NYCFC v HB Koge - Postmatch

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
Not sure how many of us caught this game, but for those who did we can discuss it here.

In short, though, the second string prove inept and the first XI are left to salvage Vieira's winning record in the last few minutes.

Thoughts?

Reactions: adam
We learned Villa can still score on PKs

The only two things I came away with were:
  • I think we all want Ivanov to happen but I'm not sure it will, at least not in a short timeframe. He looks shook on the ball and off the ball to me, and seems to need bailing out far too often to make me comfortable.
  • The stage was set for Poku to stand up and boss the midfield but he seemed lost and isolated. On the ball he's formidable but does he have the positional awareness and alacrity to succeed so deep and in traffic? I'm not sure. I still think he'd be best as a target man.
Difficult to assess Mullins in this context, given that the 6 and the 8 weren't doing a great job of moving the ball up the field, but I didn't see a ton of movement from him.

Overall, I think this was a good ploy by Vieira. He knew our first string would steamroller the opposition, and they've also had trouble capitalizing on their possession and pressure up front. So by playing a second string, he got to confirm their second-string-ness, and also give the first team the challenge of having to score in a short period of time in order to salvage a result. Vieira is probably gonna be our best acquisition of the off-season.