orozco he'd be an improvement and I just get angry looking at this stupid face bomb up the right side doing nothing

giphy.gif

Damn. That's some harsh criticism because I seem to hardly ever catch him just tearing ass back.

The idea would be that you have him go forward when a good opportunity presents itself and Herrera/Ring drop in. Always 3 back, but always a man wide on either side with has a partner to provide an over/under lap threat.

It's probably too fanciful for us, but it's really not far from what some big teams in the world are trying to do regularly.

The problem is his defensive IQ doesn't seem that high. You need to know when to go forward and when to stay at home. We saw last year how smart defenders like Chanot or Van damme know when to pick spots