2017 Roster Discussion

Yeah, it was discussed on here (probably in one of the locked Offseason Threads) in mid December. NYCFCfan NYCFCfan wrote about it as well. I think that our consensus was that it was probably agent games. I guess where there's smoke . . . .

http://thenycfcnation.com/2016/12/e...to-nycfc-aik-sporting-director-denies-rumors/
dannd23 Ofori?

AIK director first denied rumors clubs were interested in him. NYC, LA and an Israeli team were the ones named. About a week afterwards, his agent confirmed the interest from the Israeli team and said AIK were working on a deal, that was scrapped by Ofori himself who didn't want to play is Israel.

Latest I've heard publicly is that they were going to work on re-signing him. I've heard links to Rangers and NYCFC.

I've been told though that the team hasn't said anything new about it and I've yet to hear back from the team officially. My guess is he's going to be sold it's just a matter of figuring out who gets him.

dannd23 Ofori?

AIK director first denied rumors clubs were interested in him. NYC, LA and an Israeli team were the ones named. About a week afterwards, his agent confirmed the interest from the Israeli team and said AIK were working on a deal, that was scrapped by Ofori himself who didn't want to play is Israel.

Latest I've heard publicly is that they were going to work on re-signing him. I've heard links to Rangers and NYCFC.

I've been told though that the team hasn't said anything new about it and I've yet to hear back from the team officially. My guess is he's going to be sold it's just a matter of figuring out who gets him.

FWIW, the rumor on the Rangers forums appears to be he would sign a pre-contract with them and finish the year at AIK, moving to Scotland in the summer.

Double FWIW, if we are willing to pay a fee to AIK now, we could snipe him from Rangers and get him in February.

All that assuming any of these rumors have any truth to them.

Sweden doesn't operate on the same schedule we do? I thought all of Scandinavia was on the same calendar.

Regarding Callens and our backline. Why has most of the conversation been about the potential for this to move us to a more standard 3 CB set? That puts us right back where we are now - with good starters and no good backups in case of injury. Why wouldn't we see this as stronger competition for starting minutes in the same 4-3-3 that we played most of last year? Good chance our starting backline then includes Chanot and Callens with Brillant on the bench.

Regarding Callens and our backline. Why has most of the conversation been about the potential for this to move us to a more standard 3 CB set? That puts us right back where we are now - with good starters and no good backups in case of injury. Why wouldn't we see this as stronger competition for starting minutes in the same 4-3-3 that we played most of last year? Good chance our starting backline then includes Chanot and Callens with Brillant on the bench.
Good point, and I had this thought, myself. But I answered it in my own mind by considering our lack of midfilelders. I think that's why everyone is going in that direction. But you're right. I'd love for Callens to be good enough to bump Brillant.

Good point, and I had this thought, myself. But I answered it in my own mind by considering our lack of midfilelders. I think that's why everyone is going in that direction. But you're right. I'd love for Callens to be good enough to bump Brillant.
Supplanting Mikey Lopez from the starting lineup does more than adding any player could, so that is the most obvious initial reaction.

Unless PV believes that Chanot or Callens will not play CB this year. Maybe RJ Allen is at risk of losing his job. Maybe one of these guys partners with Pirlo in the Iraola role.

Last winter, Bravo played as a CB in an exhibition match.

Reactions: adam
Unless PV believes that Chanot or Callens will not play CB this year. Maybe RJ Allen is at risk of losing his job. Maybe one of these guys partners with Pirlo in the Iraola role.

Last winter, Bravo played as a CB in an exhibition match.

I thought Bravo did well for us at CB in that match.

Reactions: Kjbert

Yeah, I had been assuming he'd be a starting level guy, so we'd end up 3 across the back. Today, I've been listening to the new Soccer In the City pod, and the impression I get is that he is for depth - maybe in front of Brillant, but most likely the first option off the bench (which is a guy who will see the field a lot).

So Sami Khedira is out of the picture. Keisuke Honda step right up!

Says who?

This?

When has Vieira ever said who he's interested in. I've never seen a quote about potential players with names from him. And I think it's football rules you can't comment on acquisitions of players still under contract. He's not going to say no comment so it's just say no.

Says who?

This?

When has Vieira ever said who he's interested in. I've never seen a quote about potential players with names from him. And I think it's football rules you can't comment on acquisitions of players still under contract. He's not going to say no comment so it's just say no.
Nuances.... not one of the players, but the player.

Vieira can carefully deny a particular statement/situation without lying. And then again, Khedira may very well not be in our plans.

Reactions: Kjbert