2017 Roster Discussion

Interesting quote from the end of the PV article posted today. Seems to imply that they see Jack as a winger not as a CAM as other rumors have indicated:

Jonathan is for me a proper winger – especially the way we want to play, he can really express his talent,” Vieira said.

“Between college and MLS is a massive gap which he will need to adjust himself – to improve, to learn. I will have to be patient with him.

With the way he’s been working in the last few weeks, he’ll challenge Khiry and Jack and any other player who can play in that position. He’s not shy, he has self-confidence which I like.”

Interesting quote from the end of the PV article posted today. Seems to imply that they see Jack as a winger not as a CAM as other rumors have indicated:

Jonathan is for me a proper winger – especially the way we want to play, he can really express his talent,” Vieira said.

“Between college and MLS is a massive gap which he will need to adjust himself – to improve, to learn. I will have to be patient with him.

With the way he’s been working in the last few weeks, he’ll challenge Khiry and Jack and any other player who can play in that position. He’s not shy, he has self-confidence which I like.”

Jon Left, Jack Right

Sharp observation.

I think it's less a question of whether that's Jack's best position or not – seems like it's his preferred position and he's definitely shown promise centrally – and more about who else could play on the wing as effectively and who else we can find to slot centrally.

Positive spin – PV is extremely confident we'll sign a game changing CM.

Negative spin – PV thinks Mikey is the truth.

I read that "and Jack and any other player who can play in that position" as not being limiting. Unless you mean where he's playing this year, and even then, not so limiting.

I definitely don't think it means anything from a permanent perspective.

McNamara at CAM then. I don't think he has the touch required to move the ball up the field BUT he's the closest thing this team has to a poacher now that Lampard is gone.

I think Tommy could score 10+ goals this year from a CAM position.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Jon Left, Jack Right
I think this may depend. I won't pretend to know a whole ton about Lewis, but I feel like in the highlight videos I've seen he's been getting forward on the right wing and crossing into the box.

I know PV has liked Jack out on the right, cutting into his left foot, but I could also potentially see Jack on the left if he plays LW somewhat similar to TMac in that he cuts in behind Villa and allows him to be more creative. Lets also not forget that Jack has put in some solid service from the left (cross to Khiry against Dallas).

I think this may depend. I won't pretend to know a whole ton about Lewis, but I feel like in the highlight videos I've seen he's been getting forward on the right wing and crossing into the box.QUOTE]
From one of his interviews, I think Lewis said he played RW at Akron, but more naturally considers himself a right-footed LW. If he is actually starting opposite Harrison, feels like a situation that would be somewhat fluid depending on whether you wanted inverted wingers or to be able to stretch the field horizontally with both guys playing on their "natural" side. I suspect we'd see a fair bit of both.

Matt Doyle's projected lineup for NYCFC as of now.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/26/armchair-analyst-22-teams-22-starting-lineups-now
NYCFC-3.png

No Brillant is interesting. Also Lewis starting immediately is interesting too as Vieira said he has to grow from the college game to MLS.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/26/armchair-analyst-22-teams-22-starting-lineups-now
NYCFC-3.png

No Brillant is interesting. Also Lewis starting immediately is interesting too as Vieira said he has to grow from the college game to MLS.

Another instance where Doyle proves he has no clue what he's talking about. And when your article is about what their current starting lineup would be, don't cop out and insert "NEW DP", actually look at a lineup and figure it out. We all know RJ or Chanot can move to 6 and then put Brilliant back in. It's not that hard.

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert
NYCFC-3.png

If Lewis is playing on the U-20s this spring, he will be away from the team more often than he's with the team. And he'll be brought on slowly. I would put the over/under for Lewis appearances at 16, and starts at about 10.

Another instance where Doyle proves he has no clue what he's talking about. And when your article is about what their current starting lineup would be, don't cop out and insert "NEW DP", actually look at a lineup and figure it out. We all know RJ or Chanot can move to 6 and then put Brilliant back in. It's not that hard.
Haha, I thought it was a good estimate, and was going to credit him for getting pretty close despite following all of MLS.

NYCFC Depth Chart

Depth Chart
Forward/Winger: Villa, Shelton, Okoli
Winger/Attacking Mid: McNamara, Harrison, Camargo, Lewis
Central Mid: Pirlo, Lopez, [Mix?]
Left Back: Matarrita
Center Back: Chanot, Brillant, Callens, White, [Brandt?]
Right Back: Allen, Gomez
Goalkeeper: Johnson, Johansen, Rawls

Unsigned Draft Picks: K. Awuah (M), M. Degraffenriedt (D), J. Brown (F), C. Wingate (M)
Trialists: B. Sweat (D), M. Farfan (M), J. Stertzer (M), R. Louima (F)

FWIW, as of 2:36 pm:

Saunders is already off the team roster page
Callens is already on the team roster page
Mix is still on the team roster page.

Both transactions are on the league transaction page as well (which seems to be missing some of our other additions)

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Excluding Mix, Brandt, the unsigned draft picks, and the trialists, we have 19 players. Here are some thoughts on need.

1 Attacker - either a Forward who can play winger, or a Winger/Attacking Mid - reserve quality
2-3 Central Midfielders - 1 DP, 1 starter quality, maybe 1 reserve quality
1 Left Back - good reserve quality
1-2 Center Backs - reserve quality
1 Utility Defender (can play CB or FB) - reserve quality

FWIW, as of 2:36 pm:

Saunders is already off the team roster page
Callens is already on the team roster page
Mix is still on the team roster page.

Both transactions are on the league transaction page as well (which seems to be missing some of our other additions)
1*0pYv6OAqLDXh9V7b6yBciQ.jpeg

NYCFC Depth Chart

Depth Chart
Forward/Winger: Villa, Shelton, Okoli
Winger/Attacking Mid: McNamara, Harrison, Camargo, Lewis
Central Mid: Pirlo, Lopez, [Mix?]
Left Back: Matarrita
Center Back: Chanot, Brillant, Callens, White, [Brandt?]
Right Back: Allen, Gomez
Goalkeeper: Johnson, Johansen, Rawls

Unsigned Draft Picks: K. Awuah (M), M. Degraffenriedt (D), J. Brown (F), C. Wingate (M)
Trialists: B. Sweat (D), M. Farfan (M), J. Stertzer (M), R. Louima (F)

Isn't Sands with the team right now? And with Mikey injured, we have no depth behind Pirlo for central mid? That's leaving us pretty exposed considering his age and injury history.

Reactions: Kjbert