2017 Roster Discussion

But unlike Castillo, our club is probably better off without him. If he wants out so bad let him go and clear the cap space.
Exactly. That's how we shed Nemec, via a mutually agreed contract cancellation. The only reason Mena cannot leave is either the club wants him, or he wants to leave but still get paid.

Ask and you shall receive.

So we heard the report from EoS that the loan wasn't finalized. Legit info, totally right.

But apparently it hasn't even been really started.

Apparently there's not even an offer from NYCFC to Barcelona SC on the table. The impression is that since Mena and/or his agent don't see him getting time next season they're doing this to force a move.

While it's shitty, it's happened before. Fabian Castillo's agent encouraged him to go to Turkey before any deal was done last season.

So, don't blame NYCFC for lack of news on this one. This one is ALL on Mena and his team as well as Barcelona SC.

Do we use the buyout on him?

Reactions: Kjbert
I was really into baseball sabermetrics a decade ago, and I actually worked for two years as a stats analyst for a fantasy sports publication. Statistical analytics seems 10x more difficult in soccer.

It's unfortunate, isn't it?

One of the things I love about baseball is you can totally destroy the "eye test" with advanced stats like OPS+, BABIP and WAR.

Your friend telling everyone how Pitcher A stinks because he had 6 wins and 14 losses last year?

Just head over to Fangraphs to see how he really pitched by checking out his xFIP.

Ask and you shall receive.

So we heard the report from EoS that the loan wasn't finalized. Legit info, totally right.

But apparently it hasn't even been really started.

Apparently there's not even an offer from NYCFC to Barcelona SC on the table. The impression is that since Mena and/or his agent don't see him getting time next season they're doing this to force a move.

While it's shitty, it's happened before. Fabian Castillo's agent encouraged him to go to Turkey before any deal was done last season.

So, don't blame NYCFC for lack of news on this one. This one is ALL on Mena and his team as well as Barcelona SC.

So let me get this straight: There's no actual loan agreemnet, Mena is just faking it? And this team is going along for the ride hoping it gets the player? That's insane. Also, the fact this player has such a lack of respect for our front office that he would put them in this position isn't a good thing. He's been here a year and a half. The fact there's this much bad blood between player and club is unnerving. They apparently need to start treating their players a bit better so these types of things don't happen.

How is this legal by FIFA? If he's under contract how can he take up another contract without team consent? Because we're currently not in season? So is Mena assuming that by the time he's supposed to report to NYCFC there WILL be a deal in place?

So let me get this straight: There's no actual loan agreemnet, Mena is just faking it? And this team is going along for the ride hoping it gets the player? That's insane. Also, the fact this player has such a lack of respect for our front office that he would put them in this position isn't a good thing. He's been here a year and a half. The fact there's this much bad blood between player and club is unnerving.

The thing is, this is considered standard operating procedure in many parts of the world, including South America. Sure, it's sleazy, but when the buying clubs don't have the money to throw around large sums of cash on official transfer fees and the player himself wants out, they generally don't feel too unjustified. I guess it's a bit like how beggars on the street tend to find it very easy to justify stealing apples and other foodstuffs, just on a whole different level. Thing is that this gets punished so rarely (it's generally only the player who is ever penalised) that it becomes quite easy to see it as a legitimate action after a while.

How is this legal by FIFA? If he's under contract how can he take up another contract without team consent? Because we're currently not in season? So is Mena assuming that by the time he's supposed to report to NYCFC there WILL be a deal in place?

It's not. It's technically "tapping up" according to FIFA, whose rules say that players cannot enter discussions with a new club until their current club has given authorisation for talks to start. However, in the last ten or twenty years, tapping up has become so frequent and so blatant that FIFA has simply stopped punishing it except in the most high-profile of cases. Honestly I think that as long teams continue to use the transfer system to sign off moves, FIFA are the really that bothered.

