Redbulls Postgame

RB are better than us. That is clear. We needed luck to beat them. We needed Lamps shot to go in. We needed Mix's excellent volley to go in. We needed one of the obvious penalties to be called. Didn't happen. but thats what happens when you dont take care of business against chicago and philly earlier in the year.

Non-match comments:
- Red Bull Arena is a great arena once you're in your seat to watch soccer. HOWEVER, the concourse is incredibly small. You have all the room in the world in New Jersey, why aren't these bigger? Also, they are terrible organization with their operations. When my friend was ordering a hot dog, they ran out of buns. What's their bun to hot dog ratio? Finally, parking is absolute shit. They could pave their lots and do a better job with getting cars out of the parking lot. It took a solid 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot.
The concourse is small but as for the crowds the fact that soccer only has one stoppage (the halftime) means everyone is going to try to go to the bathroom and get food at once so they don't miss too much of the game.

The food distributor at Red Bull Arena (Delaware North) has a bad rep amongst fans.

As for the parking -- do a better job getting cars out of the lot? Its called traffic -- and every major event that people go to has the same issue. If you have tens of thousands of people trying to get in their cars at once and leave a stadium, plus herds of people trying to cross the street to access public transportation, you're going to have delays. Its always gridlock everywhere. If I'm driving to any event I usually bring a snack to have in the car or just hang out after its over to let the lots clear out.

Honestly, at this point I don't know what to think anymore. Sure, even the best teams lose games, but there is no excuse for putting out a performance like that with the team we fielded. On paper, we're on of the best teams in terms of talent. They just can't translate that into something meaningful. I have no idea what the issue is at this point. You can say the defense is shit, but there was no offense at all. And this is team that scored 5 scores a few games ago. Something is not right.

Reactions: Narrowback gal
Honestly, at this point I don't know what to think anymore. Sure, even the best teams lose games, but there is no excuse for putting out a performance like that with the team we fielded. On paper, we're on of the best teams in terms of talent. They just can't translate that into something meaningful. I have no idea what the issue is at this point. You can say the defense is shit, but there was no offense at all. And this is team that scored 5 scores a few games ago. Something is not right.

New mids playing together for the first time, horrible defending, looking for the perfect pass, passing when we should shoot, turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. We're our own worst enemy at this point.

New mids playing together for the first time, horrible defending, looking for the perfect pass, passing when we should shoot, turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. We're our own worst enemy at this point.

Yes, those are obvious things, but there's no reason any of this should be happening with this amount of talent. Everyone just seems fucking lost. I can understand that from the noobs, but not from Pirlo, Lampard and Villa. I get that they can have off days, and they're all past their prime, but they're still 3 of the best players in all of MLS. No reason for how they performed yesterday. It was pure shit from all 3.

Yes, those are obvious things, but there's no reason any of this should be happening with this amount of talent. Everyone just seems fucking lost. I can understand that from the noobs, but not from Pirlo, Lampard and Villa. I get that they can have off days, and they're all past their prime, but they're still 3 of the best players in all of MLS. No reason for how they performed yesterday. It was pure shit from all 3.

Point taken. Pirlo was underwhelming.. Villa was wayyy too selfish at times and other times he was "wtf". And Lampard gets the rust excuse from me..... for now.

The team needs to relax with trying to get Pirlo the ball too. He can have 3 opponents swarming him and his teammates will still pass him the ball, whether he's open or not.

Our 'off-the-ball" runs aren't there. In the first game Pirlo came into, players were running all over the place.

The Red Bulls played the same formation. You had Filipe/Dax playing the Pirlo/AJ roles. Yet Filipe and Dax were flying around and idk where the hell AJ was all game. We can't play the possession game without speed up top to keep the defenses honest. Besides the Facey assist, our defense wasn't terrible and AJ didn't contribute defensively at all imo. Put Mix next to Pirlo. Start Mac/Lampard/Mullins or Shelton in front.

This game feels devastating because of the timing in the season. But I don't think it was as bad as it is being made out to be.

I'd characterize the first 80 minutes or so as fluke soccer.

70% - the likelihood Lampard buries a shot when he's in on goal
30% - the likelihood Mix hits that volley anywhere other than straight at the keeper while keeping it on frame
40% - chance Lampard buries a shot from the top of the box
10% - chance a CD like Mena whiffs at a normal cross like the one that gave NJ their first goal
90% - chance BWP scores on a breakaway 1v1 with Saunders

We could easily have been up 2-0 at the half. Those are the flukes of this game. Yes. They look like a much more cohesive side.

But also yes, we look like a side with tremendous creativity and link up ability that is just not yet clicking on all cylinders.

This was a game to reinforce what could have been this season and what might be next season.

Looking forward to screaming my head off from section 136 on Thursday. And dreaming of miracle late season comebacks and mesmerizing seasons to come.

A word on commentators/writers comparing "the way NJ vs NYC is built".

Articles were written in advance of this derby and the commentators picked up the same thread. The logic went like this. NJ tried building with stars: Henry, Rafa, Cahill. It never worked. 1 piece of hardware in 20 years. Now they are built around humbler players and doing even better. NYC is built around stars and isn't winning.

Ergo, stars must not work in MLS. The humbler player teams are stronger.

This is a quaint and astonishingly stupid comparison of NYC and NJ that neglects that our "stars" mostly just joined, our supporting cast was pretty weak until recently, and new teams take time to gel.

Oh yeah, it also completely fails to consider the minor additional item of THE LOS ANGELES GALAXY. Holy crap!! Winningest team in MLS history. Do Beckham, Donovan and Keane not count as stars. Oh, and how are they doing this year by the way?

