Patrick Vieira Meet And Greet Wed January 20 In Cityzens Store 250 Points

On tactics/formations:
- 433 is what he generally likes to play
- Formation not as important as overall style of team
- Wants to play attacking, attractive football ("I don't think you guys would be too happy if we're just winning 1-0")
- Happy to try playing either 4 or 3 at the back; with 1 or 2 holding midfielders
- Mentioned trying a system with a #9 with a support striker just behind. Also made numerous references to wingers, and wide players with pace, something he feels we lacked last season
- Sees the team's defensive problems not just as an issue with the back line or keeper, but with the team as a whole (midfield not protecting back four, strikers not doing their job - this answer actually got a round of applause, the only one to do so)

On acquisitions:
- Very excited by Jack Harrison, who has ability to take people on one-on-one and run at players with pace
- Mattarita a very talented, young player
- Not concerned about where new signings come from ("There is no passport in football"
- Says he has been impressed with the team's academy system

On players:
- DPs have an important role in helping other players reach their potential, they are aware of the importance of their role
- Poku has potential to be one of the best players in the league, has not yet reached peak of his abilities. Met with him this morning and told him he will be putting more pressure on him this season, he will have a "big role" to play
- Says he wants the team to play with a togetherness, work hard for each other and act as a family off the field (in response to a question on what he'd learned from his Arsenal days)

On the new job:
- Realized when he saw the fans' reaction to trading up at the draft that New York fans would not accept anything but the best
- Is a big fan of New York as a city. Came here on holiday every year with his family, loves the diversity and the buzz of the city. Heard him mention to one fan that his wife is also very happy here.
- Wants to bring some of his personality to the way the team plays. Says he will likely have to tone down his emotions somewhat as a manager
- Says the team's aim next season is to win trophies

My thoughts - a very charismatic and thoughtful guy, with clear ideas about his ambition for the club, but an open mind about how we get there. I get a sense that while he's got a decent idea of what style of football he wants to play, he's far from deciding on a first XI, default formation or the like. It wouldn't surprise me if the transfer deals we make before the season starts come in areas that we didn't expect - he even specifically warned against blaming the defense or GK for our defensive struggles. That said, he had nothing negative to say about the DPs, and obviously sees Poku as a starter, so there are a few things we can expect. Overall he seemed happy, and was generous with his time - he stopped to say hello to a Third Rail guy he recognized on the way up to the podium, and took time to speak to everyone in the bar (in English and French). And he gave me a picture, so that's nice.

Awesome recap, ManhattanValley ManhattanValley, I'm glad we got some answers to big questions we've been asking. I really want to see Vieira up and managing during the game. I have to say, watching Kreis sit back and cross his legs for 90 minutes reminded me more of a nun than a manager.

Just came back home from the Third Rail meeting. Nothing different than what ManhattanValley ManhattanValley has stated. Asked the TR supporters how they felt about the previous season then opened it up to questions. I asked him what I wanted to ask him about playing time vs. playing in natural position and any disadvantages of being a club in the CFG family.

He wants players to be in their natural position because that is where they succeed. At Puerto Rico, he spoke to players and they told him that was a problem they faced last season. Wants to play Poku and Mix and others where they want to be playing.

No disadvantages being in CFG but each city has to have its own culture which he mentioned in the press conference earlier in the morning.

The last thing is that were a lot of NYCFC front office people there, even the new president who I said hello to. I'd like to see a panel with them. I think supporters and fans want to know the people serving in the front office.

Last edited:
My son asked him, "what is your greatest Football memory, winning the World Cup in '98 or the MLS Cup in 2016?"
Your son was awesome up there! And I think PV got a kick out of the question.

Well, what did Vieira answer?
He had just been talking about how much the NYCFC fans wanted to win and how it put good pressure on him to succeed. He laughed and said he was committed to winning THIS year. MLS Cup or Supporters shield. Then he said if we win the Cup he'll meet my son and I for drinks. When he came by person to person he was wonderful with my son and told him if he delivers a cup, the least my son can do is pay for the drinks. My son shook his hand and said, "DEAL!"

I think any open-ended, non-argumentative question about Mix or any other current player should be good. I would share Ulrich Ulrich's concerns if the question were "Do you think Mix was poorly used last year" or "Some people think Mix is a poor fit for this team, how about you?"
But "what do you think of Mix" or "what do you think is Mix's best position on this team?" sound like great questions. If he chooses to answer in platitudes so be it.
Didn't see this one either. It's either a really big issue or we have some major groupthink going on.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I should also add that Vieira came across as very genuine and engaging, and was very accommodating to photo and autograph requests. We had to retake D_RoyJenkins photo twice because Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan bollixed it up, and it was no problem.
View attachment 3828
I did. I always do. My wife won't let me take pics. I can now point to this as evidence when i screw up a pic that I am not just being a dick out of spite because I hate photos.

I'm equally bad at being photoed by the way. I manage to do the dumbest shit every time.

I feel that Vieira will make appearances during the pre-game chalk talks so there will be other opportunities to interact with him. He may even show up to the post match meet and greet.

Also, why didn't anyone ask him if Jack Harrison is an international player. We must know!