2017 Roster Discussion

Nothing. That's my worry
My worry is you talking about them selling Jack at mid year. Sell Matarrita, fine. You can't sell both of them at mid year and claim to give a shit about winning.

Talk about dumping season tickets, this would make me drop all of them pending who they signed. I think you're wrong and there's no way Jack is sold during this season. But if you're right, I'll be done.

My worry is you talking about them selling Jack at mid year. Sell Matarrita, fine. You can't sell both of them at mid year and claim to give a shit about winning.

Talk about dumping season tickets, this would make me drop all of them pending who they signed. I think you're wrong and there's no way Jack is sold during this season. But if you're right, I'll be done.
Doesn't make economical sense to sell Jack until the end of next season. Need 3+ years of mls service to get the full 2/3s amount of the transfer fee.

Jack won't be sold this summer. But the offers are decent right now. A $3 million transfer fee is a nice bounty in MLS. And remember that he has a British passport. It's all about reinvestment as Seattle has shown.

If I was a betting man, I would say 50/50 Matarrita is sold this summer. 40/60 Harrison is sold in the winter. And 75/25 we lose an Academy player by season's end with no compensation.

Reactions: adam
Let me throw a hypothetical out

What if Matarrita was sold so we could pay Harrison?

Let me throw a hypothetical out

What if Matarrita was sold so we could pay Harrison?
Pay Harrison what? Do we even know when his contract is up - if a 3yr, there's prob a year option that can be exercised by the team, so we don't need to offer a new contract yet. Plus, all indications point to him wanting citizenship so he's not leaving yet.

My theory is that Mata is sold to pay for either his replacement I've mentioned, or to pay down Maxi.

Just curious: did Lebogang Phiri play against us in the 2015 friendly? I can only find NYCFC's roster, not Brøndby's

Reactions: Kjbert
Doesn't make economical sense to sell Jack until the end of next season. Need 3+ years of mls service to get the full 2/3s amount of the transfer fee.

That's why Orlando hasn't sold Larin yet. They will be a completely different looking team come playoff time if he goes this summer.

I am not as convinced Mata is gone this summer as I was a few months ago. I think he really likes playing with Rodney (who I don't think is going anywhere) and there has to be a school of thought that Mata is going to maximize his value after the 2018 world cup, but that he isn't going to feature in the WC unless he is getting regular playing time for his Club, which makes a big transfer this year riskier.

Pay Harrison what? Do we even know when his contract is up - if a 3yr, there's prob a year option that can be exercised by the team, so we don't need to offer a new contract yet. Plus, all indications point to him wanting citizenship so he's not leaving yet.

My theory is that Mata is sold to pay for either his replacement I've mentioned, or to pay down Maxi.

He will lose his GA contract status after this season based on minutes played. We were very lucky with this after last season.

Then his deal goes on the books. He will have two seasons left on his contract at (I think) $125k per. Totally reasonable contract.

Reactions: adam
I am not as convinced Mata is gone this summer as I was a few months ago. I think he really likes playing with Rodney (who I don't think is going anywhere) and there has to be a school of thought that Mata is going to maximize his value after the 2018 world cup, but that he isn't going to feature in the WC unless he is getting regular playing time for his Club, which makes a big transfer this year riskier.
Well put, didn't really think of that. I've always thought he would be gone this summer, but you bring up some very good points here.

This talk of Ring possibly leaving after one year made me to scan the internet... And in the leading Finnish newspaper's interview in February he clearly says (in Finnish, no use for a link) that he's got a contract for two years, with the option for a third year. I don't know where this 1-year contract thing comes from.

This talk of Ring possibly leaving after one year made me to scan the internet... And in the leading Finnish newspaper's interview in February he clearly says (in Finnish, no use for a link) that he's got a contract for two years, with the option for a third year. I don't know where this 1-year contract thing comes from.

Lol, took on a life of it's own I guess. Transfermarkt also has his deal listed through the end of 2018.

I have no idea what web outlet or twitter post ran with it initially, but I def read it online somewhere and not here (as random speculation). The whole flying back/forth for NT games was highlighted as a major sticking point.

Reactions: Kjbert

Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought I read it as something he said when interviewed during media day before the home opener

Reactions: Christopher Jee