2017 Roster Discussion

giphy.gif

The more reports out of Europe that emerge, the more it seems Khedira will be a replacement for Pirlo. Which will leave us in the same "what DP do we sign next summer" limbo that we've had this winter.

As has been said before, we don't need to bring them in to start the season but it sure as hell helps.

The more reports out of Europe that emerge, the more it seems Khedira will be a replacement for Pirlo. Which will leave us in the same "what DP do we sign next summer" limbo that we've had this winter.

As has been said before, we don't need to bring them in to start the season but it sure as hell helps.

So, we'll be waiting for Khedira until the 2018? Or, we'll have three DPs during the 2017 season...

Reactions: Kjbert

The issue I have is that the team sheet right now does not look like a playoff team. I dont care if we dont sign a DP until the summer, since we've been playign with 2 DPs most of the time anyway. But, we are in dire need of a high level signing to round out the midfield.

Why do you think he's a replacement for Pirlo? I mean to say, I think he's both. He can play alongside him for this year, and then we'll play a more traditional 4-3-3 when we don't have old legs to worry about.

I think Sami could give us 4-5 years at a very high level, at least 2-3 of those being at the very top, top level.

Mexico? That's about
Why do you think he's a replacement for Pirlo? I mean to say, I think he's both. He can play alongside him for this year, and then we'll play a more traditional 4-3-3 when we don't have old legs to worry about.

I think Sami could give us 4-5 years at a very high level, at least 2-3 of those being at the very top, top level.
agree- it makes more sense for him to be offloaded this summer so Juventus can get a replacement that is integrated into their preseason training. If true, that means he isn't replacing Pirlo and somebody else would be brought in to do that next winter (or following summer)

Can you please explain this a little bit better?

Are you saying that Khedira would join in the Summer of 2018 when he has one year left on his deal?

In that case, do you think we will play 2017 with two DPs?

Reactions: Ulrich
So, we'll be waiting for Khedira until the 2018? Or, we'll have three DPs during the 2017 season...
I think we'll sign him this summer. We will have three DPs for the second half of the season.

I don't mean he's a like for like replacement on the field. They both play different roles, I meant that he'd replace him as our midfield DP once Pirlo is gone after this year. And before anyone asks, I don't have any inside information that Pirlo is done after this year but that's just my hunch.

Can you please explain this a little bit better?

Are you saying that Khedira would join in the Summer of 2018 when he has one year left on his deal?

In that case, do you think we will play 2017 with two DPs?

I think Khedira joins this summer, we play 2017 with two DPs until the transfer window opens and Khedira joins us for the second half, we play with 3 DPs for the rest of the year and then Pirlo retires in the winter so January 2018 we have Villa & Khedira and we're wondering who our third DP is again.

We have an international roster spot and a DP spot open...

We don't need internet rumor, we've heard it from the man himself when Jack Jack asked Khedira when he was coming to NYC (or was it MLS?) at Wolfgangs and he replied, "Soon."

From then to this summer will have been soon...

[It's happening Ron Paul gif]

Dude, you have a great memory. I believe the verbiage I used was "when are you going to come play here" so that could have meant NYCFC or MLS.

I think we'll sign him this summer. We will have three DPs for the second half of the season.

I don't mean he's a like for like replacement on the field. They both play different roles, I meant that he'd replace him as our midfield DP once Pirlo is gone after this year. And before anyone asks, I don't have any inside information that Pirlo is done after this year but that's just my hunch.

I think Khedira joins this summer, we play 2017 with two DPs until the transfer window opens and Khedira joins us for the second half, we play with 3 DPs for the rest of the year and then Pirlo retires in the winter so January 2018 we have Villa & Khedira and we're wondering who our third DP is again.

This plan passes the smell test.

