Seattle Postmatch

I don't know -- it was raining HARD. That was torrential rain for two full hours. I actually think it held up well all things concerned. I actually thought the infield part of the field held up even better than the outfield. The grounds crew actually did a pretty good job today all things considered. There are a lot of fields where that game has to be suspended.
That was shocking and demonstrative of how hard the grounds crew works. The tempturf was the best part of the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Had a great time in the rain with Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan. Jack, YH, villa and Wallace played great. Johnson should be the US goal keeper for the gold cup which would suck for us. CB played well. Seat sucks. U^3 sucks. Love what Okoli brings to the table.

Had a great time in the rain with Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan. Jack, YH, villa and Wallace played great. Johnson should be the US goal keeper for the gold cup which would suck for us. CB played well. Seat sucks. U^3 sucks. Love what Okoli brings to the table.
Dude, how awesome were those old guys we partied with second half? (Apologies team50 guys)

Loved those guys. When I watch a match alongside people like that, it makes me wonder why the hell everyone isn't as excited as we were for the whole second half.

Is it safe to assume that no drainage is built into the field because baseball isn't played in the rain? If this is a Yankee game the tarp is on and they are waiting for 3 hours in that type of weather.
No. Baseball fields have state of the art drainage for the most part because they hate hate hate cancelling or suspending games. They will wait out a rain for 2-3 hours plus routinely and then resume play as soon as they get the tarp off. The tarp only covers the infield. The outfield must drain quickly to allow for a prompt restart. The infield also needs to drain because they will play in a low to moderate rain rather than stop.

It's was like Noah's freaking flood. I have never experienced rain like that except for once or twice in my life.

The only time it's been similar was a rain game in Florida Dolphins vs Giants.
It was definitely a gulf coast style rain storm. It never rains that hard for that long in NYC.

I was drenched walking from my apartment to the subway, so I was dreading how miz I would be sitting there and drying out during the match. How wrong I was.

I decided to forego my bourgie seats and go to my best seats in 215 with Nigs ( D Dnigly13). And This cannot be overstated. It was one of the best soccer plays I've ever seen.

Jack gets the ball and challenges his defender for a moment. He sees Villa on the edge of the 18. He deeks the defender and turns his back to the run like he's going to try to dribble him.

Then, he plays a blind cross to the back post. Some will say it was luck, but that's horseshit. He did exactly what he meant, and it was ballsy and glorious and something you only see from players who are a cut above.

D Dnigly13 in 215???

As far as judging the team in a game in today's conditions, you either say no point in judging because it was such a mess, or you say well done everyone for getting a win in the slop, especially after falling behind.
I lean to the latter, with special marks to Jack and Villa for one very special moment.

I told him to come get a good tactical view. My first time up there this year. And it made me wonder why I ever sit else where. It's the best damn tactical view around.

There's a reason I used to be absolute nails on who was good or shit. That view is like watching a tactical cam the whole game.

I told him to come get a good tactical view. My first time up there this year. And it made me wonder why I ever sit else where. It's the best damn tactical view around.

There's a reason I used to be absolute nails on who was good or shit. That view is like watching a tactical cam the whole game.

I agree. It's nice to be up close each match. But I can't see what I even see on TV. Once we get our new stadium I'm sitting high.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I agree. It's nice to be up close each match. But I can't see what I even see on TV. Once we get our new stadium I'm sitting high.
Tv is garbage relative to the 200 end line view. It's truly night and day.

FTR, Tommy and Sweat aren't good from upstairs, either.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I am still surprised at how well (term used relatively) the team passed the ball, changed field, and possessed in that quicksand. It should have been much much uglier than it was. They somehow kind of looked in synch.

As mentioned, Yangel made so many outrageously sweet plays that won't show up on the stat sheet but made a big difference. I believe on the second Villa goal he made a really slick move to get the play rolling.

I hope that the highlights or Behind the Scenes show the bench after that goal. It was a pandemonium of high fives, shouts, hugs and jumps out of seats. It probably was a combo of the circumstances and how sick the goal was.

Man, that was a fun one.

The cherry on top was bumping into happy Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan on the train ride home.

It was definitely a gulf coast style rain storm. It never rains that hard for that long in NYC.

I was drenched walking from my apartment to the subway, so I was dreading how miz I would be sitting there and drying out during the match. How wrong I was.

I sat in my seats the entire time, you know how freaking wet I got. It was completely worth it for the win.

We did learn that ucubed is actually useful in a suboptimal surface game. If only because he's never off balance at his pathetic maximum speed. That said, it was painfully clear that neither Villa nor Harrison trusted ucubed with the ball in the slightest. They refused to pass to him when he was clearly open, and would only pass to him on the most dire of circumstances.

Get rid of ucubed asap, while he's still worth something.

I am still surprised at how well (term used relatively) the team passed the ball, changed field, and possessed in that quicksand. It should have been much much uglier than it was. They somehow kind of looked in synch.

As mentioned, Yangel made so many outrageously sweet plays that won't show up on the stat sheet but made a big difference. I believe on the second Villa goal he made a really slick move to get the play rolling.

I hope that the highlights or Behind the Scenes show the bench after that goal. It was a pandemonium of high fives, shouts, hugs and jumps out of seats. It probably was a combo of the circumstances and how sick the goal was.

Man, that was a fun one.

The cherry on top was bumping into happy Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan on the train ride home.
That was an unexpected bit of fun. Love that your kid has an unreasonable love of Andre Rawls. That's such a kid thing. Perfect.

No. Baseball fields have state of the art drainage for the most part because they hate hate hate cancelling or suspending games. They will wait out a rain for 2-3 hours plus routinely and then resume play as soon as they get the tarp off. The tarp only covers the infield. The outfield must drain quickly to allow for a prompt restart. The infield also needs to drain because they will play in a low to moderate rain rather than stop.
Baseball fields need to be dry after the rain stops. Soccer pitches need to be dry while it's raining. If I recall, when YS was built, I remember them mentioning drains underground in the outfield. Soccer pitches need to be graded so rain runs out of bounds. I'd be willing to bet there were drains at the center circle, at the top of the 18 on 1st base side and to the right of the 18 on the 3rd Base side. I'm sure it worked for baseball, didn't work for soccer.

Villa was open for his goal at the back post because both the CBs went with Okoli. Having a "target" forward there really can open up space for Villa. Yes, I know PV will never start a 2 forward formation, but it is good to have this option to change the game.

Baseball fields need to be dry after the rain stops. Soccer pitches need to be dry while it's raining. If I recall, when YS was built, I remember them mentioning drains underground in the outfield. Soccer pitches need to be graded so rain runs out of bounds. I'd be willing to bet there were drains at the center circle, at the top of the 18 on 1st base side and to the right of the 18 on the 3rd Base side. I'm sure it worked for baseball, didn't work for soccer.
Actually, I think you are mistaken. All American football and amateur baseball fields are built with a crown. Soccer fields are not. That is why even in a rainy ass place such as England you don't see the ball bounce toward the out of play line. It's much more apt to hug the line.

ETA: here's a song for you, friend. Pour a stiff one and enjoy. (Also, this is at least partly to piss off mgarbowski mgarbowski)

Last edited: