Seattle Postmatch

Did anyone notice Jack walking very gingerly towards the end of the match? I believe it was during or near stoppage time and he had a throw in on the first base side. I'm sure it was just tired legs from a bogged pitch, but still concerning.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan your comment about how Yankee Stadium held was Great !! Thank you I agree . You get a Goal for that ! Give the other guy who had the problem a RED CARD !! That surface looked like one Giant slip-n-slide!:sweatdrops::sweatdrops::sweatdrops::sweatdrops:
Thanks, I think. I think you're actually supporting Tom in Fairfield CT 's point though.

But to me, that's the point. I just don't know how it could have held up any better. A lesser field would have been complete mud.

Thanks, I think. I think you're actually supporting Tom in Fairfield CT 's point though.

But to me, that's the point. I just don't know how it could have held up any better. A lesser field would have been complete mud.
No Trust Me I'm not agreeing with the with the at four member of this forum ! Even though the field was a slip -n- slide it held up Great and did it's job . They said the moment the ball stopped rolling that's when they would call it a day . That didn't happen . Yankee Stadium proudly put the finger in the face of anyone who would tare it down and said to the world..........".Rain WTH? I'm New York Bring it and anything else you got I'm LMFAO to you Punk
Assess !! " Love me some Yankee Stadium !!

Absolutely. The way it tends to work for me is that about five-ish to ten-ish seconds out from a goal I tend to "know" it's coming. Not every time, but quite frequently. And I'm not counting seeing a bad giveaway or huge defensive mistake; just buildup play.
I thought about this some more this morning and here's what my best guess is happening, at least for me. I don't actually think "they're going to score." I just recognize that a good opportunity is going to develop sometimes several seconds before it happens. Which I think most people can do after watching a while. Then 1 of 3 things happens:

1. No chance develops, and I rationalize that the player mis-hit a pass, or adefender made a briliant play to intercept, etc.
  2. Most likely outcome: a strong chance develops but is not finished; no goal is scored, and I congratulate mself for recognizing the development far in advance.
  3. A goal is scored, and my mind immediately backfills and switches my prediction from a good chance developing to "I knew they would score."

I thought about this some more this morning and here's what my best guess is happening, at least for me. I don't actually think "they're going to score." I just recognize that a good opportunity is going to develop sometimes several seconds before it happens. Which I think most people can do after watching a while. Then 1 of 3 things happens:

1. No chance develops, and I rationalize that the player mis-hit a pass, or adefender made a briliant play to intercept, etc.
  2. Most likely outcome: a strong chance develops but is not finished; no goal is scored, and I congratulate mself for recognizing the development far in advance.
  3. A goal is scored, and my mind immediately backfills and switches my prediction from a good chance developing to "I knew they would score."
I agree with these. Those times when you're correct your thought gets hugely rewarded. Those times when you're not correct there's no corresponding "punishment" as there's no pause for celebration or thought as play keeps going. You end up constantly rewarded when you're correct and neutral when you're not, so in a way it doesn't matter how often you're wrong or right as you may only be aware of the times you're correct.

Sorry, psych major (even though it was a long time ago).

And further, now that I think of it, it's the same sort of thing with TMac. If many in the forum are watching for screwups they'll see them but they won't necessarily see the other 75% of the plays he does what's normally expected and/or needed and they'll discount the 5 or 10% of the time when he does something spectacular.

Confirmation bias. It's a thing.

I agree with these. Those times when you're correct your thought gets hugely rewarded. Those times when you're not correct there's no corresponding "punishment" as there's no pause for celebration or thought as play keeps going. You end up constantly rewarded when you're correct and neutral when you're not, so in a way it doesn't matter how often you're wrong or right as you may only be aware of the times you're correct.

And further, now that I think of it, it's the same sort of thing with TMac. If many in the forum are watching for screwups they'll see them but they won't necessarily see the other 75% of the plays he does what's normally expected and/or needed and they'll discount the 5 or 10% of the time when he does something spectacular.

