NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2019

Why are we trying to sign players only for immigrant communities?

The largest population in New York is white. Maybe we should be finding the best white player in the world then?

i dont even think its that, its more like people want a "star" and honestly i thought at this point the league as a whole would move away from that but looks like thats not happening soon.

Reactions: Victors87
i dont even think its that, its more like people want a "star" and honestly i thought at this point the league as a whole would move away from that but looks like thats not happening soon.

What are the common themes across the best supported clubs in MLS?

New or dedicated stadium
Transparent front office
Top notch fan services
Culture of winning

How many stars do you see on SKC or Portland?

Its NYC...i think we need stars.... Of course to win/stadium... But to fil seats quickly a star power will bring people. Mariano is great, but im sure many folks from DR dont know who he is.

Chicharito not only known by mexicans but bunch of non mexicans... At one point there was chicharito mania like 10 yrs ago when he was in Man U..... Univison was always mentioning him... We get a Aguero great.. Will fill seats premier league status, latin status...

I dont know... I cant think other way to bring seats besides winning a bunch, stadium,.... A star DP will bring seats in the interim until we get the other two

Reactions: The Toe and Ulrich
What are the common themes across the best supported clubs in MLS?

New or dedicated stadium
Transparent front office
Top notch fan services
Culture of winning

How many stars do you see on SKC or Portland?

ok? only SKC fits that bill (and thats after the new ownership group went in), i mean as much love portland give the timbers they only have one title of anything but timbers has been around since the 70's in some shape or form. so longevity? fans know the team for decades so they still there.

the league still wants stars to promote even if its SKC or portland doing well. it will continue to need them to stand a chance in the TV game. sad but its true. SKC plays in tv and ratings arent huge, no matter how well supported and winning mentality it has

ok? only SKC fits that bill (and thats after the new ownership group went in), i mean as much love portland give the timbers they only have one title of anything but timbers has been around since the 70's in some shape or form. so longevity? fans know the team for decades so they still there.

the league still wants stars to promote even if its SKC or portland doing well. it will continue to need them to stand a chance in the TV game. sad but its true. SKC plays in tv and ratings arent huge, no matter how well supported and winning mentality it has

Agree to disagree. I think that’s how you fill a stadium.

Certainly the nycfc plan isn’t working

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Harry Kane?
I see your Kane and raise you...

this guy...

07e437b89e386e084e8e226b348fbc74--guy-celebrities-crushes.jpg

SKC is Kansas City's third top level professional sports team. The Timbers is Portland's second. Red Bulls and NYCFC are the metro area's 10th and 11th (bump that to 11th and 12th if you count the Liberty).
NYCFC could be run perfectly and win the league and they would still get minimal traction in this market.

Last edited:
As somebody pointed out, most Dominicans have no idea who Mariano is. He was born in Madrid and I think only has one Dominican parent. And the national pastime is baseball. OTOH if we get somebody who has cult status with his country's fans and comes from a soccer-obsessed country, the bump in attendance would be almost guaranteed. Falcao, Chicharito, maybe Andres Guardado or Paolo Guerrero also come to mind. Those may not be the best soccer decisions though.

Agree to disagree. I think that’s how you fill a stadium.

Certainly the nycfc plan isn’t working

fine....though many teams plan are not working when it comes to attendance ( and TV), even the galaxy in between gerrard and zlatan playing home was not fully selling out and they are the most successful MLS team. a good part of MLS is still dependant on star power. if it wasn't still needed then no all star game vs euro team reserves would take place.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's not about trying to sign guys of a certain nationality. David Villa was a huge name who played his ass off here -- people came to watch him. People come to Yankees games to watch Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge, not to watch Tyler Wade. We need to give people a reason to come. Who are they coming to see right now? Maxi? Mitrita? We don't have a David Villa anymore, and that's why attendance is dropping.

The team is doing everything right in terms of awareness, but fans come to watch the stars. We don't have any stars right now. There's no one on this team right now that I'm sitting at home thinking about how badly I want to watch him live. That is the fundamental problem.

There is *tons* of soccer being played in this city. Go look at any rec field after work hours or on weekends. I would think that per capita NYC probably has more people interested in soccer than anywhere else in the country. And yet we get fewer than 20,000 of them to see the top-tier team in the boroughs play at "home".

Perhaps what NYCFC *really* needs to do beyond having undeniable star power on the pitch is get significantly more involved with grassroots soccer in the city. Sure, paying for a handful of branded five-a-side pitches is nice, but really get seriously involved. Be present. Put money into it. Be a resource your city league side can approach for support. Build loyalty from the ground up. In most of the rest of the soccer-playing world clubs are integral parts of their communities. Work harder on that.

The blueprint to launch was clearly to bring in iconic players to draw attention and an initial following. I would think that we will revisit a modified version of that to open a new stadium, whenever that is. That’s the second and most important bite at the apple to bolster the fresh start and right path for a successful club in this market. I could see us signing one or two iconic players for that purpose. As for the interim period, there is not so much upside to going iconic while still at YS. There may be a small boost in tourist one offs, but we are stuck with our 18-21k in a less than perfect spot. Waiting to go all in at the right time is the better move.

While this is a problem one of the major issues is that New York has two teams. I'd love to see the numbers "adjusted" to add the viewership of the two teams together to see how that would change. I do note that there might be some who watch both teams, and you'd have to account for the fact that you'd have two opposing teams instead of just the one so you can't quite just add together the two games' numbers. Still would be interesting though.