2018 General MLS Transfer Rumors

I do appreciate that the narrative for MLS clearly has changed. The lead-in for every story about a Rooney or Torres coming to the states now starts with a line about how signing an aging star is no longer the blueprint for success but a one off (or misguided approach), etc. That is a helpful presentation aesthetically.

Teams are still going to do it because they have ulterior motives (marketing), are stubborn or lazy, or simply can’t pass on some potential upside, but it has become a talking point as the exception.

If it wasn't for the fact that they're paying 16,000,000 POUNDS for him I'd say this is good for DC. He's only 32 and he should bring in a lot of EPL fans.
I actually think he will be solid. But that feels like crazy money.

Reactions: JayH
When perusing the MLS salary data, I noted that DCU doesn't have a single DP - at least not one that couldn't be converted to TAM.

So, they might as well go balls out for Rooney, because they can still go out and get a couple of S. American studs on top of that.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
When perusing the MLS salary data, I noted that DCU doesn't have a single DP - at least not one that couldn't be converted to TAM.

So, they might as well go balls out for Rooney, because they can still go out and get a couple of S. American studs on top of that.
Except Rooney has been awful. Go balls out for someone else. Not someone who hasn't scored since September and completely looks the old-man part.

As they said on SITC, Zlatan at 36 looks miles younger than Rooney at 32.

Agreed. If you remove the name and take the fact that he is 32, played for one of the best clubs in the world two years ago, and had double digit goals in the prem, it’s hard to knock it. But it’s rooney and he has 200,000 miles on him. He’ll give a few decent years, but it’s a testament to how competitive the league is that I don’t expect him to shine.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I can't wait for the endless debates about which position Rooney should play for DC.
Why wait then? Would see him occupying a similar position to Acosta if Acosta wasn't there already. But I think they are two smart, technically solid players to try and link. So maybe have Rooney playing just behind Acosta and arriving late into the space that he creates and then distributing or shooting on goal from there.

If you’re going to sign a sorry shell of a player that is grasping at some of the past skills, he has to play a second striker role.

Essentially, he can be a Lampard. Never come into his own half. Unable to run. Hardly ever fit to play. Will knock a few in, but won’t change DCU from being a shit team.