2017 Roster Discussion

Araos wouldn't make shit up about a player, he only does it when it comes to our fans.

Why spend effort talking about him and why spend valuable seconds of your life giving his clearly biased site valuable page views?

Dude has a hate on for us blues, he can occasionally conceal it in a vague duty towards journalism but it's clear who he writes in favor of.

Reactions: BxLio91
Only alphabetical? Geez.

MIX DISKERUD IS STILL LISTED ON OUR SALARY!!!

And Moralez at $2M really pisses me off. So it would take $1.6M GAM/TAM to pay him down. Fuck Claudio Reyna.

You can't buy down a player who's making over $1 million. He will be a DP as long as he's with the team. That sucks. How long is his contract again? (EDIT: It's thru the 2019 season, so a 3-year deal total.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Chanot confirmed to be on $350k base. I know there was some concern that he would be double that, because we weren't sure whether his salary reported last year was prorated.

With Chanot at $350k and Callens at $180k, Brillant at $280k looks like this offseason's Hernandez.

Other than Maxi and Brillant being a little bit high for what they provide, our salary budget looks reasonably clean. I'm sure someone will say something about McNamara's $180k as well, but that isn't too, too bad in MLS 3.0 with rising budgets.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
I don't mind Maxi as a DP, but seeing guys like Valeri and Lodiero around the same salary makes you wonder. Pirlo at 6mil is what we should all be shaking our heads at.
That's where I am. I like Maxi, even as a DP. But $2m seems like quite a bit for him (even though extra $$ for a DP doesn't necessarily matter for cap purposes).

Server must be getting hammered. I can't download it.

I don't mind Maxi as a DP, but seeing guys like Valeri and Lodiero around the same salary makes you wonder. Pirlo at 6mil is what we should all be shaking our heads at.
To fans, the difference between $2mm and $6mm is meaningless. If your point is simply that a DP spot is wasted on Pilo for that is another matter.
I never understood why people gave so much credit to the idea that we could or would pay down Maxi. I mean, hoping is fun and all, and I've nothing against it, but this never had any basis that I could see.

Maxi hurts as a DP because we scraped him off a bench in Mexico. He's performing OK, but he's only expected to be an average DP, and we have higher expectations than that in New York, frankly. We should not be spending "only" $2 million on our DP's unless they're high-potential young guys or something. And definitely not lock ourselves into three years of a $2-million-level DP.

Hopeful me says maybe we are just trying to extract a transfer fee from him, plus GAM. If we got him for free, that was a good grab. Have him perform well for a year, then flip him back to Liga MX or something for $1 million or whatever.

I never understood why people gave so much credit to the idea that we could or would pay down Maxi. I mean, hoping is fun and all, and I've nothing against it, but this never had any basis that I could see.

Because it made logical sense. Maxi Moralez is basically the same as Victor Vazquez, Toronto's free transfer from Mexico last offseason. Vazquez and Moralez play the same position, have featured in 7 games, scored once, and have two assists. Moralez makes $2 million, while Vazquez makes $630k. Had Moralez made in the $600-900k range, we could save the TAM by temporarily parking him in the DP spot.

To fans, the difference between $2mm and $6mm is meaningless. If your point is simply that a DP spot is wasted on Pilo for that is another matter.

I think if the team is going to stick with a $6m-$6m-$2m model for DPs, you have to set the bar with the players currently succeeding with ~$6m - Villa, Giovinco, Kaka, Schweinsteiger (so far, at least, has looked superb). It's not an exact science, but you have to be a top player in the league if you're a top-3 earner. For Pirlo, going 7 games with 2 shots, no goals, no assists is abysmal. I don't care what his game is, for 6 million you have to be getting more production out of a player considered a creator. Not to mention, we're already seeing better free kicks and corners from non-Pirlos. Makes me sad.

I was finally able to pull it down after 5-6 tries.
I wonder what's up with all the guys making $_____.04, including Morales.
And our starting RB makes $65k with guys on the bench making several multiples of that. Even Mikey makes $10k more.

Reactions: Kjbert