2021 Roster Discussion

Hmmm.... I have no idea. I'm inclined to go the moogoo way, but I'm gonna go on a limb and call 4 signings within the next 10 days.
Because fuck it, why not. This year's been awful soccer-wise so I might as well just throw out my craziest predictions.
I am rooting for you! And the beer offer stands even if you are off by 4.

• Haha
Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Pato apparently rejected a budget friendly, non-DP offer from Orlando City. I wouldn't mind if we were targeting players like him at CF - great pedigree, just no longer top tier quality for whatever reason and still right around 30. He's kind of an Heber clone. And unless I missed any news, Sturridge is probably in that same boat and just sitting around dreaming of the calls that won't come (but maybe more expensive). I note that I am suggesting that these would be IN ADDITION to DP type quality signings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Why are we holding the timetable to the next 10 days? Training camp doesn't even begin until early March, and the season on April 17. We have more than two months to get signings in for the start of the season. All available evidence suggests they are bringing in multiple new players. I think we are all getting antsy because in a normal offseason we're already playing preseason games by now. But that's not where we are -- training camp hasn't even begun yet. After they pushed back the start of the season to April 17, we are basically at the equivalent of early January in a normal offseason.

Pato apparently rejected a budget friendly, non-DP offer from Orlando City. I wouldn't mind if we were targeting players like him at CF - great pedigree, just no longer top tier quality for whatever reason and still right around 30. He's kind of an Heber clone. And unless I missed any news, Sturridge is probably in that same boat and just sitting around dreaming of the calls that won't come (but maybe more expensive). I note that I am suggesting that these would be IN ADDITION to DP type quality signings.

i'd be happy with Pato coming on as a high TAM signing. I'm not a sturridge fan though. There's a reason he's barely played much in the last 5 years

i'd be happy with Pato coming on as a high TAM signing. I'm not a sturridge fan though. There's a reason he's barely played much in the last 5 years
Yeah, I don't love Sturridge either other than as an upside reclamation project.

All available evidence suggests they are bringing in multiple new players.
What is all of the available evidence other than the fact of the exodus and the resulting holes in the roster (and one quote)? There is no magic to 10 days - it's just a combination of boredom, and snow, and a dearth of the fun of rumors and glitchy highlight compilations, and lack of banter material, and track record, and typical city, and fear, etc. Give us more fodder already.

Yeah, I don't love Sturridge either other than as an upside reclamation project.

like what we tried to do with Gideon? see how that turned out.. lol and sturridge would demand much more money.

like what we tried to do with Gideon? see how that turned out.. lol and sturridge would demand much more money.
I won't fight for Sturridge because I don't love him at all, but this is apples and oranges - Sturridge is a guy who had a MV of close to 30 million at one point and Zelalem probably sniffed 300K.

Why are we holding the timetable to the next 10 days? Training camp doesn't even begin until early March, and the season on April 17. We have more than two months to get signings in for the start of the season. All available evidence suggests they are bringing in multiple new players. I think we are all getting antsy because in a normal offseason we're already playing preseason games by now. But that's not where we are -- training camp hasn't even begun yet. After they pushed back the start of the season to April 17, we are basically at the equivalent of early January in a normal offseason.
What is all of the available evidence other than the fact of the exodus and the resulting holes in the roster (and one quote)? There is no magic to 10 days - it's just a combination of boredom, and snow, and a dearth of the fun of rumors and glitchy highlight compilations, and lack of banter material, and track record, and typical city, and fear, etc. Give us more fodder already.
Well shit, 10 days was my mistake. I forgot they pushed out preseason start date. I quoted David Lee saying "bringing in more players before training camp" thinking it meant in the next 10 days, when, in fact, it looks more like it means march 1st.

Reactions: ZYanksRule
Well shit, 10 days was my mistake. I forgot they pushed out preseason start date. I quoted David Lee saying "bringing in more players before training camp" thinking it meant in the next 10 days, when, in fact, it looks more like it means march 1st.
sorry sir, your wager is locked in at 10 days :)

At the start of the offseason, David Lee says there would be lots of turnover -- specifically said both outgoing and incoming. He said there would be more signings in the quotes they released today. And the idea that they would just cut all these major pieces without signing multiple new pieces strains credulity for an organization that has had one of the most consistently solid rosters in MLS during regular season play over the last five seasons.

im confused is this the new "young DP" rules i keep hearing about? so you can have three regular DP's and then three of these "young DP's? potentially total of 6?

I think it sounds like you can grab these players for an unlimited transfer fee, but their salary can't be higher than the max charge. So they would have the salary of TAM players no matter how high the transfer fee.

Reactions: Kjbert
Looks like they got him.

Reactions: Kjbert