What Have Casual Fans Said To You About Our Chants And Support Culture?

Hasn't really caught on outside of HoO and the front of 238.
That's too bad because it has all the ingredients. It seems that cross-SG implementation issues may make it difficult which is too bad. If the TR sections tried it, I think it would quickly catch on and stick.

That Horse With No Name song will be so good with the whole supporters section and beyond singing and doing the bouncy.

Well we'll all follow New York wherever they play
We don't care if it's home or away
Cause we're New York City and we're proud of our name
So we'll all bounce around and we'll sing it again
La la la lalalala lalala la la...

Can I like this a hundred times?

I haven't sat near enough to the supporters' sections yet to hear or learn the songs, but I like this one a lot.

I will be in the bleachers on the other side with 4 kids and the wife for my son's 8th birthday party, and I am hoping that's close enough to get some of that atmosphere.

That Horse With No Name song will be so good with the whole supporters section and beyond singing and doing the bouncy.

8nlJwIS.gif

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders

Also, do we have to pronounce "again" with a British accent to make it rhyme? I'm totally ok with it.

Reactions: Paul

I love this even though I became sick of the song when it was first a hit in 1972 and I was 10. I've no desire to hear the original song ever again but this nevertheless works.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
I've been to nearly every game this year and I was a bit underwhelmed by the atmosphere Sunday, but the Yankees fan I brought was impressed, especially at the reaction to Mcnamera's goal. He also loved the drum, which surprised me.

It must be eye opening for long time yankees fans to see such different energy level, and average fan age in the stadium. I had the reverse experience a few weeks ago when I went to my first Yankees game. It was crazy how different it was. People didn't even stand when the yankees hit home runs or turned a double play. Everyone just clapped politely. It seems like at least 40% of the stadium at the Yankees game was 65+. It made me understand why stadium security is so freaked out during NYCFC games. They should have been better prepared so I'm not making excuses for them but the difference in atmosphere is literally like being at a library vs. a rock concert.

Funny, I just came on here to complain about this exact thing. First, I think TR has been doing great with the atmosphere at the stadium. When I'm at the game it feels great, and on TV there is always crowd noise.

But, the Hey Baby chant needs to go away. They do it too many times, and it just sounds lame to begin with. Where did it come from? Before this, I've never heard it at a sporting event. Is it something new, and what is the original song?

Also, chants don't have to have melodies or sound like a song. It can just be a shit-ton of people yelling something meaningful.

In due time, it will all come together. More songs, more variety, more engagement throughout the stadium (especially when we have our own stadium). We forget very quickly that we are a first year team. Comparing MLS atmosphere to EPL or any other Euro league is apples to oranges at this point in time. We're 20 years into soccer here and for NYCFC, many first timers this year. You're right, we're nothing like EPL atmosphere but we will get there in the coming years. In the interim, make suggestions, throw ideas out, even better, start a song or a chant in your section.

Reactions: joe and einwindir
I was completely disappointed in how the chants stopped 20 mins before the game ended. We should always do a 80 or 90 minute chant to keep things up. The team just fell flat once Sasha scored. It was pretty sad how quiet we got for the remainder of the game.

hey baby at sporting events other than nycfc matches:
penn st:

philly union:

lsu w band:

so, it seems like a thing that was around pre-TR...however, I do agree it could be used much less. The problem is, it is widely known, so when new songs or alternatives fail to get the people who have no interest in learning up on the other material singing, it is a good crutch just to get some noise made.

Tottenham also sing hey baby however I would recommend you not learn the full lyrics to that one as it is directed at Sol Campbell

am I the only one who hears Won't Back Down in my head when I see mention of Hey Baby on here?

Actually come to think of it THAT Hey Baby might make for a better chant than the current Hey Baby. Particularly when we are getting whooped.

Reactions: The Toe
In due time, it will all come together. More songs, more variety, more engagement throughout the stadium (especially when we have our own stadium). We forget very quickly that we are a first year team. Comparing MLS atmosphere to EPL or any other Euro league is apples to oranges at this point in time. We're 20 years into soccer here and for NYCFC, many first timers this year. You're right, we're nothing like EPL atmosphere but we will get there in the coming years. In the interim, make suggestions, throw ideas out, even better, start a song or a chant in your section.
Thank you.

Reactions: Goodfella
I'm surprised no one has tried to do the Game of Thrones intro at kickoff yet.

Reactions: The Toe
Haven't really heard anything positive from others in regards to the chants. But the TR is still very new, so I wouldn't criticize them too much. They're still figuring things out and trying to see what works.

Haven't really heard anything positive from others in regards to the chants. But the TR is still very new, so I wouldn't criticize them too much. They're still figuring things out and trying to see what works.
They are also not the only people/SG who chant.

Reactions: AndreT_NY