2017 Roster Discussion

Thank Mikey. I don't make the facts, just report them.
Agree, just think we should be aiming higher than having our chief layer of midfield defense provide cover via reaction (a la Mix) vs. proactive positioning (a la Iraola).
Khedira played cover man for Xabi Alonso at Real Madrid, so I think he can handle it for us.

Not having Lampard in the lineup will in itself give Pirlo more freedom, which is what I guess you mean with true regista. (B/c to me he was certainly playing as a regista last year)

In an ideal world, I would like for us to play those two with another CM. To me, I don't see that as Jack. Jack and the other wing can start outside and drift into the half spaces to play as AM.

All of that assumes there's no chance in hell we play Villa as a 9.5 or LAM, which I don't necessarily agree with but understand.
I meant Pirlo in a role closer to what he played for Juve – first to receive the ball deep, flanked by two beasts – vs. how he played last year, where Iraola almost always sat behind him.

Tend to agree with you RE: Jack unfortunately.

If we had another CB we could play that way like Juve did. 3 at the back. 5 mid and villa and a kid up top.
giphy.gif

Pirlo paired with Khedira and another box to box midfielder is how he played under Conte and Alleghri. The idea of Mix is a great complement.

Then Harrison in front with Villa and another Forward up top. That's how Juve played

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
Here is my best arguement on why Sami Khederia is not going to happen, it leaked and we know about it well before hand.

The only time we've leaked was during the Tefu saga, and I'm convinced that was either his agent or Kreis' poor coaching staff.

Reactions: Kjbert
Here is my best arguement on why Sami Khederia is not going to happen, it leaked and we know about it well before hand.

The only time we've leaked was during the Tefu saga, and I'm convinced that was either his agent or Kreis' poor coaching staff.
Not saying we're getting Khedira, but the Pirlo leakage was kind of Titanic in scope. The iceberg hit, there was a hole, it leaked like hell, the ship broke in two, it sank, and we still didn't get an official announcement for like another 3 weeks.

Not saying we're getting Khedira, but the Pirlo leakage was kind of Titanic in scope. The iceberg hit, there was a hole, it leaked like hell, the ship broke in two, it sank, and we still didn't get an official announcement for like another 3 weeks.
We'll know it's a done deal when there's a khedira to NYCFC rumor article on the MLS site.

We have an international roster spot and a DP spot open...

We don't need internet rumor, we've heard it from the man himself when Jack asked Khedira when he was coming to NYC (or was it MLS?) at Wolfgangs and he replied, "Soon."

From then to this summer will have been soon...

[It's happening Ron Paul gif]

If it leaked, I take that as meaning that someone is negotiating something and are using the leaks as a leverage point. We just don't know who or what. For all we know Khedira's agent could leak this in order to try to get a better deal with Juvy.

If we get Khedira, it's not til late July or early August probably. Not a popular opinion but I think that spot needs to be Mix's til Khedira were to get here because I don't think my eyes could take a midfield that had Lopez in it every week.

One thing to remember if we don't get Khedira until the summer: his Cap hit is effectively cut in half (2016 value $457k for full year that goes up some bit this year) and that means we would have ~$230k to play with for the rest of the roster. It could mean an extra ~$115k to a player for a full year. Or some other split amongst multiple players.

While I'd rather have 3DPs for the entire season, there is a cost benefit to only half the campaign.

Because the offseason thread is closed. Sean Okoli is also in Manchester per Khiry's Snapchat. Don't know if I listed him before. This is in adition to Khiry (obviously), Lopez, Allen, and Mataritta.