NYCFC v HB Koge - Postmatch

Interesting how PV is forcing the issue with Saunders playing from the back. He's testing whether he is capable which could very well result in a change this season to Lurch. It's a crucial component of PV ball and he won't let the keeper jeopardize that.

Also loved Mix showing both vision and touch on a couple of those long balls. Mix needs to play a lot, even at the expense of FF.

Otherwise this game was the fourth quarter of an NFL preseason game, clearly the means for PV to assess who makes the end of the bench.

I think they were really hoping to get through this match without much from our starters. These games are quick turnarounds. Game this past Wednesday then yesterday and another Wednesday again and another the following weekend. I'd be fine if he didn't play at all since the FGCU game or only played one more. As long as he suits up for the opener.
Nah, I want to see him play his heart out, score 2 braces the next two matches, then get a soft-tissue injury carrying his bag to the airport shuttle and miss the first 13 games....

He never has to step out on the field for this tournament if PV doesn't want him to, and I'm fine with that. Preseason is about fitness, planning, and trimming the roster. As long as he's fit, he'll be able to gel with the guys around him.

Reactions: JayH and NYCFC_Dan
PV said after the game that he wants to see players play 90 in the next one which suggests that he may go with what may be somewhat close to a starting XI. It will be interesting to see the lineup and formation.

Interesting how PV is forcing the issue with Saunders playing from the back. He's testing whether he is capable which could very well result in a change this season to Lurch. It's a crucial component of PV ball and he won't let the keeper jeopardize that.

I was thinking the exact same thing. PV is forcing Saunders to show he could do it and it really highlighted one of his biggest weaknesses as he failed miserably. I'm wondering if Saunders even has a place on this roster anymore when one of his biggest deficiencies is part of the PV gameplan. What's the point of a backup who isn't capable of playing in PVs system?

Reactions: JayH
I was thinking the exact same thing. PV is forcing Saunders to show he could do it and it really highlighted one of his biggest weaknesses as he failed miserably. I'm wondering if Saunders even has a place on this roster anymore when one of his biggest deficiencies is part of the PV gameplan. What's the point of a backup who isn't capable of playing in PVs system?
Slow rolling pass to the right, back to Saunders, slow rolling pass to the left. Back to Saunders oh no! Panic! Kick out of bounds.

Lurch is cheaper than Saunders, too. I didn't think he was capable of being an mls starter, and I'm still not sure. but I know Saunders isn't, and I prefer him to Saunders, even based solely on aesthetics. Told Paul last year at Cosmos it was refreshing to see a keeper who at least appeared to know what he should do. Never thought it might end with him as our starter though. I just figured we dump Saunders and sign a vet. I'll take Lurch all day, every day. I can stomach any additional goals (if they came) better than i can handle watching that shit from Saunders. He makes me want to smoke crack and die.

Lurch is cheaper than Saunders, too. I didn't think he was capable of being an mls starter, and I'm still not sure. but I know Saunders isn't, and I prefer him to Saunders, even based solely on aesthetics. Told Paul last year at Cosmos it was refreshing to see a keeper who at least appeared to know what he should do. Never thought it might end with him as our starter though. I just figured we dump Saunders and sign a vet. I'll take Lurch all day, every day. I can stomach any additional goals (if they came) better than i can handle watching that shit from Saunders. He makes me want to smoke crack and die.

Second this post.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Also, no vitriol over Hernandez getting the captains band? He's not super well liked around here. Looks like he'll be a big part of the plans again this year.
I thought this was a given as Hernandez has gotten the armband I think twice already when Villa has exited previous games. Not thrilled, but I think it's too early to form conclusions until we see the real starting XI.
was it really just "blah" all over, or did any of the backups stand out?
What stood out was how agonizingly slow our passing was with the second string. Zero creativity. Zero movement. About 90 seconds of pondering before each decision of where to kick the ball next. I actually thought there were only 30 attempted passes in the first half. The rest of it was just contemplation. It was like the Monty Python sketch of Greek vs German philosophers. Only there was no Archimedes to have a revelation and finally go the length of the pitch and score.

I was running around a lot so I didn't get to sit and analyze much of this game. It was exciting to see the starters put two goals up in such a short period though. The attack is shaping nicely in the pre season.

The kids on here have no idea what FootyLovin FootyLovin and Gotham Gator Gotham Gator are talking about with their Monty Python and Benny Hill references. As for the game, did anyone else think that Ivanov was moving like Lumpy Rutherford out there?
He did not impress me. That entire starting lineup played like our 2015 squad. Slow, slow slow movement. Passes to covered guys. Turnovers leading to counters. Blech

Reactions: Ulrich and JayH
I don't have a whole ton of takeaways from the game, but just 3 little things I took note of regarding the defense:

1) Ivanov does not look like an answer at CB. He is strong and physical, but I lost count of how many times he turned the ball over with terrible passes. Also, is he capable of kicking the ball with his right foot? I think every pass I've seen him attempt has been with his left.

2) Speaking of CBs with poor passing, add Hernandez. He looked finnicky back there trying to build out of the back. I was nervous every time he was looking to pass.

3) On the distribution out of the back note, Saunders.....as many have pointed out already, PV wants us to play out of the back and the GK will have a big part of that. But there were many times, especially in the second half where Saunders launched a long ball down the field. I'm guessing PV did not like this and Saunders was reverting to last season's tactics and/or what he's just more comfortable with doing.

I don't have a whole ton of takeaways from the game, but just 3 little things I took note of regarding the defense:

1) Ivanov does not look like an answer at CB. He is strong and physical, but I lost count of how many times he turned the ball over with terrible passes. Also, is he capable of kicking the ball with his right foot? I think every pass I've seen him attempt has been with his left.

2) Speaking of CBs with poor passing, add Hernandez. He looked finnicky back there trying to build out of the back. I was nervous every time he was looking to pass.

3) On the distribution out of the back note, Saunders.....as many have pointed out already, PV wants us to play out of the back and the GK will have a big part of that. But there were many times, especially in the second half where Saunders launched a long ball down the field. I'm guessing PV did not like this and Saunders was reverting to last season's tactics and/or what he's just more comfortable with doing.

There was a number of times last year when Pirlo wanted the ball and Saunders launched it instead. I don't know if it's nerves, stubbornness or habit but Saunders seems intent on blasting the ball up field regularly regardless of the game plan.

I had to miss this match. Sounds like the replay will finally be posted later today. Does it merit a watch and another video match review? Doesn't sound like it!

There was a number of times last year when Pirlo wanted the ball and Saunders launched it instead. I don't know if it's nerves, stubbornness or habit but Saunders seems intent on blasting the ball up field regularly regardless of the game plan.

The 'number of times' you speak of were probably 80% + of the time. Not looking for Saunders to be like Buffon to Pirlo, but his 'launch and hope for the best' approach has got to stop. It's maddening. When you constantly launch the ball like that, you are almost giving the opponent a possible counterattack each time. Yes our back line wasn't the best either with handling the ball...but Saunders was and is a possession killer. We already know what the 34 year old Saunders could do. I am convinced he makes routine saves look good by being dramatic. I am all for letting Eirik start. I would imagine that PV will start Saunders, but his leash will be really really short.

I had to miss this match. Sounds like the replay will finally be posted later today. Does it merit a watch and another video match review? Doesn't sound like it!
Save your sanity and drink a beer with a movie instead.