2017 Roster Discussion

I don't think we need a new starting CB, Chanot and Brillant have the skills to be a very good CB pair with time and a better defense in front of them. Unfortunately MLS analysts are lazy and calling out our CBs based on our goals against last year while ignoring the lack of defense that played in front of them is an easy target. Hopefully we shut them up this year.
I think this is spot on. I think our starting back line as it stands today is good enough to be league average if it is supported properly. Johnson replacing Saunders is part of that. Getting a real 6 in front of them is another other part of the equation. The final piece is being thoughtful about how aggressively we push the FBs up.

I think Chanot is capable of being an above average CB based on what we've seen so far. Brillant is a bit more limited, but is strong the air and generally seems to know what he is doing. He suffers, sometimes, from lack of athleticism, and that gets exposed when he is left one on one. But, if we are tighter as a whole, I think his weaknesses get masked.

I do think we need a real third CB, but I'm not worried about the starters.

I think this is spot on. I think our starting back line as it stands today is good enough to be league average if it is supported properly. Johnson replacing Saunders is part of that. Getting a real 6 in front of them is another other part of the equation. The final piece is being thoughtful about how aggressively we push the FBs up.

I think Chanot is capable of being an above average CB based on what we've seen so far. Brillant is a bit more limited, but is strong the air and generally seems to know what he is doing. He suffers, sometimes, from lack of athleticism, and that gets exposed when he is left one on one. But, if we are tighter as a whole, I think his weaknesses get masked.

I do think we need a real third CB, but I'm not worried about the starters.

I agree with this.

It is worth noting that we really haven't played much at all with our projected starting back 4 as a unit. There are only 3 games in which all 4 of those guys started: the last regular season game against Columbus and the two playoff games, and the first two of those were with a back 3 that included Iraola.

Now, while the results of the last two games weren't very good, there were other things going on with the roster and the way the playoffs were rolling out that make them questionable precedents for the future.

Hey I said my money was on Ofori in the other thread.

Do we have an international spot?

We have 9 spots currently (1 expires at the end of this season).

Current Internationals: Brillant, Camargo, Chanot, Harrison, Johansen, Matarrita, Pirlo, Villa.

So, we have 8 internationals and 9 spots, so we do have a free one. But we need to save one for Khedira.

Come on Jack and Eirik, get your damn green cards.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
If the team was super concerned about the ability to acquire an international spot, Eirik wouldn't be on this team.

If they're not worried, I'm not worried.
Jack and EiJo I believe will become domestic players once their green cards go through as well. In the new transparent era, I wouldnt mind knowing what an international slot goes for.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Jack and EiJo I believe will become domestic players once their green cards go through as well. In the new transparent era, I wouldnt mind knowing what an international slot goes for.

Will just take one trade to find out.

Reactions: Kjbert
Reactions: JayH
His name was definitely mentioned but I don't think more than once. Was a little surprised when his name reemerged this week . I can't remember if it was him or the guy from Denmark but their club said there had been zero inquiries
Yeah, it was discussed on here (probably in one of the locked Offseason Threads) in mid December. NYCFCfan NYCFCfan wrote about it as well. I think that our consensus was that it was probably agent games. I guess where there's smoke . . . .

http://thenycfcnation.com/2016/12/e...to-nycfc-aik-sporting-director-denies-rumors/

Reactions: adam