What Do You Call'em.

The City. Because everyone knows NYC is "The City". And why not claim "the". MLS ain't using it.

Firstly - "City" is a generic nickname and many clubs use this.
So yea Man' City are also referred to as just "city" but so is Hull, Coventry, Cardiff, Leicester, Bristol City and many many more.... So New York also just using "city" is fine although maybe developing your own unique nickname may be something New Yorkers want/will want to eventually do.

Exactly right. And this is the problem, in that the team name as constituted has no natural actual nickname or anything non-generic to it. As I noted above, I call it CFC, which isn't really that great because it could apply to several "City Football Clubs" around the world.

"NYC" is ridiculous as well.
- What's the NYC football team called?
- NYC
- Right. NYC what?
- Just NYC.
- Really?

Stupid. It would hardly take much more to turn that into a "Who's on first" parody.

Plus, calling yourself NYC in a city with 8 pre-existing and more established local sports franchises (not even counting the NJ based Red Bulls and Devils) is just asking to be disdained. It would be a bit much for fans of the Yankees, Rangers, Knicks or Giants to start calling their teams "NYC" but despite being arrogant it would be somewhat warranted because those teams do own NYC (and yes the Giants play in NJ but everyone seems happy to ignore that), but this team doesn't even exist yet. I mean I bought season tickets to NYCFC, so "Yay", I support them, but let's be real. Calling this team just NYC (as opposed to NYCFC) is a weird combination of arrogance and patheticness. Maybe, MAYBE, they will grow into it. Not nearly yet.

Which leaves us with no good moniker because the parent organization cared more about branding than catering to local reality.
Whatever, I just went on more than I intended and I do support the team and I'm going to the event today but the name kind of cheeses me off. We're not some MCFC off-shoot.

Exactly right. And this is the problem, in that the team name as constituted has no natural actual nickname or anything non-generic to it. As I noted above, I call it CFC, which isn't really that great because it could apply to several "City Football Clubs" around the world.

"NYC" is ridiculous as well.
- What's the NYC football team called?
- NYC
- Right. NYC what?
- Just NYC.
- Really?

Stupid. It would hardly take much more to turn that into a "Who's on first" parody.

Plus, calling yourself NYC in a city with 8 pre-existing and more established local sports franchises (not even counting the NJ based Red Bulls and Devils) is just asking to be disdained. It would be a bit much for fans of the Yankees, Rangers, Knicks or Giants to start calling their teams "NYC" but despite being arrogant it would be somewhat warranted because those teams do own NYC (and yes the Giants play in NJ but everyone seems happy to ignore that), but this team doesn't even exist yet. I mean I bought season tickets to NYCFC, so "Yay", I support them, but let's be real. Calling this team just NYC (as opposed to NYCFC) is a weird combination of arrogance and patheticness. Maybe, MAYBE, they will grow into it. Not nearly yet.

Which leaves us with no good moniker because the parent organization cared more about branding than catering to local reality.
Whatever, I just went on more than I intended and I do support the team and I'm going to the event today but the name kind of cheeses me off. We're not some MCFC off-shoot.

I don't see how you think calling them NYC is ridiculous but calling them CFC makes sense. What the hell is CFC? That means nothing in relation to the team.

I'd have thought as a none native of NYC, that you should relate it to the city itself; like the Third Rail. Perhaps something different than Subway related, but something that links to the City itself.

Well after the jersey release, I'm going with "Man City Junior"
I can see why you would say that, but you might have a problem with some on the broad calling them that. Let others do that and lets us focus on our team. But lets not be afraid to let them know we would like to be less man city more New York City. Let's figure what that looks like. Like what Melbourne did.

I don't see how you think calling them NYC is ridiculous but calling them CFC makes sense. What the hell is CFC? That means nothing in relation to the team.
As I explicitly noted, I don't think calling them CFC is that great either. It doesn't make sense. My main point is that the name led to here. And after seeing the completely ManCity2 derivative kit it's completely clear that the team has no respect for the city or NYC fans of non ManCity EPL teams. They sure don't deserve to be called NYC. Call them MC2 MC Hammer or MC Knockoff. I am so disappointed with the forced marketing right now. That event was pathetic.

As I explicitly noted, I don't think calling them CFC is that great either. It doesn't make sense. My main point is that the name led to here. And after seeing the completely ManCity2 derivative kit it's completely clear that the team has no respect for the city or NYC fans of non ManCity EPL teams. They sure don't deserve to be called NYC. Call them MC2 MC Hammer or MC Knockoff. I am so disappointed with the forced marketing right now. That event was pathetic.

I understand your feelings, and if you want to bail on the team I get it. When it comes to the name, It's the Football Club located in NYC hence why NYCFC, and those of us who like nicknames will figure it out. Yeah the event looked bad and I will say so to the team on Twitter if it is ask I recommend you do so as well if you are still on board.

I understand your feelings, and if you want to bail on the team I get it. When it comes to the name, It's the Football Club located in NYC hence why NYCFC, and those of us who like nicknames will figure it out. Yeah the event looked bad and I will say so to the team on Twitter if it is ask I recommend you do so as well if you are still on board.
Yeah, I think the best course of action for anyone who is disappointed with this is to express those views to the club. For me, this is not enough to jump ship. But I am in "wait-and-see" mode now, to see how this club is going to be run.

That's just ridiculous. I've never seen a team have more respect for the city and it's fans. They include us in everything. So what that the kit looks like MC. SO FREAKING WHAT. Get over it folks. NYCFC has the same colors and sponsor, what else did everyone expect?

If a kit is enough to get you to bail, then you weren't dedicated to the cause from the beginning.

Reactions: Jack and Vito
That's just ridiculous. I've never seen a team have more respect for the city and it's fans. They include us in everything. So what that the kit looks like MC. SO FREAKING WHAT. Get over it folks. NYCFC has the same colors and sponsor, what else did everyone expect?

If a kit is enough to get you to bail, then you weren't dedicated to the cause from the beginning.

I pay them money. They don't pay me. The idea that fans OWE anything to sports teams and that criticism reveals us to be unauthentic is preposterous. Anyway, who said I was bailing? I'll be at the games, but I won't be wearing or buying this MC castoff krep. And I'm sure not putting my photo on it.

Brand similarity and extension is fine, but as I said in another thread, Disney World and Disney Land have more brand differentiation that MC1 and MC2 have right now.

And I'm OK if you like the kit. To each his own. But I think there's a clear tradition of using certain elements in NYC sports teams that has been long discussed here and MC1 clearly said to hell with that and to any supporters who wanted it, or even wanted just anything that made this team something other than MC2. The team that wears this design could be in Des Moines. Just swap out the logo and airdrop this kit anywhere.

Finally, I am proudly not "dedicated to the cause". God, country and family deserve my dedication. This is corporate entertainment, as today's event made painfully clear. And I'm OK with that but, no, I'm certainly not devoted or dedicated to it. It's a sports team.

I pay them money. They don't pay me. The idea that fans OWE anything to sports teams and that criticism reveals us to be unauthentic is preposterous. Anyway, who said I was bailing? I'll be at the games, but I won't be wearing or buying this MC castoff krep. And I'm sure not putting my photo on it.

Brand similarity and extension is fine, but as I said in another thread, Disney World and Disney Land have more brand differentiation that MC1 and MC2 have right now.

And I'm OK if you like the kit. To each his own. But I think there's a clear tradition of using certain elements in NYC sports teams that has been long discussed here and MC1 clearly said to hell with that and to any supporters who wanted it, or even wanted just anything that made this team something other than MC2. The team that wears this design could be in Des Moines. Just swap out the logo and airdrop this kit anywhere.

Finally, I am proudly not "dedicated to the cause". God, country and family deserve my dedication. This is corporate entertainment, as today's event made painfully clear. And I'm OK with that but, no, I'm certainly not devoted or dedicated to it. It's a sports team.

Fair enough.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Self loathing fans already. We're well on our way just like every other New York sports team. Well done. Can't wait for the back pages to feed into it as well.

Reactions: Paul
And after seeing the completely ManCity2 derivative kit it's completely clear that the team has no respect for the city or NYC fans of non ManCity EPL teams. They sure don't deserve to be called NYC. Call them MC2 MC Hammer or MC Knockoff. I am so disappointed with the forced marketing right now. That event was pathetic.

Relax.

The kit is a foundation to build off of for years to come. The kit will change over the years to develop its own character (like every soccer team). It wouldn't be rational if NYCFC strayed away from the global Man City brand and it shouldn't be a surprise that our kit is similar to Man City.

When I look at NYCFC, NYCFC is what I see. Not Man City.

If NYCFC is too difficult to support because the color and look of kit, I'm sure the Cosmos would like a supporter.

(Plus, if you don't buy, it'll allow me to get my authentic long-sleeve Lampard from pre-sale faster)

Maybe you aren't happy with the colours of the kit. But to state that the club has no link with NY is absurd, it was to be expected that it would look similar to MCFC. If the shirt had navy blue pinstripes would there have been so much hate, no. The club can't demand to adidas what they want, they get given templates.

Relax.

The kit is a foundation to build off of for years to come. The kit will change over the years to develop its own character (like every soccer team). It wouldn't be rational if NYCFC strayed away from the global Man City brand and it shouldn't be a surprise that our kit is similar to Man City.

Why do defenders of the kit keep saying "similar" when the thing is more of a replica? Address the situation directly. Please. Don't hide behind euphemisms. All of the folks disappointed with the design have said, repeatedly and clearly, that we EXPECTED a similar design but wanted some differentiation. Then in response we hear. How did you expect it not to be similar?
Look. If you like the design - fine. And I won't get in the way of you getting yours sooner. Good for you. Seriously. Nor will I try to convince you that you shouldn't. Wins all around. But please give us the courtesy of acknowledging reality. We expected similar. What we got was no changes other than those contractually required: Adidas logo instead of Nike, NYCFC badge instead of MCFC, and MLS side patch instead of BPL. All of which had to be different. Then they have a big event and reveal: the MCFC design. No stripes (pin, orange or otherwise). No NYC elements besides the badge. Not even as much differentiation as Melbourne FC got. Jeez. Melbourne got more respect from City Group than NYC did.

We wanted our own gear. Similar is fine. Inspired by is fine. Brand extension is fine. Brand duplication is -- to me -- unimaginative and boring.

I wanted a shirt I could have worn without having to explain "No, I don't like Man City. Look closer."

But I'm tired of fighting over this. Buy it and wear it with pride and get much joy from it. And if you can't tell, I mean that without any sneers or sarcasm.