2017 Roster Discussion

There are plent of young players from South America or eredivisie we could get with great potential if we were willing to spend. Tons of talent we could acquire with our 3rd dp spot.
Just curious which players you would use the third DP spot on this window?

When it comes to dps there is no limit to what you can spend. Allocation money has nothing to do with it. Nycfc should be willing to spend like Atlanta on their dps

I remember when I was that ignorant of sports as a buisness.

CFG regard NYCFC as an investment, not as a money sink. Excluding the Mix move, the front office has proven to be very very savvy in basically all aspects of its operations.

In management's view its likely that they think NYCFC can scrape by enough wins in the first half of the season to not jepordize our chances at the playoffs, or we will be in that situation by the time the first game rolls around. The difference between purchasing in the summer and now is probably a few million dollars, which if we have learned anything from estimates of MLS clubs revenue streams is that a few million dollars is a lot of money.

Why should the owner be willing to splash cash Willy nilly if having a shot at the title means you just need to finish in the top half. While it's probably in our buisness plan to have one of the leagues highest payrolls, there is exactly zero reason to spend more now if it means we have to spend less later.

I remember when I was that ignorant of sports as a buisness.

CFG regard NYCFC as an investment, not as a money sink. Excluding the Mix move, the front office has proven to be very very savvy in basically all aspects of its operations.

In management's view its likely that they think NYCFC can scrape by enough wins in the first half of the season to not jepordize our chances at the playoffs, or we will be in that situation by the time the first game rolls around. The difference between purchasing in the summer and now is probably a few million dollars, which if we have learned anything from estimates of MLS clubs revenue streams is that a few million dollars is a lot of money.

Why should the owner be willing to splash cash Willy nilly if having a shot at the title means you just need to finish in the top half. While it's probably in our buisness plan to have one of the leagues highest payrolls, there is exactly zero reason to spend more now if it means we have to spend less later.
It's called ambition

A young cm from the netherlands preferably like tonny vilhena
The MLS needs some time before most promising young kids from Europe are willing to give up their dreams of top tier European stardom for a move here. There may be exceptions. Down south is the better option. I think we will continue to explore that resource as we have done. We may have even gone bigger that way if Pirlo had decided to retire and we had two DP spots to play with.

When it comes to dps there is no limit to what you can spend. Allocation money has nothing to do with it. Nycfc should be willing to spend like Atlanta on their dps

Last season we spent 18 million on DPs. This season we are spending 12 million with only two DPs and that is probably more than what Atlanta is spending on transfer fees and salary per season on their two DPs.

The MLS needs some time before most promising young kids from Europe are willing to give up their dreams of top tier European stardom for a move here. There may be exceptions. Down south is the better option. I think we will continue to explore that resource as we have done. We may have even gone bigger that way if Pirlo had decided to retire and we had two DP spots to play with.
Why are you replying?

Going on sort of a rant! I am pissed at our lack of moves this offseason! Man city drop 30m on a bench player in the 2nd window yet we can't eve drop 5-10m on a young promising player for years to come! I know for a fact we'd have options if we were willing to pay and this offseason has been a total disappointment thus far. Lost a lot replaced little. I don't want Sami khedira I want a young dp like Atlanta united! We definitely can afford it! Alright hope everybody is having a good day.

You can only splash cash on three players in MLS. And two of those players for us is Villa and Pirlo. We can't just spend like Man City on Jesus, Stones, and whoever else they pick up. MLS is tactical and strategic in its spending. When the front office finds the right guy, they'll go after that one guy.

But I agree, we need some more players on our roster to fill out positions and depth. But as previous seasons have told us, it's still early and there's still time to sign players.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
You can only splash cash on three players in MLS. And two of those players for us is Villa and Pirlo. We can't just spend like Man City on Jesus, Stones, and whoever else they pick up. MLS is tactical and strategic in its spending. When the front office finds the right guy, they'll go after that one guy.

But I agree, we need some more players on our roster to fill out positions and depth. But as previous seasons have told us, it's still early and there's still time to sign players.
We can splash on our open dp spot I am very aware of the mls rules... plus we should have a lot of tam... only have 2 players on the roster as far as I know

Reactions: Christopher Jee