2017 Roster Discussion

I'm assuming that Mix has been bought out already today. The contract has been voided and a transfer of $1.5M+ has been made to the bank account of his choice.

However, NYCFC will not announce the news until they need to. They don't want it to be a distraction or a media question for Vieira or Reyna leading up to the match versus Orlando or even next week versus DC.
Huh? To me, The distraction is letting it hang, if we had journalists willing/allowed to ask anyway.

It's not a distraction to say it's over. I'd presume they would want to get it out ASAP, answer any questions, move everyone past it.

If the roster has to be in compliance by EOD today, questions will be asked when it's reported. I was almost wondering if there was some 11th hour deal on the table or something at this point. No reason for that other than my presumption tends so heavily to "take your medicine and be done with it."

God knows what's actually going on.

Huh? To me, The distraction is letting it hang, if we had journalists willing/allowed to ask anyway.

It's not a distraction to say it's over. I'd presume they would want to get it out ASAP, answer any questions, move everyone past it.

If the roster has to be in compliance by EOD today, questions will be asked when it's reported. I was almost wondering if there was some 11th hour deal on the table or something at this point. No reason for that other than my presumption tends so heavily to "take your medicine and be done with it."

God knows what's actually going on.
11th hour flight to the Galaxy

Reactions: Kjbert
Matt Doyle seriously doesn't like us. Last year we proved this old-time Metro fan wrong by making the playoffs when he said we had zero shot in the middle of the season.

#FuckTheHaters

He puts us in Tier 3: The Pack (Behind TFC, NJRB, Columbus, and DC)...

I'm obviously afraid to make any guarantees with this team one way or another, so I'm just going to stick them straight in the middle. NYCFC have gotten younger in goal, on the backline, in midfield and on the wings. They have legitimate talent in depth, and I think Patrick Vieira learned a lot about what to do and a little about what not to do (welcome to the postseason!) in Year 1 as a head coach.

I think David Villa has at least one more year in his tank, and that Jonathan Lewis is a special talent, as is – obviously – Jack Harrison. I think they will produce the most methodical and prettiest goal build-ups of any team in the league this season. I think Maxi Moralez has a chance to be very, very good in this league. I think we should all enjoy what's probably the final year of the Andrea Pirlo era.

I don't know what to think beyond that. Their expected goals totals from last year say this team should regress, but there was such a heavy home/away tilt it's almost impossible to divine anything from that. The lack of Frank Lampard and Andoni Iraola in midfield says they should regress, but maybe this team needed to move on from the veterans? The questions on the backline say the team should regress, but... well, you know the drill.

NYCFC%20XI%202%2028.png

I was reading some of his/MLS staff's predictions for the ending table this year and literally they had Toronto first, RB second, and us third in the east while leaving Chicago 7th, and Atlanta 8th... literally they just looked at last year and said the same thing is going to happen again. If your gonna make a prediction, make a freaking prediction! Don't say the same thing as last year. I think this forum could make better guesses than the guys who are paid to make a prediction for the league. I'm honestly thinking about making it a thread

Last edited:
I was reading some of his/MLS staff's predictions for the ending table this year and literally they had Toronto first, RB second, and is third in the east while leaving Chicago 7th, and Atlanta 8th... literally they just looked at last year and said the same thing is going to happen again. If your gonna make a prediction, make a freaking prediction! Not say the same thing as last year. I think this forum could make a better guess than the guys who are paid to make a prediction for the league. I'm honestly thinking about making it a thread

Herc Gomez, now with ESPN, picked Vancouver to win MLS Cup. NOW THAT'S A PREDICTION!

Matt Doyle seriously doesn't like us. Last year we proved this old-time Metro fan wrong by making the playoffs when he said we had zero shot in the middle of the season.

#FuckTheHaters

He puts us in Tier 3: The Pack (Behind TFC, NJRB, Columbus, and DC)...

I'm obviously afraid to make any guarantees with this team one way or another, so I'm just going to stick them straight in the middle. NYCFC have gotten younger in goal, on the backline, in midfield and on the wings. They have legitimate talent in depth, and I think Patrick Vieira learned a lot about what to do and a little about what not to do (welcome to the postseason!) in Year 1 as a head coach.

I think David Villa has at least one more year in his tank, and that Jonathan Lewis is a special talent, as is – obviously – Jack Harrison. I think they will produce the most methodical and prettiest goal build-ups of any team in the league this season. I think Maxi Moralez has a chance to be very, very good in this league. I think we should all enjoy what's probably the final year of the Andrea Pirlo era.

I don't know what to think beyond that. Their expected goals totals from last year say this team should regress, but there was such a heavy home/away tilt it's almost impossible to divine anything from that. The lack of Frank Lampard and Andoni Iraola in midfield says they should regress, but maybe this team needed to move on from the veterans? The questions on the backline say the team should regress, but... well, you know the drill.

NYCFC%20XI%202%2028.png

Doyle is going to look like an idiot again. He's basically saying we are a worse team than last year, when we're clearly better.

Reactions: Kjbert
I was reading some of his/MLS staff's predictions for the ending table this year and literally they had Toronto first, RB second, and us third in the east while leaving Chicago 7th, and Atlanta 8th... literally they just looked at last year and said the same thing is going to happen again. If your gonna make a prediction, make a freaking prediction! Don't say the same thing as last year. I think this forum could make better guesses than the guys who are paid to make a prediction for the league. I'm honestly thinking about making it a thread

Don't be shy. Make the thread.

Reactions: CCMore
Doyle is going to look like an idiot again. He's basically saying we are a worse team than last year, when we're clearly better.
If he made the argument we overperformed more convincingly, and our anal horseshoe fat frank is gone, I could buy it. It's entirely possible we are better and don't get any more points. But that's not what he says.

He's a peckerhead.

The idea of just worrying about how our players perform on the pitch, and not if they really signed a contract, will they return from Manchester, are they really injured, why are they not even in the 18, will they move him and open up our cap, will they cut him.... well without all that to talk about, it makes me a little sad :(

The idea of just worrying about how our players perform on the pitch, and not if they really signed a contract, will they return from Manchester, are they really injured, why are they not even in the 18, will they move him and open up our cap, will they cut him.... well without all that to talk about, it makes me a little sad :(
One Friday when I'm bored and want to start a Fi-ah thread, I'm posting an off topic thread re: my theory that fat Frank and his merry band of Manc trolls is the biggest reason we have the best and most active forum in MLS.

If he made the argument we overperformed more convincingly, and our anal horseshoe fat frank is gone, I could buy it. It's entirely possible we are better and don't get any more points. But that's not what he says.

He's a peckerhead.

Agree 100% - I expect this years team to be twice as enjoyable to watch as last year but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we equal last years regular season point total. Last year was a fragile team that overperformed.

I was looking at our roster page on the MLS Live app and TMac is listed at 5'9 170 pounds. Other players who are 5'9.
Villa 148
Mata 154
Jack 155

Players 5'8
Mikey 160
Ring 159

Players 5'10
Pirlo 150
Brown 178???

Those are players around his height. If he wants to keep his minutes, he need to be more athletic. He's slow and sluggish, he gets muscled off the ball easily, his physical makeup is letting his game IQ down. I've been saying this since our HISTORIC INAUGURAL SEASON, he needs to lose weight and get in better shape. The quality in the team now could reduce drastically his minutes.