CCL - April 13 - Seattle (RBA)

I thought Elfath gave eight in that game, what I do remember is the PK was at 90+11’ which RBNJ crowed as being the latest goal in team history. Still upset at that one.
Just double-checked, you are right. 8 minutes.

One last item, in the pregame press conference, Ronny went into how nice it had been to have had a week between games, be home the whole time, recharge, etc. and he thought that had greatly impacted the team's morale coming into the game.

He reiterated that last night and seemed to think that had a big impact on the quality of the performance.

NYCFC is home in it's next five matches.
I thought Perreira was a bright spot last night. He had good control and a step up in composure and chance creation. Looking forward to seeing more of him.
And just expanding on what Soup wrote, Deila specifically mentioned how the break benefited someone like Pereira. He’s 20, in a new country, has no partner or family with him, traveled to Toronto with the team but then also had to head back to Brazil to clear up some kind of visa thing.

The last few matches I had moved away from coughing it up to rest/travel and just thinking that maybe we can’t play up the wings the way we did last year with our current roster etc (at least not this early in the season) but last night was like the band got back together, even without Maxi, Chanot.

Wish the timing and luck could have gone our way for CCL but we’ve got a full season of MLS ahead and I’m excited to get back to the supporters section for our next stretch of home games

And just expanding on what Soup wrote, Deila specifically mentioned how the break benefited someone like Pereira. He’s 20, in a new country, has no partner or family with him, traveled to Toronto with the team but then also had to head back to Brazil to clear up some kind of visa thing.

The last few matches I had moved away from coughing it up to rest/travel and just thinking that maybe we can’t play up the wings the way we did last year with our current roster etc (at least not this early in the season) but last night was like the band got back together, even without Maxi, Chanot.

Wish the timing and luck could have gone our way for CCL but we’ve got a full season of MLS ahead and I’m excited to get back to the supporters section for our next stretch of home games

It makes me think that eastern conference teams will just about never have a good shot at winning CCL for this reason. Anyone in middle of the country or west will have a much shorter commute for most ties, and I'm sure that affects things.

This game is why people don’t like soccer. If the trainer comes out you should have to go out for a minimum of 2 minutes. If you get stretchered off the field, you should not be allowed back. Use a sub.

the ref didn’t allow any flow to the game. Throw in goes backwards or restarts backwards and he blows it dead to move the ball back 5 feet. At some point you need to do more when there players are clearly faking injuries. Magno needs to out that away.

This game is why people don’t like soccer. If the trainer comes out you should have to go out for a minimum of 2 minutes. If you get stretchered off the field, you should not be allowed back. Use a sub.

the ref didn’t allow any flow to the game. Throw in goes backwards or restarts backwards and he blows it dead to move the ball back 5 feet. At some point you need to do more when there players are clearly faking injuries. Magno needs to out that away.
Something like this makes sense. There is nothing that says a ref has to wave a player back on immediately after an injury. If a ref thinks there is gamesmanship going on, he can just wait a minute to wave the player back. It's simple and sends a message.

So much of this can be dealt with by simply operating within the existing structure of the game. Add stoppage time, delay re-entry, more aggressive with yellow cards for time wasting. It's not hard.

After the RSL game, this loss hurts a little more. We’re going to have to play meaningful cup games in neutral venues without any sort of footballing home field advantage until we get a stadium.

The goals that we didn’t net on Wednesday came a few days later. I’d and Taty would have traded three of his vs RSL to be added instead for the aggregate vs Seattle.

The goals that we didn’t net on Wednesday came a few days later. I’d and Taty would have traded three of his vs RSL to be added instead for the aggregate vs Seattle.
I think the difference was that Seattle is a really good team and Real Salt Lake is not, and it showed (in both games). I've seen our bumpy up and down xG mentioned here a number of times and that's true, we either get all of them or none of them it seems. But the difference in playing Seattle is that they can deal with our xG by making great saves or defensive plays whereas RSL just did not look like they belonged on the same field.

The same thing happened in the NYCFC2 match the day before against Inter Miami 2. We were nutmegging and step-overing them right and left like pros and they were more like a team you'd get together in a park. They just had no answer for our quality, same as with RSL. But Seattle is as good as us, the xG bounces didn't go our way that day, and the 1-1 draw felt like a terrible loss.

I guess my point is that that's why you have to beat up on the bad teams, because you can't control all the bounces when you play the good teams. Same is true in every sport I suppose.