2017 Roster Discussion

Lopez back in training.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nycfcs-lopez-returns-to-full-training-59421/

Also, Herrera went for 31 minutes off the bench for Venezuela in a 2-2 draw with Peru. This is important as appearances with the national team are the easiest way for him to get a work permit in England and join Man City.
I like what I've seen so far. With that said it wouldn't surprise me if he transfers back to Man City in the summer and frees up a intl spot and we get our 3rd DP

Reactions: Kjbert
I like what I've seen so far. With that said it wouldn't surprise me if he transfers back to Man City in the summer and frees up a intl spot and we get our 3rd DP

Don't think there's anyway he qualifies for a work permit by this summer, he'd need serious national team action to even be eligible by next summer. Also, I think we still have one more open international spot so ideally we can get DP3 without any player movement the only barrier seems to be the possibility of getting Maxi down to a TAM level player.

Don't think there's anyway he qualifies for a work permit by this summer, he'd need serious national team action to even be eligible by next summer. Also, I think we still have one more open international spot so ideally we can get DP3 without any player movement the only barrier seems to be the possibility of getting Maxi down to a TAM level player.

From a technical standpoint MLS removed the $1mm individual player restriction on TAM/GAM buydowns and allocated $1.2mm of TAM and additional GAM to every team this year. Also the funky restriction on using TAM and GAM on the same player, which only existed last year, was removed as well. There's also additional allocation monies allocated to teams due to expansion teams this year, though I don't think that particular set of money needs to be publically disclosed, though the CBA contract says every team gets at least $50k in GAM in an expansion year.

Long story short, assuming we got the allocation $ back from the Mix fiasco, which every sign points to, there is a real chance we could buy down a pretty large Maxi contract, possibly even into the $1.5mm range, depending on how the contract is structured and how much cap relief we needed to use on other players like Ring and Herrera.

I really would like to sit down and talk this out with one of you lawyer types like mgarbowski mgarbowski or Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan. My readings of contract law tend to be slightly off, though apparently I do reasonably well for someone who's never taken a law class.

Reactions: gbservis and Paul
Also, Herrera went for 31 minutes off the bench for Venezuela in a 2-2 draw with Peru. This is important as appearances with the national team are the easiest way for him to get a work permit in England and join Man City.

The rules for a work permit are that you have to play 75% of your international team's matches over the past two years. Since he's only got two caps so far, that means he's basically at least a year and a half from a work permit, so the only reason he'd leave in the summer is to go out on loan somewhere else.

Also, Venezuela are currently ranked 59th, and after the change to the work permit rules, only players from one of the FIFA top 50 countries are even eligible at all. That is, unless a club uses the "exceptional talent" clause, which to be frank 99% of all players in the Premier League use instead of the base rule.

The rules for a work permit are that you have to play 75% of your international team's matches over the past two years. Since he's only got two caps so far, that means he's basically at least a year and a half from a work permit, so the only reason he'd leave in the summer is to go out on loan somewhere else.

Also, Venezuela are currently ranked 59th, and after the change to the work permit rules, only players from one of the FIFA top 50 countries are even eligible at all. That is, unless a club uses the "exceptional talent" clause, which to be frank 99% of all players in the Premier League use instead of the base rule.
Haven't they cracked down on the exceptional talent clause? I think that was what Agudelo was counting on, and then the board (whatever it's called) changed their nebulous "exceptional talent" stance to be more restrictive.

From a technical standpoint MLS removed the $1mm individual player restriction on TAM/GAM buydowns and allocated $1.2mm of TAM and additional GAM to every team this year. Also the funky restriction on using TAM and GAM on the same player, which only existed last year, was removed as well. There's also additional allocation monies allocated to teams due to expansion teams this year, though I don't think that particular set of money needs to be publically disclosed, though the CBA contract says every team gets at least $50k in GAM in an expansion year.

Long story short, assuming we got the allocation $ back from the Mix fiasco, which every sign points to, there is a real chance we could buy down a pretty large Maxi contract, possibly even into the $1.5mm range, depending on how the contract is structured and how much cap relief we needed to use on other players like Ring and Herrera.

I really would like to sit down and talk this out with one of you lawyer types like mgarbowski mgarbowski or Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan. My readings of contract law tend to be slightly off, though apparently I do reasonably well for someone who's never taken a law class.
You still cannot use TAM and GAM on same player in a single season.

We are also using TAM on Chanot.

Haven't they cracked down on the exceptional talent clause? I think that was what Agudelo was counting on, and then the board (whatever it's called) changed their nebulous "exceptional talent" stance to be more restrictive.

Actually, I think I recall that you're right - I thought at first I only remembered the tightening of the international caps requirement. I found a website which describes the new procedure (here) which indicates that the exceptional talent clause is pretty much only going to be viable now for first team starters, so I guess that Herrera wouldn't qualify under it after all.

I'm confused...Yangel isn't here as a DP, isn't he just on loan?
Moralez is our 3rd DP. There is speculation, hope, wishcasting, that this is temporary and we can buy his salary down below DP level with GAM/TAM this summer. There is limited evidence to support or refute this speculation.