The only thing to figure out is who plays CDM the first half of the season (or longer if Khedira falls though). I hope we don't shy away from spending some money there, just because we might sign Khedira in the summer. There would be nothing wrong with playing Khedira as a 6 behind Pirlo, but then moving him up to an 8 with a 6 behind him in 2018. In other words, a CDM signed now would only need to be moved off position for the 2-3 months that Pirlo and Khedira overlap.

Another RB/CDM type or CB/CDM type would be perfect. Like Johnathan Spector. Or trade for Matt Polster. Anything, anything but Mikey Lopez penned in as a starter please.

This plan passes the smell test.

The only thing to figure out is who plays CDM the first half of the season (or longer if Khedira falls though). I hope we don't shy away from spending some money there, just because we might sign Khedira in the summer. There would be nothing wrong with playing Khedira as a 6 behind Pirlo, but then moving him up to an 8 with a 6 behind him in 2018. In other words, a CDM signed now would only need to be moved off position for the 2-3 months that Pirlo and Khedira overlap.

Another RB/CDM type or CB/CDM type would be perfect. Like Johnathan Spector. Or trade for Matt Polster. Anything, anything but Mikey Lopez penned in as a starter please.
I think Camargo, Lopez, Awuah and Allen fight for that CDM spot right now.

Interesting that you mention Allen for that spot. I think he can handle the speed and physicality required for that position. The issue is that he is miserable in distribution. He makes poor decisions when hurried. I don't know if he can fix that.

I would rather see us play 4-3-1-2 if that is the case and put two mobile midfielders around Pirlo - McNamara and Camargo maybe. Harrison tucked underneath two forwards.

I'm just worried this is going to set us up to be playing with 2 DPs and then signing a 3rd DP in summer for a long time.

Play 1st half of 2017 with 2 DPs
Sign Khedira in summer
Pirlo Retires at end of 2017
Play 1st half of 2018 with 2 DPs
Sign 3rd DP no.1 in summer
Villa retires at end of 2018
Play 1st half of 2019 with 2 DPs
Sign 3rd DP no.2 in summer
Khedira retires at end of 2019
Play 1st half of 2020 with 2 DPs
Sign 3rd DP no.3 in summer
Move into stadium

And if our post Khedira DPs are older it could go on forever

Camargo is a goal scorer. Much more likely to be thought of as a LW, or possibly a CAM.

Otherwise I agree. And that scares me a bit. The options of Lopez at CDM or Allen at CDM with Gomez at RB look pretty weak on paper. And Awuah being ready to start is not something to rely on either, but rather consider a bonus if it happens.

Dark horse to play CDM: Mix.

Interesting that you mention Allen for that spot. I think he can handle the speed and physicality required for that position. The issue is that he is miserable in distribution. He makes poor decisions when hurried. I don't know if he can fix that.

That's not a nice thing to say about the man about the win the Forums' Assist of the Year award.

I would rather see us play 4-3-1-2 if that is the case and put two mobile midfielders around Pirlo - McNamara and Camargo maybe. Harrison tucked underneath two forwards.
Please no RJ in midfield. He's not exactly calm on the ball.

Camargo is a goal scorer. Much more likely to be thought of as a LW, or possibly a CAM.

Otherwise I agree. And that scares me a bit. The options of Lopez at CDM or Allen at CDM with Gomez at RB look pretty weak on paper. And Awuah being ready to start is not something to rely on either, but rather consider a bonus if it happens.

Dark horse to play CDM: Mix.
I agree. Neither Mikey nor Allen can effectively play the Pirlo-designed CDM role, and it's nowhere near feasible. AI had the attributes for the perfect safety valve, including composure, awareness, fluidity, and clean one or two touch distribution ability. I don't think that either Mikey or Allen can check a single box. They both provide other value (particularly Allen) but neither should sniff CDM.

Other nonsense aside, Mix is a much better option, albeit a step down from AI in that role, with some adjustments to his game (uptick on positioning/awareness, motor down the happy feet and 5th gear, etc.) If a clean slate is the way forward, he could be a sufficient place-holder for a Sami, unless we can do even better in the interim (Pollster or better, etc.).