2017 Roster Discussion

Can we try to dissect this a bit?

Someone told me I'm not part of the plan
And if he was I - he'd run like the others ran
CR told him they had other plans and he should find somewhere else to play. Furthermore, he's not the 1st player CR forced out.

'
Cause the budget is tight
And binding contracts might
Be broken, to improve 5-6 positions - in exchange for only one man.
Sounds like CR laid it on him straight. It's exactly what we all said for the last 2 seasons. That $750k could be spread across the board to bring in 5-6 quality players when also factoring in the salary spent on the mediocre players.

He went on to say; "the message is clear -
Unless you're clueless - because you've lived it all year
Since the budget is tight
Need to be broken... if you crack, kneel, or leave the hemisphere"
As we've all suspected, Mix was sat all year in an attempt to make him "crack" by walking away from his contract and heading back to Europe.

Who can tell so straight and clearly
Tales of destiny I fight sincerely
When mental games
Are attempting aims
To make me rage severely?
The club continued to sit him and leave him off the 18 in hopes he would crack and do something stupid so they could void his contract. Or he's just give up and leave on his own.

On and on the conversation went
About money spent
And special rules
And mgt's tools
And something about allocation being different cent
Mix was eating up all the teams TAM and severely hindering their ability to build the roster. I'm sure the line "it's nothing personal" was used many times over.

I wish I had
Right there - my pad
'Cause then my favorite line
Fused by Robin Williams spine
Would play dead poets - real bad
He's so frustrated he wants to just let out a mighty Yawp, as mentioned in his previous tweets. Or maybe he's about to be freed and will scream his yawp as a sound of freedom...
Great work. Now expand your thoughts in a 10 page essay due Wednesday at 10 AM.

"We wish Mix the best of luck in his next professional opportunity." Can't wait to read that statement from the FO and we don't have to talk about his awful contract anymore.

The fact is Mix was signed to a contract for him to be one of the 2-3 focal players of the team (for being THE most expensive player cap-wise) and it didn't work out - it's the fault of both parties. Nothing more to see here and move on.

On the positive side, we're probably never going to sign a contract without an out on our side again, or not for a very very long time. This is one of those painful formative lessons that sticks around in a corporate culture way longer than it has any right to.

Like when a new person reads the short 5 minute intro to the firm, that some firms have, there's going to be an asterisk saying "the Mix Diskerud contract taught us to never sign a contract we can't get out of, this is sports sometimes a player doesn't work out and you don't want to be stuck with him in a salary capped league. The difference between a player you can get without that clause and with that clause is much less important than the pain a bad player with that clause causes to the team.

No your not smarter than everyone else, yes you. Don't think about it, seriously. This problem is as old as a salary capped sports league and your not good enough of a scout to justify it."

I think that poem confirms they bought out his contract

"And binding contracts might
Be broken, to improve 5-6 positions - in exchange for only one man."

This line concerns me. If I'm interpreting it correctly it means we've already used the money his contract frees up on the players we brought in the current window and that buying him out simply makes us salary cap compliant.

Which makes sense, frankly. All of these acquisitions cost money. Ring cost a lot of money, Callens and Wallace cost some money -- those guys aren't cheap. If they knew all offseason Mix would somehow not be there on March 5, it would have been a dereliction of duty to not use that money elsewhere during the winter window.

I kind of had a feeling that was how they were signing all these players -- the guys they released this winter were mostly not terribly high-priced players (aside from Iraola, Hernandez, and Lampard), so it made sense they would use thier TAM this way.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
Can we try to dissect this a bit?

Someone told me I'm not part of the plan
And if he was I - he'd run like the others ran
CR told him they had other plans and he should find somewhere else to play. Furthermore, he's not the 1st player CR forced out.

'
Cause the budget is tight
Be broken, to improve 5-6 positions - in exchange for only one man.
Sounds like CR laid it on him straight. It's exactly what we all said for the last 2 seasons. That $750k could be spread across the board to bring in 5-6 quality players when also factoring in the salary spent on the mediocre players.

He went on to say; "the message is clear -
Unless you're clueless - because you've lived it all year
Since the budget is tight
Need to be broken... if you crack, kneel, or leave the hemisphere"
As we've all suspected, Mix was sat all year in an attempt to make him "crack" by walking away from his contract and heading back to Europe.

Who can tell so straight and clearly
Tales of destiny I fight sincerely
When mental games
Are attempting aims
To make me rage severely?
The club continued to sit him and leave him off the 18 in hopes he would crack and do something stupid so they could void his contract. Or he's just give up and leave on his own.

On and on the conversation went
About money spent
And special rules
And mgt's tools
And something about allocation being different cent
Mix was eating up all the teams TAM and severely hindering their ability to build the roster. I'm sure the line "it's nothing personal" was used many times over.

I wish I had
Right there - my pad
'Cause then my favorite line
Fused by Robin Williams spine
Would play dead poets - real bad
He's so frustrated he wants to just let out a mighty Yawp, as mentioned in his previous tweets. Or maybe he's about to be freed and will scream his yawp as a sound of freedom...

giphy.gif

Reactions: adam
I think that poem confirms they bought out his contract

"And binding contracts might
Be broken, to improve 5-6 positions - in exchange for only one man."

This line concerns me. If I'm interpreting it correctly it means we've already used the money his contract frees up on the players we brought in the current window and that buying him out simply makes us salary cap compliant.
yeah only way we will know is when the players union releases salary numbers. very interested to see the numbers on some of these news guys especially maxi.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I didn't have your email.

And you understood it the same we did, ftr.

Oh, and I didn't actually get insider info. Just screwing with everyone. I just happened to catch something during a very brief window and deemed it prudent to keep it quiet until it was obviously intended for public consumption.

How the hell does a poem like that leak? Was he looking for peer revision before publication?

As for the poem, I first have to give props. It's not winning awards anytime soon, but it's not bad from a technical perspective in my amateur opinion.

Second, it's not really as scandalous as I hoped. Pretty much confirms it's just a standard contract standoff. Unless pieces are missing, like Mix doing something unforgivable behind the scenes, it looks like both parties are just doing what's in their best business interests.

On the positive side, we're probably never going to sign a contract without an out on our side again, or not for a very very long time. This is one of those painful formative lessons that sticks around in a corporate culture way longer than it has any right to.

Like when a new person reads the short 5 minute intro to the firm, that some firms have, there's going to be an asterisk saying "the Mix Diskerud contract taught us to never sign a contract we can't get out of, this is sports sometimes a player doesn't work out and you don't want to be stuck with him in a salary capped league. The difference between a player you can get without that clause and with that clause is much less important than the pain a bad player with that clause causes to the team.

No your not smarter than everyone else, yes you. Don't think about it, seriously. This problem is as old as a salary capped sports league and your not good enough of a scout to justify it."
You may be right that it has that impact. I hope not, though. We'd be at a big disadvantage in competing for top talent.

S sbrylski i could explain, but then I'd have to kill you. (Btw, before anyone freaks out, this was a common line in movies that is now often used humorously and sarcastically to convey the relative unimportance of something. So no one worry that their safe space is violated)

Last edited:
Post liked by EJ, for whatever that's worth

GAM's reaction must have been "damn, they forced him out because he cost them too much GAM"

(For those who don't know: Eddie Johnson was asked about playing video games and said nah, because he's a Grown Ass Man. Thus the nickname.)

Last edited: