2017 Roster Discussion

Getting nervous we are going to wait until the summer for DP3. I see that as wasting this year. Pirlo is a unique talent on this team ,and the players around him need time to figure out how he works in this team. Even if it is Khedira who has played with him before, its a different set up here.

It took a special player to finally allow him to do what he can last season in Iraola. If you bring in DP3 in the summer, assuming its a CDM, you are saying we need to find someone to do that role for the first half, then integrate the new CDM after the summer.

Getting nervous we are going to wait until the summer for DP3. I see that as wasting this year. Pirlo is a unique talent on this team ,and the players around him need time to figure out how he works in this team. Even if it is Khedira who has played with him before, its a different set up here.

It took a special player to finally allow him to do what he can last season in Iraola. If you bring in DP3 in the summer, assuming its a CDM, you are saying we need to find someone to do that role for the first half, then integrate the new CDM after the summer.
I hear what you're saying, but you gotta get these DP spots right. And if the right player isn't available to bring in now, you have to wait until the summer. And honestly, if the right player isn't available then either, I would again argue that you should wait a little longer again. Obviously, that would suck, and you could argue that the team didn't do enough homework to bring someone in, but I think it would be the right call.

These spots are too valuable and too important to just bring someone in to fill the spot.

I hear what you're saying, but you gotta get these DP spots right. And if the right player isn't available to bring in now, you have to wait until the summer. And honestly, if the right player isn't available then either, I would again argue that you should wait a little longer again. Obviously, that would suck, and you could argue that the team didn't do enough homework to bring someone in, but I think it would be the right call.

These spots are too valuable and too important to just bring someone in to fill the spot.
I agree 100% there. I think Pirlo is too unique to be a good DP in this league. You need to build the team around him, and he is complicating the DP search right now in my mind. BUT he's only here for another year. I'm afraid with that search for the right guy, we end up with a wasted year because of it.

Thinking the same thing at this point. But who knows.... No one expected the team to move up to the #3 spot in the draft. Seems like they play things pretty close to the vest.

I used to be in "sign a DP before the start of the season" camp but look at Lodeiro with the Sounders. If we have to wait till the summer for the perfect player it won't kill us. We just have to play well enough to be in playoff contention till then.

Would still rather DP now then another DP in the summer on the De Jong type of deal. I don't think this team has the talent to compete without a competent CDM. We're gonna miss Iraola this season if we don't sign one right away.

Would still rather DP now then another DP in the summer on the De Jong type of deal. I don't think this team has the talent to compete without a competent CDM. We're gonna miss Iraola this season if we don't sign one right away.

But, Mikey Lopez doe

Reactions: NickA
Pirlo is a unique talent on this team ,and the players around him need time to figure out how he works in this team. Even if it is Khedira who has played with him before, its a different set up here.

Post Of The Offseason.

God damn it give me a hug.

I think Pirlo is too unique to be a good DP in this league. You need to build the team around him

You're not far from the bullseye on this one, Tom.

You and I used to get at each other's throats because you would say things like "lol Pirlo just passed the ball to no one again" and I am a HUGE Pirlo homer and I would defend all things Pirlo but the reality is I THINK Pirlo is an incredible talent who is not a good fit for MLS.

Clearly Pirlo was an outstanding fit for AC Milan, the Italian national team and Juve. The results spreak for themselves.

You're not far from the bullseye on this one, Tom.

You and I used to get at each other's throats because you would say things like "lol Pirlo just passed the ball to no one again" and I am a HUGE Pirlo homer and I would defend all things Pirlo but the reality is I THINK Pirlo is an incredible talent who is not a good fit for MLS.

Clearly Pirlo was an outstanding fit for AC Milan, the Italian national team and Juve. The results spreak for themselves.
One of the unique players who I think could still play better in a higher quality league than he could here in the MLS. He's still my favorite player, but just not good fit for us or for the league.

One of the unique players who I think could still play better in a higher quality league than he could here in the MLS. He's still my favorite player, but just not good fit for us or for the league.
Mexico? That's about the only league other than Serie A where you're allowed to stand on the ball in midfield.

Reactions: Kjbert
Mexico? That's about the only league other than Serie A where you're allowed to stand on the ball in midfield.
I think its not so much how much opposing teams allow him time on the ball, but rather how his team is set up to play.

I think the MLS is a poor fit purely because there aren't teams good enough to build around him and hide his weaknesses.

If he got the right team, and the right manager, there are few levels where he would struggle.

The gap in talent between DPs and ordinary players , makes it hard for us to punish teams for marking pirlo out of the game. In almost any other league, the rest of the team could hurt you for parking a player or two on pirlos shoulder. On our team it means Mikey Lopez gets the ball.

I used to be in "sign a DP before the start of the season" camp but look at Lodeiro with the Sounders. If we have to wait till the summer for the perfect player it won't kill us. We just have to play well enough to be in playoff contention till then.
Also look at Jermaine Jones to NER a few years ago. For that matter, check out what Mullins and Sam did for DC in the second half of last year.

Get the right players. Worry less about timing.