Stupid, moronic talking points from idiot journalists and commentators to make nonsensical comparisons for the sake of this derby. There are enough real comparisons to make. This one was horrible.

Agree with most posters that this was a very difficult pill to swallow. While they played well in the first 10 mins, it was so frenetic that I didn't feel as if NYCFC was dominating, more just back and forth action. After that, I never felt like we were poised for a run of a few goals. I only found myself getting excited when Angelino was attempting to create. I also agree with the poster who discussed the absolute lack of overlapping runs.

The referee was atrocious but that's not the reason we lost and quite frankly, if we're still relying on PKs to draw ourselves even in a match (something that we've been very fortunate with a lot this year) that's a much large indictment on the performance than the official.

I'm starting to shift into 2016 mode but not giving up on 2015 yet (though truthfully the Montreal loss last week was arguably more devastating that last night). Looking at the table, it seems as if we need New England to fade more so than Montreal since we've got a game in hand on them. 11 games left by my count, can we get a little magic run here? ::fingers crossed::

A word on commentators/writers comparing "the way NJ vs NYC is built".

Articles were written in advance of this derby and the commentators picked up the same thread. The logic went like this. NJ tried building with stars: Henry, Rafa, Cahill. It never worked. 1 piece of hardware in 20 years. Now they are built around humbler players and doing even better. NYC is built around stars and isn't winning.

Ergo, stars must not work in MLS. The humbler player teams are stronger.

This is a quaint and astonishingly stupid comparison of NYC and NJ that neglects that our "stars" mostly just joined, our supporting cast was pretty weak until recently, and new teams take time to gel.

Oh yeah, it also completely fails to consider the minor additional item of THE LOS ANGELES GALAXY. Holy crap!! Winningest team in MLS history. Do Beckham, Donovan and Keane not count as stars. Oh, and how are they doing this year by the way?

Stupid, moronic talking points from idiot journalists and commentators to make nonsensical comparisons for the sake of this derby. There are enough real comparisons to make. This one was horrible.
This. They came up with their conclusion and then attempted (unsuccessfully) to apply misplaced and short-sighted analysis/evidence to support it. An attempt to compare the two teams' philosophies for compilation and success is so amateurish, it immediately disqualifies the credibility of any writer attempting to apply it.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Anyone else get fucking pissed watching Fox Sports and them whoring themselves out and taking away from the game by cutting the screen for ads?

This is a screenshot someone had taken from a game last year but you get the point. I fucking hate this so much. I am so happy they lost the BPL bid to NBC so I wouldn't have to watch more of this amateur crap.

fox-sports-soccer-advertising.jpg

Word. Also two clubs in completely different phases of growth and circumstances. Subtlety doesn't garner much attention though.

Reactions: roxfontaine
I'm dumbfounded that folks think Mena has been anything average or better. We've been really poor with him in the lineup. Give me that Facey/Hernandez pairing every day of the week.

watching on tv, at the end of the match you could barely see the field with all the red smoke bombs, so i'm not convinced ours were a problem.

You must not have been aware of the sanctions that MLS put on NYCFC traveling supporters for their past 2 and next 2 matches. Even though smoke bombs are banned for traveling supporters always, we aren't allowed drums, tifos, flags. We can only bring jerseys and scarves. Because we set off three smoke bombs this really fucks up what supporters can do at home and on the road in the future.

The red smoke bombs are set off by controlled personnel by Red Bulls staff, so its safe and approved by MLS.

watching on tv, at the end of the match you could barely see the field with all the red smoke bombs, so i'm not convinced ours were a problem.

sat on the side this time. when they do smoke bombs they put them in buckets.

1. Pirlo looked so scared to defend out there.
2. was hoping with 2 more dp's we'd put up more of a fight.
3. sigh... lets rebuild and start again next year. maybe with a more focused vision.

Anyone else get fucking pissed watching Fox Sports and them whoring themselves out and taking away from the game by cutting the screen for ads?

This is a screenshot someone had taken from a game last year but you get the point. I fucking hate this so much. I am so happy they lost the BPL bid to NBC so I wouldn't have to watch more of this amateur crap.

fox-sports-soccer-advertising.jpg
Those things go up for like 3 seconds, whatever

Reactions: Gene
If that gets you pissed off, your head would have exploded back in the day when they would cut away from the Cosmos games and go to a full commercial break during play. ;)

I think we took some early chances? The only time we looked good was the first 10-15min. We just couldn't produce anything with it.

The commercials did not bother me that much. we have to understand the only way for this sports to be ubiquitous on TV is for networks to make tons of money which means we all have to tolerate the ads, however interrupting they seem to be.

What bothers me is the broadcasting qualities: 1) lack of camera coverage. Seems like European games and NFL has way more cameras planted at every angle. any actions they can zoom in at the nearest the camera and at different angles. Not the case with MLS games especially last night's game. When Flippe scored his goal, although they replayed it many times, the angles are not good and zoom is too far away, not ideal. There were many other actions that the cameras stayed way too far and did not allow close examination 2) the controversial call on Villa's offside (one of the earlier ones he had one-on-one facing goalie, to me it was clearly not offsides), but the network did not and could not show us several clear look. The commentators let it go too (probably due to lack of good look because lack of technical/camera coverage). When Mena was punched in RB's box again the network cannot show us replays that is clear enough to draw conclusions. FX needs to improve. They need to send their SkyB staff to the US to teach the US staffers how to broadcast a soccer match.