2021 Roster Discussion

The Ring trade feels similar to LAFC trading Walker Zimmerman to Nashville:
  • Zimmerman: LAFC received $600,000 GAM in 2020, $350,000 GAM in 2021, int'l spot, and some incentives-based increases up to $150,000 GAM in both 2020 and 2021 for a possible total of $1.5 million
  • Ring: $750,000 GAM now, $500,000 GAM in 2021 GAM, $250,000 GAM in 2022, and incentive-based increases up to $500,000 (unspecified)
I'm of the opinion that Nashville got the better of that trade this season. We'll see with Ring. The optics of trading your captain are strange -- thinking Red Bulls trading Dax as part of their re-build -- but maybe it will make sense as the roster is rebuilt/built out

Zimmerman is two years younger and plays a position - in MLS at least - that is more difficult to fill. Not dissimilar, but in my opinion Zimmerman should command more in trade assets.

Reactions: Kjbert
There was a glut in midfield. At the start of the season, the forum was up in arms at Ring playing wing. This changed later in the year, but the change in large part was due to injuries to Moralez and Sands, allowing Ring to return to his natural position.

Entering 2021 it was poor resource management in a salary cap league to have Sands/Acevedo/Ring (above an beyond Parks/Moralez/Medina). Something had to give. Many suspected it would be Sands to Europe, but with the pandemic and another injury, the expected offers may have been too low. Instead, it was the 30 year old midfielder that recently had another knee surgery.

Ring will always be one of NYCFC's great players and for fan reasons it is disappointing to see him leave. But, from a team standpoint - a team that has two DP' slots to fill - was moving Acevedo or Sands a better option? That is the question to ask and answer.
Yep, I liked Ring and don't like seeing him go, but this feels like its the best for this roster going forward.

Another question that comes along with this, is does this perhaps change our thoughts on how long the club wants to keep Sands around? Maybe he doesn't go to Europe so soon.

There was a glut in midfield. At the start of the season, the forum was up in arms at Ring playing wing. This changed later in the year, but the change in large part was due to injuries to Moralez and Sands, allowing Ring to return to his natural position.

Entering 2021 it was poor resource management in a salary cap league to have Sands/Acevedo/Ring (above an beyond Parks/Moralez/Medina). Something had to give. Many suspected it would be Sands to Europe, but with the pandemic and another injury, the expected offers may have been too low. Instead, it was the 30 year old midfielder that recently had another knee surgery.

Ring will always be one of NYCFC's great players and for fan reasons it is disappointing to see him leave. But, from a team standpoint - a team that has two DP' slots to fill - was moving Acevedo or Sands a better option? That is the question to ask and answer.

Yes. This is a shocking and tough move for them to make, but with all the midfielders, I don't think it was the wrong move. And again -- they've had four years with this group. It hasn't worked. It was time to refresh the roster.

Really interested in how much Ring is on board with this. Him and his wife just bought a house earlier this year.

He was getting emotional in his goodbye and if they bought a house, I can't imagine them wanting to go. This seems like a business decision by the club. I get that it makes sense positionally as they are putting their faith in the youth at the position, but to let go of the single seasoned d-mid and our captain is a hard pill to swallow. He always said in interviews how much his wife loved NYC.

Don't worry guys - we'll probably be bringing in a guy who's known as the Kazakh Messi.

The only active players that I have kits for now are Chanot (2018 kit) and Matarrita (2017 kit). I guess they'll be gone too this offseason if my theory holds. This is why all my kits now don't have players names on them.

The other thing to consider is Ring's $1m salary. So not only do we bring in a load of GAM to use, we free up a lot of salary space to use as well. In a position where we were quite deep.

Right. So I think this is about freeing up cap space for use in other areas of the field. We already have our D-mids, in Sands and Acevedo. I think this is about finding the right attacking pieces after the inconsistent season we just had when it comes to finishing.

Wonder what this also says about Ronny's style. I wouldn't call ring great at advancing the ball, and that might be part of it.

Hasn't there been a substantial (if not majority) opinion here this year that Ring has been slipping? Because I'm pretty sure that's the case but all the posts today seem to act is if we're as high on him as we were in 2017-2018. I love the guy. Hate to lose him. Up there for all time favorite NYCFC player. But I don't think this is all that odd. Unexpected, but makes a lot of sense, pending future moves.

