2017 Roster Discussion

Pirlo was one of the best players in the Serie A, probably top 3 even, and didn't set the league on fire. This "no name" isn't certainly isn't going to.

Like others have said, he will be decent for us, as long as he isn't a DP, because we need better than that.
Pirlo is a completely different skill set that don't translate to the MLS. Also we don't have the complimentary players that Pirlo needs. A highly skilled and someone who can create can be successful in this league. Someone who is a distributor needs help from those around them. When you have fucking idiots like Shelton with no technical ability or spacial awareness it's impossible to send through balls.

Apologies in advance, but man I actually can't wait till we no longer have to build a midfield around Pirlo.
No apologies needed. That's a fact. We have to surround our roster to protect him. This league doesn't lend itself to his skill set because we can't afford to surround him with people who can protect him. It's the salary cap its not him or us. We need DP's who can create on their own and don't need complimentary players around them. Or at least complimentary players that aren't expensive.

Reactions: Kjbert
Pirlo is a completely different skill set that don't translate to the MLS. Also we don't have the complimentary players that Pirlo needs. A highly skilled and someone who can create can be successful in this league. Someone who is a distributor needs help from those around them. When you have fucking idiots like Shelton with no technical ability or spacial awareness it's impossible to send through balls.
If Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan read your last sentence, he'd quote you as saying Shelton has two left feet and lacks depth perception..... nuances....

Edit: JayH JayH will then repost what you said and point out the differences.

Last edited:
We still haven't seen Ring yet. I think Vieira will play him as our 6. Seeing what he did with Iraola it's clear he values a DM who's good on the ball rather than a pure destroyer. Why do you think Sands has a real chance at making the team? Vieira likes the way he reads the game. Don't forget our style is possession, we play defense by holding on to the ball.

Apologies in advance, but man I actually can't wait till we no longer have to build a midfield around Pirlo.

The only silver lining is that the type of mids (high work rate, athletic, physical) that you need to protect Pirlo are also the type of players that typically do well in the MLS so at least we are not signing players that we will have no use for once he's gone.

If Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan read your last sentence, he'd quote you as saying Shelton has two left feet and lacks depth perception..... nuances....

Edit: JayH JayH will then repost what you said and point out the differences.
Actually, I'd say he has bricks instead of boots. And his runs look like they are guided by a Ritalin-fueled 14-year old playing FIFA. Full speed. Dead straight.

Actually, I'd say he has bricks instead of boots. And his runs look like they are guided by a Ritalin-fueled 14-year old playing FIFA. Full speed. Dead straight.
That's when he decides to run. He does an astonishing amount of standing there lost awaiting for someone to tell him to make a run.
giphy.gif

We still haven't seen Ring yet. I think Vieira will play him as our 6. Seeing what he did with Iraola it's clear he values a DM who's good on the ball rather than a pure destroyer. Why do you think Sands has a real chance at making the team? Vieira likes the way he reads the game. Don't forget our style is possession, we play defense by holding on to the ball.
All true. But so many cynical comments I want to make about defense/holding the ball/DMs.

Reactions: Kjbert
Honestly, we need a better CAM than TMac. The ball just isn't moving quickly enough upfield with him. I think he could still be useful on the wing, but Emelec abused him in the center of the field. He looks too slow when he has the ball at his feet carrying forward and we're going to need to fix that with speed and quickness (which seems to be Maxi) or someone who can fight off a defender with positioning and strength (which Frank did well). Pirlo connecting to Maxi 30-35 yards away from goal could add some really neat 1-2 play with Villa and Harrison. His quick feet will work really well with the style we're trying to play.

I agree that he's worthy of a DP spot, and it still leaves us open to the half-season TAM signing, replacing Pirlo next year. If LAG could convince De Jong on if, I'm sure we can lure someone, too.

Amazing for a team like Atlanta, maybe. But we should be shooting higher than that, no?
You have no idea. No one has any clue. Everyone's assuming.
We're critiquing his skill as if we watch him play every week and actually know what we're talking about.
Also lets keep in consideration that we apparently signed like 4 other players this offseason because some Spanish media said so and idk of any that actually happened yet.