2015 Salary/cap Space

Paul

NYC ain't nothin' to fuck with!
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jun 1, 2014
NYC
I think it would be helpful for us to keep a running tally of NYCFC's 2015 roster salary/cap space.

So, can any of the forum's resident MLS experts give us an estimate of the cap already taken by Villa, Brovsky, Saunders and Lampard to get it started? Obviously we don't know the 2015 cap yet but we can keep a running total of money already commited for next season.

Reactions: einwindir
Lampard = $387,000
Villa = $387,000
Saunders = $95,000 (last reported wage)
Brovsky = $119,000

Current total $988,000

At current cap of $3.1 million that leaves $2.1 million free My guess is the cap will be closer to $4 million next year.

Now that doesn't take into account things like Expansion allocation funds (read: cap credit) which could be around $1 million. But it's an idea.

Last edited:
Lampard and Villa will both be a $387,500 hit against our cap

Good idea.
Based on current rule:
Cap: 3,100,000

LESS
Attack:
Villa: 387,500

MF:
Frank: 387,500
DP3: 387,500

Defense:
Brovsky: 115,ooo

Keeper:
Saunders: 95,000​

Total: 1,372,500
# of players: 5
CAP RMNDR: 1,727,500 =55.73% of total

Posting this even though I just updated and saw other one.

Updated to reflect DP cap hit. I used 368,750 initially since that's what's on NYCFC.COM.

Last edited:
Isn't $8 million the wage of Lampard ? What is $387,500 ?

A team can pay a Designated Player (each MLS team is currently permitted 3) anything they want but only $387,500 counts against the cap for a full season. The best way to think of it is that a DP is a limited exception to the salary cap.

Good idea.
Based on current rule:

LESS
Attack:

MF:

Defense:

Keeper:
Saunders: 95,000​

Total: 1,372,500
CAP RMNDR: 1,727,500 =55.73% of total

Posting this even though I just updated and saw other one.

Updated to reflect DP cap hit. I used 368,750 initially since that's what's on NYCFC.COM.
You forgot the $150,000 hit on the cap that NYCFC will take if they use the 3rd DP ( if they use it, as if).

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

MagnusPax MagnusPax
Based on current rule:

LESS
Attack:

MF:

Defense:

Keeper:
Saunders: 95,000

Penalty: 150,000

Total: 1,522,500 = 49% of cap
CAP RMNDR: 1,727,500 =51% of total cap avail

I wonder if more people will start seeing things a bit more...less positive after seeing it on paper.

Last edited:
Still there are so many details here, its hard to just throw up a list and total. For example if the 3rd DP is younger than 23, the cap hit is less. As I said before, this doesn't take into account things like Expansion allocation funds (read: cap credit) which could be around $1 million. In theory that adds essentially a million bucks to the NYCFC cap.

Still I agree that I hope more people see NYCFC needs to find more Brovskys of the world not Lampards to keep a solid team.

Reactions: Paul
Still there are so many details here, its hard to just throw up a list and total. For example if the 3rd DP is younger than 23, the cap hit is less. As I said before, this doesn't take into account things like Expansion allocation funds (read: cap credit) which could be around $1 million. In theory that adds essentially a million bucks to the NYCFC cap.

Still I agree that I hope more people see NYCFC needs to find more Brovskys of the world not Lampards to keep a solid team.

We need some pre-DP contract Zusis and Beslers and/or Nagbes/Alonsos. Guys who are lock starters for under/around $200k.

Reactions: MagnusPax
I can't see them going to 6 million. It would essentially make half the league unemployed as those 30k players would be dropped for 100k players

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I bet salary cap is around 6 mil next year.
Nice hope but I can't see it happening.

$4 million would be the single biggest jump in MLS history. Almost 25% increase in one contract. The owners of this league of lost too much getting to this point to just throw it all at roster payroll. I don't see it going much higher that 4.

However I do think more DPs or International slots like Vito said is very possible. Also how about different DPs, like say 2 DP slots for USA players vs 2 DP slots for non-Americans? Just some ideas.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Don't forget with the new CBA, we could see massive changes to the entire system, not just the cap amount. I hope they get a deal done well in advance of next year so the league is not left in limbo waiting to see what happens.

Don't forget with the new CBA, we could see massive changes to the entire system, not just the cap amount. I hope they get a deal done well in advance of next year so the league is not left in limbo waiting to see what happens.
Besides raising the amount, adding international slots and increasing DP, what other massive changes were you thinking?

The concept of free agency will probably not happen still with this CBA. MLS/NYCFC is a single-entity system and breaking that apart will not happen any time soon.

Besides raising the amount, adding international slots and increasing DP, what other massive changes were you thinking?

The concept of free agency will probably not happen still with this CBA. MLS/NYCFC is a single-entity system and breaking that apart will not happen any time soon.
You never know really. Could be something simple like minor tweaks to the draft rules and who retains rights to a player, or we could see wholesale changes such as completely revamping the whole DP system and more. It's just gonna be a wait and see situation.
The players know the league just got a big TV deal and will likely push for everything they can get, but how much leverage do they really have? Will players making <$100k with limited international appeal be supportive of a long work stoppage? I'm thinking probably not.

IDK if a 3rd DP is a good idea, at least right now. There may be some very good players left unprotected in the expansion draft (including DPs) solely due to their age and/or contract situation. Maybe we should start thinking of what players on other teams might not be protected and who we'd want to take. That could give us a better picture of how much salary space would be needed. I'm sure that's what our FO is doing right now.

Reactions: Kjbert