2017 Roster Discussion

Lopez has athleticism and strength that you like to see from a midfield ballhawk. In a strictly defensive formation, I think he could work out very well. Unfortunately, our #6 needs to play as a distributor. Neither Allen nor Lopez can play that role.

I would rather see us pay the nominal buy-on fee for Bravo. He has raw skills to play as a distributor in that #6 role.

For NYCFCfan NYCFCfan - do you think the Club has the funds/cap space available to sign another high salary player this offseason?

I think Camargo, Lopez, Awuah and Allen fight for that CDM spot right now.

Has Bravo officially signed elsewhere or is there still a chance we bring him back? From a quick search the last info I could find was an AEK Athens rumor but no official announcement. While not ideal I'd take him as the stop gap over any of the above options.

Also even as a Mix detractor I agree he'd be a better option as well. Ideally we offload him but if he's on the team for $750K a year they need to keep trying to find a place for him in the squad.

For NYCFCfan NYCFCfan - do you think the Club has the funds/cap space available to sign another high salary player this offseason?
Any answer I give would be a guess as they don't let us know how much allocation money or cap space they actually have left. This can be answered if they get rid of one of their 4 keepers.

Though, just my guess: I don't think they'll sign another big name (aside from a DP) this season. If anything we'll fill in the depth chart at CB.

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
I agree. Neither Mikey nor Allen can effectively play the Pirlo-designed CDM role, and it's nowhere near feasible. AI had the attributes for the perfect safety valve, including composure, awareness, fluidity, and clean one or two touch distribution ability. I don't think that either Mikey or Allen can check a single box. They both provide other value (particularly Allen) but neither should sniff CDM.

Other nonsense aside, Mix is a much better option, albeit a step down from AI in that role, with some adjustments to his game (uptick on positioning/awareness, motor down the happy feet and 5th gear, etc.) If a clean slate is the way forward, he could be a sufficient place-holder for a Sami, unless we can do even better in the interim (Pollster or better, etc.).
The Scandinavian that will not be named would definitely take the shots at the top of the box that AI (and Pirlo) always decided to pass on.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Has Bravo officially signed elsewhere or is there still a chance we bring him back? From a quick search the last info I could find was an AEK Athens rumor but no official announcement. While not ideal I'd take him as the stop gap over any of the above options.

Also even as a Mix detractor I agree he'd be a better option as well. Ideally we offload him but if he's on the team for $750K a year they need to keep trying to find a place for him in the squad.
No deal yet, he's currently out of contract but Boca was working with AEK to get a deal done as of the end of December.

Reactions: Kjbert
The Scandinavian that will not be named would definitely take the shots at the top of the box that AI (and Pirlo) always decided to pass on.
I am convinced that Pirlo has a contractual provision penalizing him for goals scored. What else would explain his continuing refusal to take open chances that are optimally within his range or his set piece shortcomings?

I am convinced that Pirlo has a contractual provision penalizing him for goals scored. What else would explain his continuing refusal to take open chances that are optimally within his range or his set piece shortcomings?
A fear of being known as a generic goal scorer and not a set piece maestro.

Any answer I give would be a guess as they don't let us know how much allocation money or cap space they actually have left. This can be answered if they get rid of one of their 4 keepers.

Though, just my guess: I don't think they'll sign another big name (aside from a DP) this season. If anything we'll fill in the depth chart at CB.

If I'm not mistaken, Ethan White is currently our CB#3. The same Ethan White who played himself completely out of the lineup last year at two different positions. I cannot imagine Vieira is comfortable with any plan that has him relying on Ethan White, so it's almost a given that another CB will be brought in.

If I'm not mistaken, Ethan White is currently our CB#3. The same Ethan White who played himself completely out of the lineup last year at two different positions. I cannot imagine Vieira is comfortable with any plan that has him relying on Ethan White, so it's almost a given that another CB will be brought in.
He's actually our 4th/5th CB with the 3rd/4th slots left open. Those two non-existent players would have to get hurt first before White moves up.

Thank you. I was hoping they would make a move for a "TAM" player this year. Or someone in the Chanot range of 350k-450k.

They must be VERY high on Lewis. I think we are short a goal scorer right now.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I am trying to figure out who would replace him on the team.

He has more freedom to move up the pitch this year, so he isn't a defense-only player right now. Most of the mids on the team can play both ways so there is always coverage. Plus that defensive line is impenetrable. It's not like Sami doesn't play though. He's a big part of the team and is playing really well. Roma & Napoli are nipping at their heels. Unless a big time mid falls in their lap, a move won't happen till after the season. They want another title and CL is still a target too. They want to bring young players in mid season to acclimate them early and get some reps with 1st team. Can't see them making a big move like this now. They have their aim on Marco Verratti. They will let Khedira go and go after Marco hard. I'd still make the move though. Pirlo came in and went right to work. It can happen.

Don't worry, Ethan is just an ordinary photographer for the local paper. I've heard he sometimes runs into a phone booth pre-match for an emergency call. Then Norris comes out in a full kit and dominates! We'll be fine.

I am trying to figure out who would replace him on the team.

He has more freedom to move up the pitch this year, so he isn't a defense-only player right now. Most of the mids on the team can play both ways so there is always coverage. Plus that defensive line is impenetrable. It's not like Sami doesn't play though. He's a big part of the team and is playing really well. Roma & Napoli are nipping at their heels. Unless a big time mid falls in their lap, a move won't happen till after the season. They want another title and CL is still a target too. They want to bring young players in mid season to acclimate them early and get some reps with 1st team. Can't see them making a big move like this now. They have their aim on Marco Verratti. They will let Khedira go and go after Marco hard. I'd still make the move though. Pirlo came in and went right to work. It can happen.
Every deal is possible if the correct amount of $$ is flashed. For somebody like Khedira, who would be a hit on the field & in marketing, CFG might just be willing to splash the cash to make it happen this summer.

Every deal is possible if the correct amount of $$ is flashed. For somebody like Khedira, who would be a hit on the field & in marketing, CFG might just be willing to splash the cash to make it happen this summer.

True.

They are getting rid of Evra now and are trying to get Kolasinac from Schalke. They offered like a 2m bonus for it to happen in January instead of the summer. So money can make anything happen. Maybe if we throw Mikey Lopez in it can get done.

Reactions: BxLio91
True.

They are getting rid of Evra now and are trying to get Kolasinac from Schalke. They offered like a 2m bonus for it to happen in January instead of the summer. So money can make anything happen. Maybe if we throw Mikey Lopez in it can get done.
Mikey for Khedira would be an even swap. Juve may even wind up owing us future considerations with that deal.

And Juventus' new logo can only help us.