2018 Roster Discussion

I heard earlier today to expect the announcement of a new Homegrown player as soon as this week. Out of respect for the source, I won't say the name only that he is a defensive player.
Has to be shaver I'd guess.

eta: didn't take long for that to get blown up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
The child labor laws are strict in NY state.

Aha, now the FIFA “Just trust us with all your labor laws” play makes sense. It’s some 12 dimensional backgammon to get us more defensive depth!

giphy.gif

He is 15 years old RB. Interesting that we signed him this young (path for Reyna maybe?). He is going to start training after the school year ends and will be a part of the GA Cup. Is he just really talented, or is RB depth an issue, would have felt better if we signed another LB due to matta's injury. Hopefully, this kid is happy just being with the 1st team because he is not going to get ANY playing time with our two studs at RB right now.

He is 15 years old RB. Interesting that we signed him this young (path for Reyna maybe?). He is going to start training after the school year ends and will be a part of the GA Cup. Is he just really talented, or is RB depth an issue, would have felt better if we signed another LB due to matta's injury. Hopefully, this kid is happy just being with the 1st team because he is not going to get ANY playing time with our two studs at RB right now.
Seems to me it's more of a signing to change the methodology and culture to a more traditional club for future continued success. So that when he is 20 (if not earlier), he's ready to play unlike a Lewis as Vieira has suggested.

He's still eligible to play in academy games. Atlanta does this with their HGP all the time.

It’s nice that James has a friend now on the first team roster.

That being said, it’s great we signed another homegrown player but I don’t think he plays more than 10 minutes this season. And I don’t think James plays more than 100 Minutes this season. It’s not because we don’t play the kids, it’s because we have players above them on the depth chart and depth ahead of them.

It’s nice that James has a friend now on the first team roster.

That being said, it’s great we signed another homegrown player but I don’t think he plays more than 10 minutes this season. And I don’t think James plays more than 100 Minutes this season. It’s not because we don’t play the kids, it’s because we have players above them on the depth chart and depth ahead of them.
Seems like the play is to stock the cupboards with guys young enough to apprentice under the veterans by getting 1-3years of dedicated practice time with them before having to step up and earn minutes.

Sands has the opportunity to learn from Callens & Chanot (CB) and Ring (DMid) while defending guys like Villa and Medina. Scully will get to learn from Tinny and SAS while defending against Medina, Wallace, the Viking, and a slew of attacking FBs (Tinny, Mata if repaired, and yes, even Sweat).

I’d be surprised if we also don’t try to soon sign one of our midfielders like Justin Haak. No idea if he’s planning to go to college, but the kid is ready for pro soccer considering his technical ability on the ball and he showed well during the preseason. He’d really benefit from day in/day out training with Maxi, Medina, Ring, and Villa - we all think about Reyna being the prized-jewel of the academy, which he is, but Haak is also one that is definitely a perfect fit for the style NYCFC is implementing.