This sounds like Mena is feeling brazen after seeing NYCFC blink dealing with Mix. He knows he's #3 and has decided he has nothing to lose since NYCFC doesn't want to eat his salary on the bench - they can't punish him any more than what he's already expecting with the bench and the Cap can't handle losing another player to banishment.

It sucks for all of us that there's turmoil like this, but his agent played a strong hand, and that's what agents are supposed to do.

How does Mena know we won't go 3 at the back?

According to Crooks the clubs supports Mena's move:

This makes sense. The Club is usually pretty supportive of players who want a move.

Reactions: Kjbert
Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
Anyone know anything about this guy?

From the poking around the internet I've done, he's close to a Mendoza replacement. He's a goal scorer more than a creator, and he prefers to play centrally but can also play on the wing.

He's a year younger than Mendoza at 23 years old.

I think he will have the edge on McNamara for the starting LW spot, but it would be a camp competition. Could also play CAM, but rumors have pointed to Harrison sliding into that spot.

Hopefully we still have another attacking mid or winger acquisition up our sleeve this offseason (Honda?). Villa and Camargo as goal scorers and Harrison and Honda as creators/scorers, with Pirlo playing point guard and a new CDM protecting the whole thing would be lovely. Shelton and Mac off the bench.

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about this guy?
Young (23) midfielder/forward with national team caps (albeit not for a powerhouse). Scored 12 in 32 this year which is a good rate from the midfield, albeit some likely from up top. I won't pretend that I know any more about him than that!

Could also play CAM, but rumors have pointed to Harrison sliding into that spot.
I hope that (and think that it is highly possible that) the team will fill in the blanks with intention of moving Harrison into the CAM. He was great at wing (at times), and certainly played above expectations as a rookie, but I think that he is more naturally a high attacking MF. Some of his best plays this season were when he had drifted to a central role during the run of play and was distributing the ball to wings (for example, his pass to Shelton against Columbus) or bull rushing through the middle (for example, his run against Philly with the ultimate back pass to Villa). I think that some of his vision, distribution, burst and craftiness were lost on the wing where he would often just put his head down and proceed vertically. He also has the speed and work rate to help out defensively if necessary, although we haven't seen his capabilities yet in that facet. If it works, you would see a lot more cohesion in the middle of the field than you saw with the clunkier version given Lamp's strengths and weaknesses.
Of course, a lot will depend on the other pieces. I hope that JH ends up in the middle.
(Sorry, also just seeing T Tom in Fairfield CT making this point as well.)

I hope that (and think that it is highly possible that) the team will fill in the blanks with intention of moving Harrison into the CAM. He was great at wing (at times), and certainly played above expectations as a rookie, but I think that he is more naturally a high attacking MF. Some of his best plays this season were when he had drifted to a central role during the run of play and was distributing the ball to wings (for example, his pass to Shelton against Columbus) or bull rushing through the middle (for example, his run against Philly with the ultimate back pass to Villa). I think that some of his vision, distribution, burst and craftiness were lost on the wing where he would often just put his head down and proceed vertically. He also has the speed and work rate to help out defensively if necessary, although we haven't seen his capabilities yet in that facet. If it works, you would see a lot more cohesion in the middle of the field than you saw with the clunkier version given Lamp's strengths and weaknesses.
Of course, a lot will depend on the other pieces. I hope that JH ends up in the middle.
(Sorry, also just seeing T Tom in Fairfield CT making this point as well.)

Code:
---------------------Villa----------------------
--Camargo-------------------------------DP RW---
--------------------Harrison--------------------
------------------------------------------------
---------------Pirlo----------------------------
-----------------------------CDM----------------
-Matarrita------------------------------Allen---
---------------Chanot-----Brillant--------------
------------------------------------------------
--------------------Johnson---------------------

I wouldn't say no to this. Aside from a DP RW and new CDM, would also look at a more defensive RB in order to shift effectively into a 3-man backline when necessary.