2017 Roster Discussion

This quote leads me to believe that if we have our one buyout option, it'll be utilized on Saunders' contract. I won't be surprised if we see a "NYCFC and Saunders mutually part ways" announcement in the near future.

This could be an agreement with the team and Mix. Not partaking in preseason minimizes the likelihood of picking up a training injury and gives him the opportunity to speak with other teams in Norway.

Says who?

This?

When has Vieira ever said who he's interested in. I've never seen a quote about potential players with names from him. And I think it's football rules you can't comment on acquisitions of players still under contract. He's not going to say no comment so it's just say no.
He said they're in discussion with Callens and said there is nothing to discuss further with Khedira.

Reactions: Kjbert
They sound really high on Gomez, and haven't made any attempt to strengthen the RB position.

Over/under on games started by RJ Allen at RB this year: 14

Discuss
I'd probably go over and project more like 18-19, though I don't disagree with the premise that Gomez could have a real role. It could also turn on whether Allen is the LB again when Matarrita is away. Hopefully not, though it may turn on whether Awuah can fill that role.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I also agree with under. Allen is a versatile player and will be used as a plug-in player on a week-to-week basis, either with starts ape coming off the bench. I hope Gomez impresses and grabs the RB position. The pace we will have on our wings will be hard to defend against.

Really surprised about the comment on Mix.

Wonder if maybe the one time buyout thing isn't true.
Like the rule existing? Or what part?

ETA: the rule definitely exists
(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT
A club may buy out one player who has a Guaranteed Contract (including a DP’s) during the offseason and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the MLS club’s expense.

A club may not free up room in the salary budget with a buyout of a player’s contract during the season. In the case a team buys out a player’s contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club’s salary budget.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
They sound really high on Gomez, and haven't made any attempt to strengthen the RB position.

Discuss

Under. Last year he only started at RB 12 times. He was at LB 9 times, and came off the bench 5 times.

He gets pulled from the lineup when we play a third CB. That will keep his playing time down, plus Vieira's willingness to move him to LB and maybe CDM when needed.

Says who?

This?

When has Vieira ever said who he's interested in. I've never seen a quote about potential players with names from him. And I think it's football rules you can't comment on acquisitions of players still under contract. He's not going to say no comment so it's just say no.

I think it's fair game to deny you're interested in someone. Announcing your intention to buy another team's player is another story.

Assuming that report is accurate (it'd be one hell of a report to get wrong), I'm even more intrigued by what PV has planned for this team. Looking more and more likely that we're all way off.

Discuss

Under. I will go so far as to say he becomes a punching bag like Mikey Lopez. Enjoy him for what he is. A serviceable jackknife willing to put in a shift on a cheap contract.

I'm very high on Gomez. Teach the kid how to defend. That's something that can be taught. The speed can't.

"According to multiple sources at other clubs, NYCFC have tried to trade Diskerud, but two factors – his high salary and his apparent unwillingness to move elsewhere in the league – have prevented talks from seriously progressing.

Diskerud’s salary, pegged at $761,250 in 2016 by the MLS Players’ Union, is the biggest hurdle. Other MLS clubs don’t value Diskerud at that number, and don’t want to use a Designated Player spot on him or spend the significant amount of allocation money it’d take to buy his salary budget charge down under the DP threshold, which is what New York did in the previous two seasons. NYCFC, meanwhile, aren’t interested in having his cap number hit on their books, and don’t want to eat his salary just to move him to another MLS team.

Sources indicated that, barring something unforeseen, Diskerud will likely be sold or loaned outside of MLS. Norway, where Diskerud was born and raised and where he played until joining NYCFC ahead of the 2015 season, would seem a natural destination."

Stejskal: Where's Mix?

There's more but that's the bulk of the main, and somewhat new, information.