Word. That's why finding civil ways to point out each others' blind spots is so valuable ;)

To be clear, as long as this has been a thing with me, I've always known it was confirmation bias of some form. I just tended to think it was sort of the opposite. I used to think I would internally predict a goal and when it didn't pan out conveniently forget. Now I think I never predict a goal per se, but predict good chances, and when they come true I instantly revise my memory to say I predicted a goal. That's why my attempts to monitor this never came to prove anything. There never were any false goal predictions.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

I understand your point, but I don't agree with it. I see when TMac successfully does the 75% of what he's expected to do, but I don't comment on it, for him or anybody else, because they are expected to complete the mundane; if they couldn't do that, then they don't belong on the field at all - hence the amount of vitriol for Lopez who has difficulty completeing the simple pass. The problem with TMac is that he's been having a hard time even doing the mundane, which is why he's been singled out so much.

Reactions: JGarrettLieb

Remind which side of the TMac divide you are on? I'm trying to decide if this is a good argument or an example of an utter lack of self-awareness.

Reactions: Paul
One of my hobbies is reading MLssoccer.com comments. Seattle fans are the biggest whiners about refs calls around. They dominate nearly every Instant Replay video comment section week after week. Also, Sounders and Portland fans do the most complaining about the Power Rankings. So it's no surprise that the comments on this game are overrun by Sounders fans complaining about the PK call on Villa, and of course the Yankee Stadium pitch. That they have a good point about the former and arguably about the latter doesn't change the fact they they come off very, very poorly. It never is a good look to complain endlessly about these things. And it's not even because the 2 PK calls probably balance out. It's just a bad look to harp on these things every single loss as some do, even when you are right.

Remind which side of the TMac divide you are on? I'm trying to decide if this is a good argument or an example of an utter lack of self-awareness.
Well the snark answer would be to say McNamara == Grabavoy, all enigmatic-like.

The perhaps more accurate answer is that the forum seems united in opinion against him but the whole rest of the soccer universe really likes him. I mean, making the 40 for the national team seems diametrically opposed to him being "useless and should never see the field again." And Vieira continually says he's a vital part of our team and would be much more valuable if he could play every minute we had available. And every announcer whether it be ours or national ones always seem to say, "oooh, he's so good." It's like the whole world likes him except us, so I'm thinking maybe it's us and not the whole rest of the world that might need to reexamine their analysis.

I'm not saying he's the best player who's ever laced up the boots but honestly I trust Vieira more than all of our armchair quarterbacking combined. Vieira got us into the playoffs last year and we seem to be a darn good team this year as well. Can't really agree with the forum position that Vieira doesn't know what he's doing. (Although I fully acknowledge that this could be his for-the-public face and that's not how he actually feels.)

So yeah, I like McNamara but that's neither here nor there. What matters most is that Vieira likes McNamara and I tend to trust his judgement.*

* Although ask me again at the end of July if we've traded him somewhere. One never knows. Also, for the record I'm voting for "good argument." YMMV, of course.

Well the snark answer would be to say McNamara == Grabavoy, all enigmatic-like.

The perhaps more accurate answer is that the forum seems united in opinion against him but the whole rest of the soccer universe really likes him. I mean, making the 40 for the national team seems diametrically opposed to him being "useless and should never see the field again." And Vieira continually says he's a vital part of our team and would be much more valuable if he could play every minute we had available. And every announcer whether it be ours or national ones always seem to say, "oooh, he's so good." It's like the whole world likes him except us, so I'm thinking maybe it's us and not the whole rest of the world that might need to reexamine their analysis.

I'm not saying he's the best player who's ever laced up the boots but honestly I trust Vieira more than all of our armchair quarterbacking combined. Vieira got us into the playoffs last year and we seem to be a darn good team this year as well. Can't really agree with the forum position that Vieira doesn't know what he's doing. (Although I fully acknowledge that this could be his for-the-public face and that's not how he actually feels.)

So yeah, I like McNamara but that's neither here nor there. What matters most is that Vieira likes McNamara and I tend to trust his judgement.*

* Although ask me again at the end of July if we've traded him somewhere. One never knows. Also, for the record I'm voting for "good argument." YMMV, of course.
Well, most of the time people discussing confirmation bias give examples that call out those with whom they disagree. Which of course is confirmation bias, and the utter lack of self-awareness is depressing.

Well, most of the time people discussing confirmation bias give examples that call out those with whom they disagree. Which of course is confirmation bias, and the utter lack of self-awareness is depressing.
So what did you decide?