2017 Roster Discussion

Farfan is an interesting player to bring in for trial. I compare him to Mikey Lopez not in terms of their play style, but the value that he can bring to this team at his currently salary rate. If he finds a way to make the team and carve a role for himself on this team, it would solid move by the FO.

I like the direction this team is headed. I like the youth in this team, however, my concern is that this team may be too young. A player like Farfan, who has been in the league for awhile and would be one of our older players, could be a solid leader for our team as well.

For the individuals who are getting increasingly frustrated by our off-season, what the FO is currently building in front of us is our team's foundation and identity. The foundation must be built and developed first before we add the frosting to the top. If I were building a team, I would have the DPs complement the foundation, not the foundation be built around the DPs.

The frosting will come. Let the cake bake first.

With all of this discussion about Mix I feel like people are missing a rather key and salient point.

Who says we get our GAM back if we buy out Mix's contract? No, really. I checked the current version of the MLS salary cap rules and the older one, no where did it say what happens to GAM if you buy out a player who's being bought down with it. We're all just assuming that we'd get it back.

In both the version posted on the MLS website and the actual 84 page CBA, no where does it mention what happens to a team's allocation money when a team buys out a player contract. We have to give the union 48 hrs notice and pay him the guaranteed money, but I'm not entirely sure we get the allocation $ back.

Food for thought.

Reactions: Kjbert
Farfan is an interesting player to bring in for trial. I compare him to Mikey Lopez not in terms of their play style, but the value that he can bring to this team at his currently salary rate. If he finds a way to make the team and carve a role for himself on this team, it would solid move by the FO.

I like the direction this team is headed. I like the youth in this team, however, my concern is that this team may be too young. A player like Farfan, who has been in the league for awhile and would be one of our older players, could be a solid leader for our team as well.

For the individuals who are getting increasingly frustrated by our off-season, what the FO is currently building in front of us is our team's foundation and identity. The foundation must be built and developed first before we add the frosting to the top. If I were building a team, I would have the DPs complement the foundation, not the foundation be built around the DPs.

The frosting will come. Let the cake bake first.
Fair points. I actually would do the opposite, but that means utilizing a different dp strategy than we have so far.

Point is, the current approach is a grab bag and not inspiring confidence that we're progressing toward a roster that reflects either strategy very effectively.

With all of this discussion about Mix I feel like people are missing a rather key and salient point.

Who says we get our GAM back if we buy out Mix's contract? No, really. I checked the current version of the MLS salary cap rules and the older one, no where did it say what happens to GAM if you buy out a player who's being bought down with it. We're all just assuming that we'd get it back.

In both the version posted on the MLS website and the actual 84 page CBA, no where does it mention what happens to a team's allocation money when a team buys out a player contract. We have to give the union 48 hrs notice and pay him the guaranteed money, but I'm not entirely sure we get the allocation $ back.

Food for thought.

Nice thought. What about this: Is GAM or TAM spent at once for the entirety of the K? Or is it used pro rata at the beginning of each league year? If thae later the case and Ks don't vest each year till the player is invited to camp, well there you go. Of course everything I mentioned is purely speculation as I don't have any special access to the MLS rules as the next guy. But that's what we do here, right?

Food for thought.

who says MLS rules are final? like it happened couple years ago MLS "added" rules literally in the middle of the season so Galaxy could get who they wanted.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...our-guide-eastern-conference-preseason-begins

In this episode, they do a preview of every Eastern Conference team in terms of their roster.

It seems that every time NYCFC roster is talked about it's been that we need a CB. We have invested a lot of money in Chanot and Brillant and they've only worked together for half a season without any significant time to get their chemistry together.

Obviously having a better goalkeeper organize the defense helps. And having a preseason and the time to train together helps.

Though we need a backup. But do we need a starting CB?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...our-guide-eastern-conference-preseason-begins

In this episode, they do a preview of every Eastern Conference team in terms of their roster.

It seems that every time NYCFC roster is talked about it's been that we need a CB. We have invested a lot of money in Chanot and Brillant and they've only worked together for half a season without any significant time to get their chemistry together.

Obviously having a better goalkeeper organize the defense helps. And having a preseason and the time to train together helps.

I don't think we need a new starting CB, Chanot and Brillant have the skills to be a very good CB pair with time and a better defense in front of them. Unfortunately MLS analysts are lazy and calling out our CBs based on our goals against last year while ignoring the lack of defense that played in front of them is an easy target. Hopefully we shut them up this year.

Great post. If we decide to play 3 in the back, as we did with Iraola to finish the season, then yes.

This may sound even more crazy than Etihad Island...

If Mix wants to stay in New York, would he take a transfer to the Cosmos? And how would breaking his contract or dealing with the remaining salary work when he's sent to another league?

This may sound even more crazy than Etihad Island...

If Mix wants to stay in New York, would he take a transfer to the Cosmos? And how would breaking his contract or dealing with the remaining salary work when he's sent to another league?
I suspect that he has bad memories of the Cosmos.

I suspect that he has bad memories of the Cosmos.

If you can't beat em, join em.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH

Food for thought.

The cost of a buyout gets charged to a team's salary budget with one exception: you get one off-season buyout a year that does not get counted. The assumption is that we will use it for Mix unless we can deal him with his contract, in which case we will use it on Josh.

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski