2017 Roster Discussion

I'm assuming we aren't signing sands. Whether that was his decision or ours is up in the air.

I am deeply saddened by this state of affairs, I will be more deeply saddened when he's inevitably playing against us in the future.

Reactions: Kjbert
The recent quotes made it seem like he'd be busy with the U17 camp until the summer so they would revisit it at that point. I dont think there is a place on the team for him, since Herrera is basically the same player. I think everyone overhyped him since it's the first CDM we've seen in our shirt

I am deeply saddened by this state of affairs, I will be more deeply saddened when he's inevitably playing against us in the future.
How would he play against us? In MLS, we hold his rights, but if he goes to Europe he can pick which ever club he wants/qualifies for. Maybe he's waiting until after the U17 cup to see if there's foreign interest, and if so then that's a big loss for MLS from a transfer standpoint. But it'll be debatable if the club he lands is a better/worse developing environment than what he'd get here - too often the euro club's don't give the kids (not name Pulisic) a chance to play, and then he'd be better here.

How would he play against us? In MLS, we hold his rights, but if he goes to Europe he can pick which ever club he wants/qualifies for. Maybe he's waiting until after the U17 cup to see if there's foreign interest, and if so then that's a big loss for MLS from a transfer standpoint. But it'll be debatable if the club he lands is a better/worse developing environment than what he'd get here - too often the euro club's don't give the kids (not name Pulisic) a chance to play, and then he'd be better here.

Is foreign interest even something available to him? Does he hold a foreign passport?

And to piggyback on this a bit (let's just assume for shits and giggles he has a foreign passport), if we were to lose him to a foreign club, that wouldn't necessarily mean that the club didn't try hard to keep him here.

Some kids are going to want to go take their chance in Europe (ala Pulisic) and any club here in the states really won't be able to do much about it.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
The recent quotes made it seem like he'd be busy with the U17 camp until the summer so they would revisit it at that point. I dont think there is a place on the team for him, since Herrera is basically the same player. I think everyone overhyped him since it's the first CDM we've seen in our shirt

You can still sign him and let him train. Being away for U-17s just means that he is actually getting game time. I really don't see the argument for not signing him. He doesn't even hit our salary cap. Rather spend $55k on him than another Allen brother.

Not like Sands would be the only 16 year old in the league. I hear Alphonso Davies is killing it for the whitecaps

He has been killing it in preseason in everything I read and if it wasn't for signing Montero they may have had to start him. Sad he emigrated to Canada and not the US

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
The kid Carleton has looked great as well for Atlanta. I wonder what the loan terms are with Charleston Battery.

Reactions: adam
Is foreign interest even something available to him? Does he hold a foreign passport?
By the time of the u17 WC, it will be only about 9 months before he can sign. The nightmarish and eminently plausible scenario is he just quits our academy after that's over, or even at the end of the year.

He could commute for weeks at a time to a Euro club/academy with a handshake agreement. He can then sign on his 18th birthday. Gaines was captaining Wolfsburg u-19 while he was "unattached".

Bundesliga is a good bet since work permit issues aren't as prominent.

Damnit. We need to sign him.

I thought I would post the following about Shelton, which is why I am optimistic about him this season and think he will be a terrific threat off the bench all year.

At the beginning of the season, he started 10 of the first 14 games, with 2 goals and 4 assists.

Over the next 12 games, he got on the field 3 times for a total of 44 minutes and didn't register.

Over the last 8 games, he came off the bench 5 and started 3 and got 2 goals and 5 assists.

Overall, he started 13 games with 2 goals and 7 assists. He came off the bench in 9 games totaling 179 minutes and had 2 goals and 2 assists (all in the last 7 games of the season).

His best performances were at the end of the year, and when he was coming off the bench. This year, with a few players ahead of him on the wing, he will be coming off the bench again. I like him very much coming off the bench, and he showed at the end of the year that he can be a game changer in this regard, with his 2 assists to beat DC, tying goal against Dallas, and his play against Columbus, in which he scored a goal and was on the field while we outscored them 3-0.

I'm assuming that Mix has been bought out already today. The contract has been voided and a transfer of $1.5M+ has been made to the bank account of his choice.

However, NYCFC will not announce the news until they need to. They don't want it to be a distraction or a media question for Vieira or Reyna leading up to the match versus Orlando or even next week versus DC.