Lampard Is Injured Megathread

Honestly though, is there any possible way to cut ties with him and have a nice open DP to use next year? Even if there was a way, I can't see CFG doing that to him.

On another note. Since he can't play, how about him replacing Kreis?! He couldn't be worse.

Honestly though, is there any possible way to cut ties with him and have a nice open DP to use next year? Even if there was a way, I can't see CFG doing that to him.

Or worse, imagine what they could have done with a real DP instead of Limpard. Imagine Michael Bradley playing the active box to box midfielder next to Pirlo. It's very unclear where Lamps fits in this lineup.

What is really needed is to build the foundation that this is a place where great names can come. Lampard's name is bigger than his skill right now, but perception is reality. When fans hear names they know, they'll flock. We have the names to make them flock, now we'll transition that popularity with younger, more skillful DPs in a few years and translate that into wins and a dynasty.

Season one is a launching pad season where marketing and visability played a much bigger role in team assembly (particularly with respect to designated players) than it will down the road, so during the next phase we very well may be more likely to target a Giovinco over a Lampard.

At the time, it seemed like a good idea on paper. Villa up top and an experienced name midfielder in Lampard. I'm sure they wouldn't do that now, especially with Pirlo becoming available. The way MLS is built, it doesn't make sense to have both. But I'm glad they didn't pass on Pirlo based on that reasoning. We have some nice pieces in the midfield now and just want to see Lampard play a few damn games. He had some nice chances against the Red Bulls. Idk what's going on with this guy though. Pirlo has taken my mind off FF anyway and if Kreis doesn't screw around..we really don't need him.

Season one is a launching pad season where marketing and visability played a much bigger role in team assembly (particularly with respect to designated players) than it will down the road, so during the next phase we very well may be more likely to target a Giovinco over a Lampard.

Don't think the nyc fans get enough credit as soccer fans. I think the attraction of giovinco would have been just as big as lampard, if not bigger especially once he started playing like an MVP(which I doubt lampard ever will). I know I would've been more excited at the prospect of giovinco.

The reasons for our high ticket sales and fan support go a lot deeper than throwing a few aging stars out on the pitch. Even accounting for star power, it quickly becomes a lot more to do with current form than past reputation.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Don't think the nyc fans get enough credit as soccer fans. I think the attraction of giovinco would have been just as big as lampard, if not bigger especially once he started playing like an MVP(which I doubt lampard ever will). I know I would've been more excited at the prospect of giovinco.

I think Lampard was the better move in terms of name recognition, with EPL getting such huge TV ratings compared to Serie A. I know a lot of people watch the UCL but a lot don't due to work commitments.

The thing is, as I look ahead, knowing our coach and our roster, I actually almost want 373 to remain unavailable so Poku and Mix can continue playing. It just seems inevitable he will displace one of those 2. It's not petulance, anger or spite. It's just with 10 games left I think we're better with them than with a guy who -- for all his talent -- is still starting from point zero in terms of learning to play with this team, and the team playing with him. Plus his fitness has to be questioned at this point with all his missed time. Next year we can all start fresh. He'll have a full preseason training etc to blend in.

I think Lampard was the better move in terms of name recognition, with EPL getting such huge TV ratings compared to Serie A. I know a lot of people watch the UCL but a lot don't due to work commitments.
I pretty much agree with this, and certainly it's true in my case. I'm sure I've seen Lampard play in the EPL quite a number of times during his time at Chelsea, mostly because those happened to be shown on TV as part of the US EPL coverage, and I definitely saw his Man City matches. But I never saw Pirlo play until he came here. (Although there is a possibility I saw him in a World Cup match or two by accident.)

I'm not at all an NYCFC fan because of Lampard, same as I'm not a fan because of Villa or Pirlo. I'm a fan because I know I'm NYC. I'll still be an NYCFC fan long after they're all gone back home to Europe.

The thing is, as I look ahead, knowing our coach and our roster, I actually almost want 373 to remain unavailable so Poku and Mix can continue playing. It just seems inevitable he will displace one of those 2. It's not petulance, anger or spite. It's just with 10 games left I think we're better with them than with a guy who -- for all his talent -- is still starting from point zero in terms of learning to play with this team, and the team playing with him. Plus his fitness has to be questioned at this point with all his missed time. Next year we can all start fresh. He'll have a full preseason training etc to blend in.
This. And with no emotion involved in feeling this way. Assuming he is healthy, I would rather see him as a super-sub (albeit, a high-priced one) that could make a big impact late in the game when chemistry and comfort, as well as stamina, become less important. This could be where he becomes a difference maker.

This. And with no emotion involved in feeling this way. Assuming he is healthy, I would rather see him as a super-sub (albeit, a high-priced one) that could make a big impact late in the game when chemistry and comfort, as well as stamina, become less important. This could be where he becomes a difference maker.
This totally works for me, at least for this season. Next year I'd like to see him on-field for the whole season though. Just to get our moneys worth. And because he can get 10 or 20 goals for us.