Timbers Postmatch

Even if the ball hits RJ in the hand, Adi kicks it right into his midsection as RJ is sprinting towards the ball. Absolutely incidental contact if it hits his hand.

Reactions: DeGrozz
Did we end in a 4-4-2?

Villa - Shelton
Matarrita-Iraola-Lopez-Ballouchy
Allen-Hernandez-Brillant-White

Reactions: joe
It was clearly accidental and the ball would have hit his chest anyway and he would have ended up with it if his hand was not there.
Not like he moved his hand to the ball or his arm was outstretched...

Did we end in a 4-4-2?

Villa - Shelton
Matarrita-Iraola-Lopez-Ballouchy
Allen-Hernandez-Brillant-White
i think the idea was for it still to be 4-3-3 but Mata was very deep helping out RJ so it turned into a 4-4-2 with villa drifting left

Reactions: Kjbert
gotta love the RJ stomach shot at the Portland player on the sideline. I bet that was pure retribution for some heavy jostling on prior tackles when Portland was engaging in high press. Frankly, I'd love to see our own version of BeanBall against teams that insist on high pressing our fullbacks - do it every game and they'll quit after the wind gets knocked out or their gonads are relocated to their chest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and The Toe
Maybe because Pirlo is an international superstar who has won almost everything you can and RJ is...who? Just realism, not sarcasm.

Not taking away anything from his pass, it was brilliant...but Villa had a lot to do with that outcome also.

It's amazing how good Villa is at holding off a defender that is considerable larger than him just long enough to finish. Very similar finish as the goal from last year when Prilo put the ball over the top and Villa split two defenders to get to it.

gotta love the RJ stomach shot at the Portland player on the sideline. I bet that was pure retribution for some heavy jostling on prior tackles when Portland was engaging he high press. Frankly, I'd love to see our own version of BeanBall against teams that insist on high pressing our fullbacks - do it every game and they'll quit after the wing gets knocked out or their gonads are relocated to their chest.

I forgot about that. It got a lot of love in the Shout!Box.

It's amazing how good Villa is at holding off a defender that is considerable larger than him just long enough to finish. Very similar finish as the goal from last year when Prilo put the ball over the top and Villa split two defenders to get to it.
Yes and he had a step on the defender and was in front. I think it was more that any contact to nudge him would've been a red card as the last defender. And being smaller, it's harder for a defender to tug on the arm/jersey without making it apparent to the ref. They could only hope he pulled the shot wide or the keeper smothered it.

Reactions: gbservis
Watching the crowd (and hearing them) made me jealous. Our game day atmosphere is miserable.

The best think Strong and Lalas did yesterday was stop talking for about 90 seconds of game time and let the sounds of the stadium and field take control. That was perfect. Good on them.

Watching the crowd (and hearing them) made me jealous. Our game day atmosphere is miserable.

The best think Strong and Lalas did yesterday was stop talking for about 90 seconds of game time and let the sounds of the stadium and field take control. That was perfect. Good on them.
This was one of the things I emphasized in the recent Cityzens survey. We're allowed 10 flags and 2 or 3 drums. Portland has hundreds if not thousands of flags, banners hanging everywhere, a tifo when goals are scored, and a pile of huge drums. Heck, they even have a giant chainsaw! We're allowed no banners and 10 flags. It's crazy. The survey was asking about gameday atmosphere, so I (very politely) let 'em have it.

This was one of the things I emphasized in the recent Cityzens survey. We're allowed 10 flags and 2 or 3 drums. Portland has hundreds if not thousands of flags, banners hanging everywhere, a tifo when goals are scored, and a pile of huge drums. Heck, they even have a giant chainsaw! We're allowed no banners and 10 flags. It's crazy. The survey was asking about gameday atmosphere, so I (very politely) let 'em have it.

Their supporters and the drums really impressed me -- first of all, their drums are huge and, as you pointed out, they have a lot of them. I thought there would be issues staying in sync but they were very impressive. Maybe our supporter group leaders should reach out to them for advice.

Something else that stood out to me was the pre-game atmosphere (which I've noticed at other stadiums as well, particularly the Sounders). The crowd is already in a frenzy and very very loud before the players even take the field. Then when the teams march out the crowd pushes it to another level. This is what we should aspire to -- I remember last year Kreis said something about how at RSL the players in the locker room pregame could hear their supporters chanting/singing and it really set the tone for the home match before it even started. I've noticed that most of our supporters aren't even in the supporters sections prior to the anthem. We have a long way to go but I'm sure things will get better.

Yes, I had thought of that. The Pirlo assist against DC and the Allen assist against Portland were very much the same - half field curlers bending in front of the goalie and right to Villa who was shadowed by two defenders. Both world class for sure.

Their supporters and the drums really impressed me -- first of all, their drums are huge and, as you pointed out, they have a lot of them. I thought there would be issues staying in sync but they were very impressive. Maybe our supporter group leaders should reach out to them for advice.

Something else that stood out to me was the pre-game atmosphere (which I've noticed at other stadiums as well, particularly the Sounders). The crowd is already in a frenzy and very very loud before the players even take the field. Then when the teams march out the crowd pushes it to another level. This is what we should aspire to -- I remember last year Kreis said something about how at RSL the players in the locker room pregame could hear their supporters chanting/singing and it really set the tone for the home match before it even started. I've noticed that most of our supporters aren't even in the supporters sections prior to the anthem. We have a long way to go but I'm sure things will get better.
Their drums reminded of the goblin drums beating in the mines of Moria in LOTR. I was intimidated by those drums watching on TV.

It would take involvement from more than the supporters sections to really have an effect at YS. Maybe in a cozier SSS the supporters alone could carry it. And YS usually looks 80% empty 5-10 minutes before kickoff and then takes about 15-20 minutes to get really full.

It would take involvement from more than the supporters sections to really have an effect at YS. Maybe in a cozier SSS the supporters alone could carry it. And YS usually looks 80% empty 5-10 minutes before kickoff and then takes about 15-20 minutes to get really full.

That's true and that was part of why Portland was so impressive, particularly during the pregame/opening minutes of the match -- the entire stadium was taking part. Also, let's keep in mind that it was cold and pouring rain during most of that match. For me, that just adds to the impressiveness of those Timbers supporters.

Unfortunately for us, the ones with drums in our stands have zero rhythm. They can't keep a beat for much longer than 10 seconds.