Hasn't there been a substantial (if not majority) opinion here this year that Ring has been slipping? Because I'm pretty sure that's the case but all the posts today seem to act is if we're as high on him as we were in 2017-2018. I love the guy. Hate to lose him. Up there for all time favorite NYCFC player. But I don't think this is all that odd. Unexpected, but makes a lot of sense, pending future moves.
Adding to this to say and I've seen a lot of chatter (mostly on Twitter, don't think as much here) that this club needs an overhaul and many people listing very few players as "safe", none of which included Ring.

Hard to say he was slipping since he played many of the games out of his natural position. When he was back where he belonged, he shined and the team felt the added stability in the midfield. Something we were SORELY missing vs Tigres with Medina running around like a winger and Cacha simply too inexperienced to handle the pressure of a strong Tigres side.

I get the move for the club financially. But I'm not entirely convinced positionally. Yes, we have a lot of D-mids and this move shows that we are putting a lot of faith in our youth. I just hope that's not too shortsighted.

I just hope the club uses the money and roster space to go out and make some big splashes at the striker/wing and #10 position.

Hard to say he was slipping since he played many of the games out of his natural position. When he was back where he belonged, he shined and the team felt the added stability in the midfield. Something we were SORELY missing vs Tigres with Medina running around like a winger and Cacha simply too inexperienced to handle the pressure of a strong Tigres side.

I get the move for the club financially. But I'm not entirely convinced positionally. Yes, we have a lot of D-mids and this move shows that we are putting a lot of faith in our youth. I just hope that's not too shortsighted.

I just hope the club uses the money and roster space to go out and make some big splashes at the striker/wing and #10 position.
Maybe the club is ready for Haak to take a step into the first team?

Imagine this:
Sands, Haak, Jasson, Tayvon - a huge part of the success of our youth team - all playing together.

Maybe the club is ready for Haak to take a step into the first team?

Imagine this:
Sands, Haak, Jasson, Tayvon - a huge part of the success of our youth team - all playing together.

I can understand it. But playing in the youth academy leagues is a big difference to the first team. If they all get playing time going forward, it is just going to be a season where we have to accept the growing pains. I am ok with that to a point. I don't want to turn into the red bulls signing academy and USL players to fill the roster.

I see Jasson getting more playing time. Haak, not so much. I think he's still not high on the list yet. Gray might get more time if the club plans to move Chanot/Callens. But if that happens, does Ibby step in as the starter or does Gray?

A lot of questions this off season and there is not a lot of time until preseason. I am excited to see what happens, but it is an anxiety filled excitement.

with all the potential moves coming up this offseason....im basically like this now till the first day of season...

giphy.gif

Hasn't there been a substantial (if not majority) opinion here this year that Ring has been slipping?
I'm in that camp, but also with you on the rest of your post. I guess I figured that if the reason he was slipping was because of his knee issues, maybe the surgery would bring him back to 2017-18 form. But there's no guarantee on that. I don't have any specific examples off hand but did a quick search on the forums and found this Christopher Jee Christopher Jee comment reflecting on it from a June 2019 game against Columbus
I've been wondering if he's playing injured. The heavy strapping on his knee is a concern. And his passing, while never his strong point, is becoming depressing and was responsible for the second goal.
As one of my coworkers who is a fellow STH said to me just now: 'they better not be like the Knicks where we have tons of open cap space and then get nobody to fill it'

The only active players that I have kits for now are Chanot (2018 kit) and Matarrita (2017 kit). I guess they'll be gone too this offseason if my theory holds. This is why all my kits now don't have players names on them.
I got mix, villa, poku, sands, ring. Next one I get is tindy. Also want to find a grey Harrison or tindy.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
A move that had to be done. Haak now steps up. You still have Rocha.

Where else can this team reasonably improve? I think your GK is locked in. I think we have the best Fullback pairing in the league. I don’t see us bringing in a high profile midfielder this season. Sands Parks and Maxi start. Medina and Cacha back them up.

I think they would like to upgrade at CB. I think that’s where the Ring money goes.

And then we probably need to overhaul the entire front line. Our problem this season was goal scoring and the occSionL mistake from our back line.

Throwing this out there but I think Chanot and Tajouri-Shradi are the next to go.

Ring, Johnson and Callens all signed extension around the same time. Johnson and Callens must be in contracts talks as well. In an interview Johnson ( it was the podcast where he also mentions he thought he trained in NJ and not Orangeburg, NY) I beleive he said he thought his was salary was a little light , as he took a hometown discount when he signed it as he thought he was going to be in Atlanta.