CCL - April 13 - Seattle (RBA)

The fact there were no ball kids and the stretcher people looked like individuals they picked up from a Wawa of something in New Jersey speaks volumes of how unprofessional Concacaf is.

And when Garber says that PRO referees aren’t as bad as people think. I mean, they’re bad even with VAR. But the Concacaf-iness by Seattle was immense and the referee should have been giving a lot more time wasting yellows.

They finished their chances and we didn't. That's all that stood between the teams. Frustrating result, but proud of the effort like all of you.

note: I saw that Lion posted the xG already.

Luck and Stefan Frei got Seattle to the final.

I bet if you added up the combined xG from the two games, it’s probably about equal. Seattle scored four times and NYCFC scored once. Ugh.

Taty squares across to Magno and frei saves a point blank shot.

Was taty's pasa the right decision? Should he have shot himself? Should talles have given the ball a slight lift?

Who knows. But if that goes in, I think the game ends differently.

If the boys can bring that performance to other games, more often than not those goals will go in. Let's do it!

I confess to having gone to bed early not long after Seattle scored. Can someone point me to the general time of the Ruidiaz antics? Was it the last 15 minutes I presume?

FWIW the Reddit game thread's top comments are mostly Seattle fans acknowledging NYCFC gave them a great game and they were fortunate to escape, Seattle fans embarrassed by Ruidiaz, and NYCFC fans embarrassed by the bottle throwing. That was all nice to see.

I confess to having gone to bed early not long after Seattle scored. Can someone point me to the general time of the Ruidiaz antics? Was it the last 15 minutes I presume?

FWIW the Reddit game thread's top comments are mostly Seattle fans acknowledging NYCFC gave them a great game and they were fortunate to escape, Seattle fans embarrassed by Ruidiaz, and NYCFC fans embarrassed by the bottle throwing. That was all nice to see.
It was basically the whole second half. The stretcher came out for him on at least two occasions and any bit of contact he was going down to the ground and staying down for a while.

Schmetzer said postgame that they were lucky / Frei was incredible to get through. Frei also noted that they can't play that way in leg 1 in Mexico. They were very acknowledging of the quality NYCFC had last night.

Santi was the NYCFC player made available and he looked just defeated. That whole front line ran their fucking legs off starting from the opening whistle.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, I pointed this out on Twitter but probably hard to see on TV. The first two-three times the Seattle trainer was "needed", the trainer took the long route to reach the player. As in, the trainer would run the length of the sideline until they reach how far down the player was, and then the trainer would enter the field (think of a right angle triangle - fastest path is point a to point b ordeal).

Vartughian pointed this out to the fourth official and then all of a sudden they were taking direct paths. There were also multiple occasions in which the training staff delayed coming onto the field acting confused as to whether or not they really were needed.

I think they're ready for Mexico.

One last thought. Last game I was harsh on Thiago Andrade and thought he was very poor even though he had the goal. Last night, he had an ok first half but holy hell he turned it on in the second. He was a beast.

And a great game from Thiago Martins. He had a few errant passes, but nothing egregious and his defense was much better, including the clearance off the line.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, I pointed this out on Twitter but probably hard to see on TV. The first two-three times the Seattle trainer was "needed", the trainer took the long route to reach the player. As in, the trainer would run the length of the sideline until they reach how far down the player was, and then the trainer would enter the field (think of a right angle triangle - fastest path is point a to point b ordeal).

Vartughian pointed this out to the fourth official and then all of a sudden they were taking direct paths. There were also multiple occasions in which the training staff delayed coming onto the field acting confused as to whether or not they really were needed.

I think they're ready for Mexico.
MLS is learning how to CONCACAF and as frustrating as it is, it's the way the game's played. We'll have to get used to it!

Like just about everyone else here, I was proud of the effort given by the players. I just wish that we had been more clinical. Frei saved Seattle's ass. If we can play like that and improve on the accuracy, we'll be right there at or near the top of the table at the end of the year.

The two Thiagos had good games last night. I hope Martins has turned a corner, because we need him.

It sucks that we didn't have Maxi out there, because his presence might have added a bit more creativity that could have gotten us the goals we lacked. That's football.

I would have thought that we could draw more than 6K for a match of this importance, even if it is in New Jersey. I'm disappointed with CONCACAF and FOX for scheduling this game at 9 p.m., but I'm also disappointed with New Yorkers in general for not supporting this team.

Lastly, even though Ruidiaz was being a little bitch, the plastic bottle throwing by people in the stands was pathetic. Did they throw those people out?

FO, get us a stadium!

One last item, in the pregame press conference, Ronny went into how nice it had been to have had a week between games, be home the whole time, recharge, etc. and he thought that had greatly impacted the team's morale coming into the game.

He reiterated that last night and seemed to think that had a big impact on the quality of the performance.

NYCFC is home in it's next five matches.

Not much more to add, agree with most posts. I'm just glad the boys left everything out on the field and gave us an entertaining match. Nothing to hang our heads over. Love Santi even more with his hustle and willingness to stick up for his teammates/getting in the face of opposing players. Sucks that we also had to attack away from the home support in the 2nd half, as I was unable to see much being in the second row of 117.

One minor qualm, we need to work on a five minute drill type scenario where we just launch more crosses at the box as often as possible. In the last 4-5 minutes of the game, we had numerous throw ins where we threw it backwards towards our defense, passed the ball back and forth between our CBs and Parks, and took 30 seconds to a minute just to start getting the ball moving towards a dangerous direction. Possession is nice over 90 minutes, but when you need two goals and are in injury time, waiting to setup the perfect cross isn't going to cut it. Hoof ball ain't pretty, but sometimes you just gotta play nasty and get some dirty goals.

Shoutout to the guys selling USMNT kits on the sidewalk outside the arena, I'm now set for the 2022 WC with my new "authentic" Pulisic kit. Can we start an "authentic" kits for an "authentic" world cup movement?

Also, I thought the referee was fine last night. Don't really recall any calls I thought were bad either way. (Actually, the only thing he did that I can remember disagreeing with was the yellow to Frei. I think maybe he did deserve a yellow at some point, but he gave him the yellow for not starting play with the goal kick while Ruidiaz was still coming off the field and Seattle hadn't finished their sub yet, so it made absolutely no sense that he gave him a yellow there).

Probably deserved more stoppage time, but that's the only gripe I have I think and that wouldn't have made a difference unless perhaps NYCFC only needed one more. The larger gripe I have with only 6 minutes of stoppage time is that in comparison, that is what Red Bulls got against NYCFC last year at RBA which led to the handball in the box in the final minute (sorry for bringing that back up).

Ronny was asked about the ref post match and basically said the same thing. Thought the ref was fine, wish they had more stoppage time but what can you do.

Probably deserved more stoppage time, but that's the only gripe I have I think and that wouldn't have made a difference unless perhaps NYCFC only needed one more. The larger gripe I have with only 6 minutes of stoppage time is that in comparison, that is what Red Bulls got against NYCFC last year at RBA which led to the handball in the box in the final minute (sorry for bringing that back up).

I thought Elfath gave eight in that game, what I do remember is the PK was at 90+11’ which RBNJ crowed as being the latest goal in team history. Still upset at that one.

What’s crazy is how the margins are so thin - just one of those chances goes in and the ref doesn’t go to VAR in the first game for Seattle’s third goal and it’s off to penalties.

a big missed opportunity but as others have said, have to be proud of the effort. Now to start climbing up that MLS table.