Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Saunders

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Mix

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Matarrita

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
When it wasn't clear whether Saunders had to leave the game I thought it was a brilliant move not to use the 3rd sub. I liked the tactical shift to 4-4-2 and then 4-5-1 to grind out the game.

61% possession!!!!!

The teams that are scouting us are going to have to make adjustments for Shelton and Taylor which will open up the center of the field for Villa to get 1 v 1. The way Shelton and Taylor played really set us up for success the next 2-3 games.

No, he was available off the bench. But he's more of an offensive substitution, and we were up by two goals for most of the second half.
Yes of course I know he is an offensive player. But I find it interesting that this is the second coach in two years that ( keep in mind I know it is only 1 game) is not in love with Poku as much as us fans are.

Yes of course I know he is an offensive player. But I find it interesting that this is the second coach in two years that ( keep in mind I know it is only 1 game) is not in love with Poku as much as us fans are.

I kept reading that he was struggling in pre season and he still has to work on his fitness to go full 90

I read on BS that there was a lot of wind going towards the goal were we scored three which made kicks look bad. Lampsons kicks were that way because of the wind.

I read on BS that there was a lot of wind going towards the goal were we scored three which made kicks look bad. Lampsons kicks were that way because of the wind.

Definitely possible. But You must play to the elements and find the best game plan

Reactions: Ulrich and NYCFCP
I know much of this was said already but I would still like to weigh in.

Wow, what a frantic, heart in mouth game. There was a fluidity to our attack that was not present at any point last year and I think that is the biggest thing I took from this game. If we can keep up that attacking prowess, I think we have a legitimate shot at doing fairly well this season.

That being said, our back line was woeful and, as others have mentioned, especially Brilliant. He looked completely lost out there and while I think he will improve over time it is a huge concern for me right now along with the rest of the back line. If we can shore up that back four I think we'll do well. Chicago could've easily put more past us and they should've been awarded a couple of penalties in the end. The score line could easily be flipped.

Speaking of which, I think Saunders kept us in the game. He had some great saves and was proactive in stopping a lot of opportunities. I have not been his biggest fan as I think he can be frantic but a lot of his deficiencies have more to do with who is in front of him instead of his own shortcomings.

Mix, I thought, was fantastic. From someone that received a fair amount of criticism last season (and rightfully so) I think he came out of the gates on a mission and he succeeded spectacularly. If he keeps up that style of play I think he'll be integral to our success. He looks way more comfortable in his new role.

Finally, Villa was fairly anonymous today BUT it was relieving to see that our attack is not based solely on wether or not David is having a good day. I expect him to have better games and main strikers will not always be on the mark. Thankfully it looks like our attack is more fleshed out and we don't have to put all of our eggs in his basket this year.

In closing, I'm really looking forward to our next game. Hopefully we can address some of our defensive woes and keep the high press on the other end for another three points. It doesn't matter how ugly it is, a win is a win.

Mix is played well but if we dont have a defensive midfielder next to pirlo we arent going to win many games.

Mena is a starter, no questions.

I would put bravo next to Pirlo.

I would play 4-1-3-2 with:

Mararrita, Mena, Brilliant, Iraola
Bravo
Mix, Pirlo, Lampard
Villa, Shelton

Bench players to come out first: mcnamara, khiry, lopez and taylor

Real question where the fuck do I get one of those beer trophies???????

They gave them out at Ryan's Daughter during at least one game last season (they're Heineken branded so I assume they're made by them as a freebie). Dude in front of me got the last one. Dunno if the one the guy had on TV was new or not for this year.

Reactions: SayWhat44
I'm still not convinced that midfield is his best position.

My read on Poku is that he makes good decisions, but slowly, because he generally has enough strength to block out defenders to buy himself time on the ball. In the chaos of midfield he has a tendency to slow play down and make it difficult for others to time their runs. Also we keep hearing that his fitness is suspect, and in a 4-3-3, particularly with Pirlo, we need those two mid positions to run all day.

I think he's a better prospect up front where we can use him as an outlet, and his hold up play can ease pressure and bring other players into the mix. We're also relatively short staffed up front and this would give Villa the chance to play on the left wing where he tends to drift anyway.

I think most of the excitement generated amongst fans has come from his performances in advanced positions, whereas coaches seem to see him as a midfield option, as does he himself.

Eh, pretty sure this has all been said before by many people in many threads.

They seemed to be marking villa and pirlo out of the game and forcing us to go up the wings. Nice that we were able to do it.

True. And I was surprised how often we went up the right side given Chuck Norris White at RB and Khiry at RW. Our strength is the left side with Ronnie Mata, Tommy who really has a good all around touch now and TT the Bear. I couldn't tell if Chicago was forcing us right or we were doing it ourselves.

I know much of this was said already but I would still like to weigh in.

Wow, what a frantic, heart in mouth game. There was a fluidity to our attack that was not present at any point last year and I think that is the biggest thing I took from this game. If we can keep up that attacking prowess, I think we have a legitimate shot at doing fairly well this season.

That being said, our back line was woeful and, as others have mentioned, especially Brilliant. He looked completely lost out there and while I think he will improve over time it is a huge concern for me right now along with the rest of the back line. If we can shore up that back four I think we'll do well. Chicago could've easily put more past us and they should've been awarded a couple of penalties in the end. The score line could easily be flipped.

Speaking of which, I think Saunders kept us in the game. He had some great saves and was proactive in stopping a lot of opportunities. I have not been his biggest fan as I think he can be frantic but a lot of his deficiencies have more to do with who is in front of him instead of his own shortcomings.

Mix, I thought, was fantastic. From someone that received a fair amount of criticism last season (and rightfully so) I think he came out of the gates on a mission and he succeeded spectacularly. If he keeps up that style of play I think he'll be integral to our success. He looks way more comfortable in his new role.

Finally, Villa was fairly anonymous today BUT it was relieving to see that our attack is not based solely on wether or not David is having a good day. I expect him to have better games and main strikers will not always be on the mark. Thankfully it looks like our attack is more fleshed out and we don't have to put all of our eggs in his basket this year.

In closing, I'm really looking forward to our next game. Hopefully we can address some of our defensive woes and keep the high press on the other end for another three points. It doesn't matter how ugly it is, a win is a win.

Great post, I agree with all of it. But even with all that, I have a more negative perception of things moving forward. We did look good in attack, but it was Chicago so I don't take much out of it..

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT